Bad Eggs?

goldiegeek

Hi Guys,

My nuggets, from two tanks, have been spawning non stop since November. I have tried to raise about 7 batches of fry, with terrible luck. I have been able to hatch and grow fry from one tank to a maximum of 5 weeks old, 4 times. My current fry were born January 1. One of the tanks that is spawning reguarly has 2 male jellyhead orandas (veiltail) and a red and white ryukin female (also veiltail). I would LOVE to get some fry from them, they would be magnificent.

I have never even gotten any fry to hatch from that tank. They get the methylene blue, 90% are dead/unfertilized and the other 10% don't make it to hatching. So frustrating.

Yesterday, they were spawning agin. I was watching closely because it's the tank with my old man in it and he's not doing so well. It was great to see him chasing:) Anyhow, there were a TON of eggs, so I thought I may give it a go. On closer inspection, a lot of them were just rolling around the tank, not sticking to anything. Many had abnormal shapes and a little piece sticking out of them. From what I could see, it was a total bust:(

Question: Is it possible for a female to have bad eggs? I thought maybe because they are spawning so much that the quality of the eggs may have taken a dive...I'd love to know why I can't seem to find any success with these three. They are so gorgeous and I am dying to get some fry from them. Especially because the old man is getting older...any ideas?

From what I have heard the first three batches of eggs tend to be the best. Is your female on a regular cycle now? You can boost up her egg making powers :rofl by feeding more frozen live food like blood worms and brine shrimp. His might help her get more protein to form better eggs. Other option is that they are not being fertilized effectively. You could try hand spawning. If you are not comfortable with handling the female that is fine, there is the risk of rupturing an ovary if you push too hard on her. Usually if you get a bowl (make sure it sinks and can fit in your fry tank) fill it with tank water and you can just hold the female in it and her wiggling to swim will push out tons of eggs. After getting the eggs put her back in the tank. Then select the daddy you want and gently push on his sides near the vent and milt will come out, get the water in the bowl as milty as you can without stressing him too badly, then put him back. Then swirl around the water to get as many fertilized as possible. Let is "marinate" for 30 min and then do a waterchange with water from the tank so the eggs have the same conditions they were spawned in. I have had lots of success with this method. Another thing is, how old are your fish?

From what I have heard the first three batches of eggs tend to be the best. Is your female on a regular cycle now? You can boost up her egg making powers :rofl by feeding more frozen live food like blood worms and brine shrimp. His might help her get more protein to form better eggs. Other option is that they are not being fertilized effectively. You could try hand spawning. If you are not comfortable with handling the female that is fine, there is the risk of rupturing an ovary if you push too hard on her. Usually if you get a bowl (make sure it sinks and can fit in your fry tank) fill it with tank water and you can just hold the female in it and her wiggling to swim will push out tons of eggs. After getting the eggs put her back in the tank. Then select the daddy you want and gently push on his sides near the vent and milt will come out, get the water in the bowl as milty as you can without stressing him too badly, then put him back. Then swirl around the water to get as many fertilized as possible. Let is "marinate" for 30 min and then do a waterchange with water from the tank so the eggs have the same conditions they were spawned in. I have had lots of success with this method. Another thing is, how old are your fish?

We have hand spawned with the same results. About 200 eggs, maybe 25 survived the blue and they were all gone by day 4:(

These guys spawn like twice aweek, have since November. It's nuts. They are over 8 years old, one of the males is about 13 (now I feel dumb for asking why their eggs suck)

My other pair spawn a little less, maybe three times in two weeks, they are about two and three years old. I started off with the same results, although the first batch did yield 1 hatchling, who died at 5 weeks old...I had 23 hatch from their last spawn, so they are good.

I'll try the protein for sure. Right now they get it once a week, so not a lot. She probably needs some anyway just from all her hard work:) Thanks for the suggestion!

I don't have any answers, but wish you luck!

I'm grasping at straws here, trying to figure it out. I can't be that bad at raising fry (or attempting to anyway lol). Come on, it's gotta be something lol.

What is this blue stuff? I have raised a hundred single tail fry and about 25 fancy fry and haven't used anything.

Some people use Methylene Blue to prevent fungus from spreading to fertile eggs before hatching.

What is this blue stuff? I have raised a hundred single tail fry and about 25 fancy fry and haven't used anything.

Ah methylene blue *hearts*. I had one egg not go bad in a total of probably 400 plus eggs. It was suggested to me by other users, so I figured I had nothing to lose. Not only did I get my biggest hatching, but after you take it out, all of the dead/unfertilized eggs are dyed blue and the good ones stay tan. Makes it so easy to see what you have to remove. I hated the guessing game:)

Some people won't go near it, I now swear by it. It's the only thing that has gotten me to hatching, save that one fry. I was losing all the eggs by day 4.

