Sign in to follow this  
Mikey

SUNSUN Canister Filter (Leak Fix!)

So a few of you may know that my canister has been leaking when I tilt it. Well, I solved the problem and figured it out! Now I'm going to let you know so you don't have my problem :).

When the canister is turned off for cleaning and you take out the connector valve for the safe stop, there are two holes. 44703550-72B3-401F-9511-EC0D7BA9942E_zps411D3395-9F9F-4BF4-8CBC-B9A99EB38170_zps

When water gets in them, it goes into the filter head and then into the 8 little reservoirs. A3EFB502-1C12-4B73-803B-BAF581FAC90E_zps489377FF-5B95-4F66-A5D3-1D1495AC77F3_zps

If they fill too much, (too much water goes in the two top holes) they leak. And when I tilted my filter to get the air out, it would leak. Now I know the problem and it no longer leaks!

I hope this post helps others! I would imagine this goes for the Aquatop (name brand model) ones as well? It has almost the same design.

Edited by Mikey

Very clever fix ! I've never used a cannister filter before.... I know they allow for much better filtration than HOBs but I've always wondered, can you use one without cutting intake holes in your aquarium? The setup has always seemed super confusing to me :blink:

Very clever fix ! I've never used a cannister filter before.... I know they allow for much better filtration than HOBs but I've always wondered, can you use one without cutting intake holes in your aquarium? The setup has always seemed super confusing to me :blink:

You don't need to drill your tank for it.

What do you meen cutting? With these the intake and outflow just go over the top and into the tank.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Edited by Daniel E.

do you just hand the intake and outflow pieces over the edge of the aquarium?

Are they any quieter than HOBs?

i'm very intrigued, sorry for all the questions lol

i think, should i chose to get a bigger tank, i'd like to invest in a canaster filter :)

What do you meen cutting? With these the intake and outflow just go over the top and into the tank.

I've seen some people with aquariums who've literally sliced out a small circle of back wall of the aquarium to put in an outflow piece..... i'll try to find a picture.....

outflow.jpg
a piece like this is what i've seen.....or is this only for marine aquariums? so confused lol

i think, should i chose to get a bigger tank, i'd like to invest in a canaster filter :)

All you have to do is put the intake under the water line. The outflow can go below it above the water line, depending on how much splashing/aeration you want/need. Just like with HOBs, there are some quiet models and some not-so-quiet models.

7e9etuge.jpg

This is how mine is. I have a sunsun 525gph no UV (less things to go wrong) it is quieter than any filter iv ever have and does a great job at filtration. My water is Crystal clear. :) ive also have no problems at all with mine.

All you have to do is put the intake under the water line. The outflow can go below it above the water line, depending on how much splashing/aeration you want/need. Just like with HOBs, there are some quiet models and some not-so-quiet models.

Ooooooooh I see, so they're pretty custamizable to what you want/need.... that's great !!

they seem much less scary now that i know there is no drilling/sawing required lol

7emunu7y.jpga3a8ejyn.jpg

beatiful pictures !! and thankyou for the photo of the intake/outflow setup as well :)

your water is spectacularly clear !!

i know what i'm asking for for my next birthday ;)

I've seen people drill holes for their canisters and seal around the hole but it's easier to just put it over the top and secure with suction cups if needed. :teehee

Edited by Chai

I love my canister filters. They are virtually silent. Sunsuns are very cheap on ebay and very easy to setup, and lots of room for media.

the info provided by the op should work for gretch and all pond solutions canisters as well for those of you in europe.they are rebranded sunsuns.i have a 303b model,and i absolutely love it.it is silent.

I have 2 all pond solutions canisters and they are great can't hear them at all!:-)

Great fix, Mikey.

Can I just compliment your mother on how spotless her bathtub is?! :thud:

Great fix, Mikey.

Can I just compliment your mother on how spotless her bathtub is?! :thud:

Thanks! :)

I'll be sure to tell her :P where is the bathtub? Lol I dont think I took a pic of it on this thread? In the water changer one, yes :P

44703550-72B3-401F-9511-EC0D7BA9942E_zps

This is not your canister filter, sitting inside a large oval bathtub? I'm such a loser! :rofl3

44703550-72B3-401F-9511-EC0D7BA9942E_zps

This is not your canister filter, sitting inside a large oval bathtub? I'm such a loser! :rofl3

Nope! LOL :tomuch:

On 1/22/2014 at 7:28 PM, Mikey said:

When the canister is turned off for cleaning and you take out the connector valve for the safe stop, there are two holes.

Hi, i'm having the same problem. I just read your post and tried to remove some water from the top two holes. I put the filter back together and i still see the leak coming out of 3 latches. Is there anything special you did, should i tilt it?.. take it a part perhaps and completely drain of all liquid (the top part i mean). Or will it simply sort itself out at some point?

Thank you,

jenyffercom