· Nitrite Level(Tank) = 0ppm

· Nitrate level(Tank) = 0ppm

· Ammonia Level(Tap) = 0.25ppm

· Nitrite Level(Tap) = 0ppm

· Nitrate level(Tap) = 0ppm

· Ph Level, (Tank) = 7

· Ph Level, (Tap) = 7

Other Required Info:

· Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Drops.

· Water temperature? 23 degrees Celsius.

· Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 20G QT, about a week.

· What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Eheim Internal 2012 (150GPH)

· How often do you change the water and how much? Everyday, around 70%.

· How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? An hour ago, 80%.

· How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 (a ranchu about an inch and a half in body length).

· What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime.

· What do you feed your fish and how often? A range of small meals of various sinking hikari pellets, peas+ garlic, bloodworms and repashy soilent green, coming back to vacuum the uneaten food after around 20 mins. Have tried 2 – 3 times a day (except the first day).

· Any new fish added to the tank? No.

· Any medications added to the tank? None yet.

· List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. None yet.

· Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? None.

· Any unusual behaviour like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Bottom sitting (now), not eating or pooping, surface gulping (not today but the last couple of days).

Hi, sorry if I’m being paranoid but I think my new baby ranchu is sick. I’ve had him 5 days, and despite offering small meals of various foods he isn’t eating or showing any interest, and is bottom sitting, and when he’s not bottom sitting he’s gulping at the surface (filter outtake is angled towards it, with a weakish air stone so there is water movement that’s not too strong I believe).

I haven’t started a medication regime as of yet because I ordered some prazi but it probably wont arrive until late this week and was just planning on using salt, but wanted to give him a few days of rest. But now that he’s very inactive and has no appetite, I was wondering whether I should go and get some prazi to treat him sooner, or if it is something else causing this behaviour. Thanks for the advice; I’m just worried for him as none of my other goldfish have ever acted like this.

I'm sorry he isn't feeling well. Would you be able to provide some pictures and a video? That would help us greatly!

Thankyou, are these okay?

Photos

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e286/amiegreen/DSC05954_zps92f7f21e.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e286/amiegreen/DSC05956_zps691afb9a.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e286/amiegreen/DSC05958_zpsa039251e.jpg

Video

http://s41.photobucket.com/user/amiegreen/media/P1260226_zpse6631e08.mp4.html

He is usually still on the bottom, but sometimes when I walk right up to the tank he'll move around a little but then he'll stop moving again.

Edited by amiegreen

Poor little baby. Has he eaten nothing? Not even blood worms? Do you have a aquarium heater?

It looked like yesterday he was going to eat, he ate a few pellets of hikari pellets, but then spat them back out. I don't have a heater but I could get one, although it is going to be 30+ degrees for the next few days.

I've noticed that he has these few little tiny spots of white on his face around his eyes that have popped up, and at first I thought nothing of them but now it kind of looks like one has popped and a little bit of white is trailing off like pus.

i am concerned for those spots too.. i am also concerned for the inflamed lateral line. are there anymore spots of concern on the fish other than what i have outlined? can you confirm the Lateral Line i have circled is inflamed? if it is, can you tell me if it is also inflamed on the other side? and if he has spots on the other side of his wen also.

amiegreen_zps5fd6c8ef.jpg

The lateral line on his right does look inflamed, but not on the other side.

There seem to be three spots on his right, and three or four on the other as well, around his eye area however they are redder on his right side (pictured). The only other things I have noticed on him is that around those spots on his wen seem to be very red, like when the light hits it, the veins seem obvious and red (i'm not sure whether this is normal, as he is my first calico). And as of a few hours ago, the veins on his tail too appear red (I checked the water conditions again just to make sure nothing had popped up, and everything was the same).

I can try and take some more pictures if needed.

Edited by amiegreen

where in Melbourne are you, hun? which suburb?

Poor little dear; I hope she feels better, soon. :heart

Thank you! I live in Frankston on the Mornington Peninsula.

ok.. tomorrow is a public holiday, but do ring the normal place you go for fish product and see if you can get Triple Sulfa. do you have Metronidazole? Metronidazole is available only by prescription either by Vet or GP (doctor).. but, i have a stash here.

the only problem is that the medfood will need to be made and fed very soon(ish) so i am not sure that even dispatch overnight on Tuesday for Wednesday delivery is something we can wait for & Frankston is pretty far. can you make it into the CBD tomorrow at all?

I don't have any metronidazole unfortunately. Thank-you, tomorrow morning I'll ring around and try to get Triple Sulfa, most fish shops I know of around here are open tomorrow. I'm able to make it into the city tomorrow, or anywhere accessible by public transport.

Edited by amiegreen

ok. please send me an email to #####@bigpond.net.au we will exchange details. i am at the foot of the city, so you can come here and we will make the medfood you need or i can make it & freeze it for when you come to collect :)

Thank you so much, I sent an email your way.

got it! and responded :)

see you tomorrow :bighug

Amie! so wonderful to meet with you and you and your Uncle :heart

update: Amie has walked away with ready made repashy medfood and instructions on what to do for syringe feeding if needed as well as some extra Metronidazole in case we need to add to the water should all attempts to feed, fail.

Good luck! You are in good hands. :)

Best of luck to you and your fish, Amie! :bighug

Helen is the best, you're lucky to have her nearby. :teehee

Thank-you everybody, especially you Helen! It was lovely meeting you and your fish, and I learnt a lot today :heart :heart , I'm so amazed at what such generous people are here and their dedication to goldfish. P.s I'll post the ice-pack back to you tomorrow.

I weighed him and he is 12 grams, so I cut up a cube of 0.24 grams into around 8 pieces, and he's already eaten 2, I'll keep feeding him small amounts every few hours and see how he goes :).

YAY!! he's eating!! that's wonderful news :heart :heart

I'm so happy to read this!! :heart

Unfortunately he isn't eating anymore (he never ate more after those 2 cubes), despite the offerings. I've also tried twice to syringe feed him, it's easy enough to get it in his mouth, but then he'll either spit it out or it'll all come back out (as far as I can tell) through his gills. Should I keep trying to feed him, or move on to water dosing?

Edited by amiegreen

i am sorry to read this update :( when was it that you understood that he was actually eating? ie, the last time he actually ate without spitting food out?

Yesterday afternoon, when he ate the few cubes. He seemed interested and was nibbling, and when I came back into the room, they were gone. I had turned off the filter to make sure no food was sucked into it too, and checked around the tank.

ok. now the fish is in QT.. the instructions is 1 tablet for every 40 liters of water. crush the tablet like i showed you. get a small amount of tank water into a disposable cup or a glass that will be cleaned well afterwards.

dissolve the sulfa into the water and then add it to the tank.

it is important that you understand that the addition of Tri Sulfa to your tank will most likely kill the cycle in this tank. so from here on, you need to keep checking for ammonia spike in the QT tank. if ammonia is spiking, add prime. continue to try feeding the fish via syringe. hopefully the appetite will come back again.

also, if you have something super tasty like bloodworms, try to feed him one or two. it could be that he's not liking the taste of the medicine and he might like the blood worms. if this is so, we can add bloodworms to the food we made, but try to experiment first.

i have to go out now, but i will check back the moment i return. good luck :heart