The only other thing that worked (once) was leaving the eggs in the parent tank until day 6 and then transferring them. I wasn't going to raise them but then I just couldn't leave them when I saw how many there were. I wanted to try that again, but alas, none of the eggs have made it past snack time since. Methylene blue it is! lol

I use the blue stuff on my eggs as well. The only other thing I can suggest is that they might be too old? I think fish are in their breeding prime from 2-5 years old? Im not sure though. I had a problem with flukes with my fry but I don't know if that is what you are experiencing. I treat my main tanks with parents with prazi when I know breeding season is coming and then I treat the fry at 2 weeks of age.

I use the blue stuff on my eggs as well. The only other thing I can suggest is that they might be too old? I think fish are in their breeding prime from 2-5 years old? Im not sure though. I had a problem with flukes with my fry but I don't know if that is what you are experiencing. I treat my main tanks with parents with prazi when I know breeding season is coming and then I treat the fry at 2 weeks of age.

I do 4 rounds of Prazi starting at one week old with mine. If I don't, the flukes get them without fail. The main tanks were treated for flukes in November. This morning, I went to feed my fry, who were looking great and huge:) Surprise! My big one was lying on the floor of the tank dead and the smaller one is doing barrel rolls. I took some photos to see if anyone can tell what's up. I don't want to start another thread about my darn fry, so I'll post here. Their gills look a little red, but i don't know if that is just normal development. I'm bummed, the big one was looking really nice. I think he was going to be the chocolate that I was looking for:(

Here is big daddy and small fry, sorry, phone shots:

3yduhuge.jpg4ajaja7y.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I fed Small Fry breakfast, all over the tank lol. I hope he can get to it, poor little guy. He was slightly floaty for about a day before this morning. Big Daddy showed no signs that anything was wrong. Today was supposed to be the start of round 4 on the prazi...here we go again. Ugh.

Edit: The ammonia test is the brightest yellow I've ever seen, nitrite's at 0, Nitrate is at 5ppm.

Edited by goldiegeek

What are you feeding them?

They get bbs for the first week or two, then 50% bbs and 50% Hikari First Bites, watered down.

I just realized why you look so familiar. You look exactly like Kate Winslet! You must have heard that before:)

Well your food for them seems fine, I'm really having a hard time seeing anything wrong with your setup.... :( I wish I could help more.

And i have heard that before, my family thinks I look like her lol. Thanks :)

Sarah - If fish are anything like us, chromosomal abnormalities with eggs would increase with advanced age. That could be one possibility that the eggs are not hatching. It could also be that they are not being properly fertilized…which would be the male's issue. Either way they are both getting up there in years. Have you tried breeding younger fish with any success? Do you think the early 5 week losses of your fry are from a chromosomal issue or environmental?

I also can't see obvious reason this is happening. I see you are doing a 4th round of prazi on the fry. How many weeks are they now? 4? Could the prazi stress them out because they are so small? Trying to brainstorm with you, but I am kind of at a loss myself.

Coincidentally, there was prazi in my main tank with the spawning occurred. I'm thinking of doing a round at the 2 week mark. How many rounds do most people do?

I agree! At least in this profile picture you look so much like Kate Winslet! :D

Well your food for them seems fine, I'm really having a hard time seeing anything wrong with your setup.... :( I wish I could help more.

Yeah, it's a mystery. I started out needing improvements, but I've learned so much and fixed everything I can. Believe me, I wish there were something wrong with my set up so I could fix it:)

I used to get people telling me I looked like Alanis Morisette when I was younger.

Thanks for all of your input. I'm starting to think it's my supersaturated gases. That's the only thing left.

Sarah - If fish are anything like us, chromosomal abnormalities with eggs would increase with advanced age. That could be one possibility that the eggs are not hatching. It could also be that they are not being properly fertilized…which would be the male's issue. Either way they are both getting up there in years. Have you tried breeding younger fish with any success? Do you think the early 5 week losses of your fry are from a chromosomal issue or environmental?

I also can't see obvious reason this is happening. I see you are doing a 4th round of prazi on the fry. How many weeks are they now? 4? Could the prazi stress them out because they are so small? Trying to brainstorm with you, but I am kind of at a loss myself.

Coincidentally, there was prazi in my main tank with the spawning occurred. I'm thinking of doing a round at the 2 week mark. How many rounds do most people do?

I agree! At least in this profile picture you look so much like Kate Winslet! :D

Heya! I have never had one hatch from the senior tank. All my little ones have come from my chocolate oranda and copper fantail. They are about 2-3 years old. It's their fry I can't seem to get past 5 weeks. Man was I bummed when I went in this morning. Big Daddy was looking perfect when I went to bed. I see no parasites and the gills aren't as red as I'd thought they were. STUMPED. My husband suggested it's just a numbers game since I don't get a lot of eggs hatching. I feel like I live in a goldfish horror house. lol

These two were born January 1. I prazi at one week old. Most people do 4 rounds. I didn't see any signs of stress at all. I don't know what's more frustrating, losing my fry or trying to figure out the cause. I'm not giving up, though. Taking a break, yes, but I'll go again. Poor wee fishies.