Sign in to follow this  
RubySue

Felidae Pure Sea?

I'm still in the process of cycling my tank, but I am considering different diets for goldfish and I was wondering if anyone has ever used or would recommend trying Felidae pure Sea dry food for cats? I don't know much about goldfish nutritional needs (which is I'm asking :D ) but I fed my oscar Canidae because it is higher quality than the foods I could find at the lfs and his colors improved a lot once he was on that food.

It seems to have a breakdown very similar to most of the goldfish foods, but with slightly lower protein (32%) and higher fat (17%), but these were still in some of the ranges I saw with different brands of goldie food. Maybe that could be made up for by supplementing with bloodworms or something else high protein?

Here are the ingredients: Salmon meal, menhaden meal, potato protein, potatoes, canola oil, peas, natural flavor, choline chloride, methionine, taurine, sun cured alfalfa meal, inulin (from chicory root), lecithin, sage extract, cranberries, beta carotene, rosemary extract, sunflower oil, yucca schidigera extract, Dried Enterococcus faecieum fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, Dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, niacin, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, zinc sulfate, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin A supplement, biotin, potassium iodide, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, manganous oxide, sodium selenite, vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid, cobalt proteinate, papaya, pineapple

Thanks for any input!

Hmmm great diet for catfish :-) :-)

but seriously goldfish will try most things! but fancy's suffer with floating issues! I guess the answer is try a very small amount, but I would use a tried and tested food supplemented with veg!

Goldfish are primarily herbivorous. I would use something like Repashy Soilent or Super green, or New Life Spectrum Thera + A 1mm pellets.

Cat food just seems to high in animal protein, doesn't seem to have the right nutritional balance, as well as being pretty large.

Edited by ChelseaM

I think Shakaho has mentioned feeding cat? dog? food to her goldfish (or someone she knows does), but those are large pond fish, not goldfish in a tank.

When I was about 13 years old, I had a friend whose father had enormous goldfish and he sometimes fed them deer meat!!

Ok, thank you for the input. I think I'll go with Hikari and veggies :)

That amount of fat is way too much. I would not use it.