Epsom in a pea for constipation?

cmclien

So Bing, my large fantail finished two weeks of MM's. I wanted to help replace the good bacteria in his gut so ordered Jump Start. I gave him about 5 pellets Sunday night. Yesterday (Monday) I noticed he was bottom sitting before I went to work. Last night, he was still that way and now today all day he is still that way. He tried to get up to the top and he can make it to get a pea but then he falls back down to the bottom reminding me of a kite that has lost its wind. He has not done this in over a year and I'm a little concerned.

Would a pellet of epsom salt in a pea help? Once I figured out he was pretty much stuck on the bottom I have only given him a little bit of veggies, peas, green bean and zuchini last night and this morning in the hopes it would get things moving along but it hasn't helped.

I've seen it recommended here before but could not remember the circumstances i.e., general constipation from something specific like this or another scenario....

You could probably try it. But it sounds to me like his swim bladder has a problem. Has he done this behavior before ?

Not really. He rests at night some but always swims all day long. When he was much younger, about 18 months ago before I took him off progold and added veggies to his daily diet he would sit some days but I cannot remember the last time he did this. It also seems very sudden to me. This wouldn't be related to MM treatment I hope.

After only 36 hrs his pectoral fins are showing some signs of irritation so I swept up a bunch of the sand/gravel and put it in the center of the tank so he can rest on the glass.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by CindiL

This morning he was still sitting. I decided to feed them all a couple bites of their pellet food since they only have had veggies since monday morning. He came up and sank a few times but then seemed to have an easier time staying up some and when I left he was at the top eating air like they always do after meals. I have my fingers crossed he is better now. After only three days he has sore spots and a couple tears in his tail. If he was to stay that way I would have to remove all the substrate. I had to leave for work but I felt a little hopeful seeing him like that when I leff at least.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

No, nothing apparent anyways though he gets constipated very easily. I switched them all to bloodworms or pellet food in the AM and only veggies at night which helped. I will look tonight.

Cindi, I have been working with a diet for my very floaty fish and I wondered if you'd like to see how it works with your guys:

Instead of feeding protein (Bloodworms, pellets) first thing in the morning, feed only at night as the last meal of the day. During the day, try your best to give them lots of fresh veggies to graze on or gel-based veggie foods.

The theory behind this is that the veggies move through the fish more quickly and efficiently than the proteins, which take longer to metabolize. When you feed a goldfish veggies after protein, the veggies sit longer in the fish's system and I believe this creates the gas that some floating issues stem from because they have time to really ferment in there while things are backed up. If you wait to feed them the slow-digesting food until the very last meal, it gives them at least 4-6 hours to work all of that slow-moving protein out of their digestive systems before you feed them again.

I hope he looks alright when you get home. :please

Edited by ChelseaM

Cindi, I have been working with a diet for my very floaty fish and I wondered if you'd like to see how it works with your guys:

Instead of feeding protein (Bloodworms, pellets) first thing in the morning, feed only at night as the last meal of the day. During the day, try your best to give them lots of fresh veggies to graze on or gel-based veggie foods.

The theory behind this is that the veggies move through the fish more quickly and efficiently than the proteins, which take longer to metabolize. When you feed a goldfish veggies after protein, the veggies sit longer in the fish's system and I believe this creates the gas that some floating issues stem from because they have time to really ferment in there while things are backed up. If you wait to feed them the slow-digesting food until the very last meal, it gives them at least 4-6 hours to work all of that slow-moving protein out of their digestive systems before you feed them again.

I hope he looks alright when you get home. :please

:bingo: Edited by Justin

It would be easy to try as its the opposite of what I'm doing now. My oranda Bilbo is very floaty most of the time. Maybe it would help both of them. Its weird because I have one who floats, one who sinks and one with zero issues at all.

Occasionally I find myself having to give one of my fish an Epsom pea or two but it is my absolute last resort. She is easily constipated and I prefer to try veggies before anything else.

Red lettuce and any dark leafy greens like kale and spinach seem to be a favourite for goldies. :D

I am so happy. When I came home from work he was still swimming. I will never feed him Jump Start again. He used to sit sometimes when he would get progold as a little guy. There must be something in it that just plugs him up! I usually give them a combo of Saki Hikari purple and Omega one small goldfish pellets. Hopefully the Saki Hikari will have enough probiotics to help him out after the antibiotics.

I will try the new feeding schedule starting tomorrow, with veggies only tonight.

I don't know about sinking but I do know with floaty fish, sometimes switching to sinking pellets and flakes that get pushed down to break surface tension help. Because they will gasp air in at the surface, air can get stuck and they can't burp so it can make them floaty but I don't know if it would cause them to sink. And some fish are also more prone to sink or float than others as is.