Sign in to follow this  
amiegreen

Ranchu: bottom sitting, not eating, inactive

Thankyou!

I dosed the tank with Tri-Sulfa yesterday morning, and in the evening the tank was littered with these long stringy white poops, at least three, more than an inch long! I tried to take a picture before I removed them, they were caught on wire of the digital thermometer. http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e286/amiegreen/1_zps5718e540.jpg

He seems to be eating a little today (I've seen him eat a few bloodworms). I'm still syringe feeding, but trying to add a few chopped up bloodworms, as well as occasionally dropping in one or two, to try to entice him not to spit it all out. He does seem a bit more active.

Edited by amiegreen

how's he doing, hun? lets not worry about the poops for now. right now we are doing all we can for him. the medicine he's on is pretty good and i remain optimistic.

He still seems okay, better than on Sunday. He's a bit more active, and seems to be swallowing more of the food (he'll spit it out, but then suck it back up and swallow a little bit of it, and also a bloodworm or two a day). The spots on his face are less red, but a little black. I've been checking tank params every morning and night. Tomorrow marks 3 days of tri-sulfa, if I remove it (like the bottle says), should I redose?

Edited by amiegreen

I did a water change last night as the medication had been in for three days.

Today, he doesn't look good at all. He's not moving his fins or gills at all, and is just kind of floating (not upside down) around the tank. I reached in to pick him up to try and feed him, and he was lifeless. I think he has passed on.

i am sorry hun, it was the best treatment he could be on :(

it happens that sometimes no matter what you try, we can't fix it. would you take him down to New Life and just explain what happened? perhaps they will offer you another fish and we can try a more aggressive QT.

if they say anything at the New Life you go to, let me know & i will call Geoffrey.

I'm so sorry for your baby ranchu.

Thank you Lisa.

I have already buried him so I can't take him back, but maybe I'll go back one day with photos, but at the same time I don't think I'll get another fish soon, I'm going to clean out the tank and keep it for when I get another fish maybe in a couple of weeks.

I do want to thank you :heart , and Koko's, for the help I got trying to save him, I'm at peace with his passing because I know we all did what we could.

Thank you Lisa.

I have already buried him so I can't take him back, but maybe I'll go back one day with photos, but at the same time I don't think I'll get another fish soon, I'm going to clean out the tank and keep it for when I get another fish maybe in a couple of weeks.

I do want to thank you :heart , and Koko's, for the help I got trying to save him, I'm at peace with his passing because I know we all did what we could.

aaww hun.. i'm so sorry :(

tell you what. when you feel like getting another goldie, let me know and we can arrange to visit Geoffrey together. we'll get another little special one :heart

Aw thank you Helen :heart , but the other day I accidently found a little calico ranchu at City Farmers (all the tanks looked healthy), maybe if I get another baby one day :) . Here he is (he is a quick swimmer, the only pictures I could get were of his butt):

7f2f3ac8-f1b9-4c3c-ac6f-d3cb08dc9671_zps

QT has been relatively uneventful: after a week of salt at 0.3% he was doing fine until he started doing a little bit of bottom sitting and swimming fast, but he's still eating and pooping like a machine so I bought salt down to 0.1% and dosed prazi yesterday.

Edited by amiegreen