Sign in to follow this  
Abyss

Price of generic ranchus at my LPS

Whoa. At my lfs a goldfish of that size (doesn't matter what kind) would never be more than $10...and that's on the high end. Is there anything special about these guys?

I like the one in the right hand photo that looks like it is staring into my soul lol.

My little ranchu ran me 20 dollars, I was going to get my hands on a chocolate red ranchu but they said it was going to die soon they thought, because when they went at it with a net, it rolled into it, so I said "Grab me the smallest" and they surprised me with my little Valentine. Love it. But put me back 20 bucks. Which is totally worth it.

Wow! Ya'll are SO lucky! I have NEVER seen a Ranchu around here!! (Only Psmart type stores close by) If I saw one there 1st I would :thud then I would snatch up a couple of them!!!!!

I can't get my LFS to bring in anything but fancies. The lionheads I ordered were bigger than what I wanted. The fan tails showed obvious ich and the pearlscales were less than quality at its lowest point. I'm still working on finding a good ranchu dealer online.

The ranchus sold in my area are usually around $6. They are common but poor quality (usually with bumps on their backs, and very skinny, with little or no tail tuck). The ones in your photo are much more expensive, but look to be much better quality than the ones we get.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

My LFS has both small sized and medium sized ranchus. I just went there and there were a BUNCH. Like 50+ haha. A lot were black and calico chus though. The blacks are 11.99 each. The "assorted" ranchus were 8.99 for small and 14.99 for the medium.

7 months ago I paid $35 each for three 3-1/2 inch Ranchu's from a breeder. All 3 have great color and have been healthy from day one. I would not be willing to pay that at a pet store. Pet store fish are just not the same quality as what you can get from a breeder for a few bucks more. I see the price sign in your pic is $29. If I told you that you could pay $6 more, in exchange for knowing the fish's whole life history, get a fish that is already accustomed to being handled, and eliminate alot of the start-up health headaches, wouldnt it be worth it?

I think that is expensive. They do not look "good enough" for that price. At my independent LFS, a 4" ranchu with nice curve costs $ 40.

The ones in your pics look to be maybe 1.5", and many of them look of mediocre quality. These cost about $6 at the chain stores.

I do recommend East coast ranchu ;). They have a lot of options of quality chus, of course you'll have to pay for shipping :(. I personally think it's worth it for a better quality fish. I also recently saw some decent ranchus on ebay (probably not the best source) but looked decent quality for about $25. (Then of course you have to pay shipping). For a pet store and quality, I say those are too high.