No more Dropsy ...

MissFree

Hello everyone. I'm another newbie and I'm really glad that I found this site and forum. I'm hopeful that with the information I learn I can effectively keep goldfish even if everyone else thinks that I'm wasting my time. Something about goldfish calm me and I'm not sure why, but I love it!

I'm not an expert by any means but I have done enough research to now that this fish possibly has a bad case of dropsy. I'm really not hoping for the best but I really don't want to lose it. I say IT because unfortunately I still can't tell the difference. I've tried so many times. I did say I'm not an expert.

I already know that I need to invest in better food as flakes aren't really the best thing.

I read about six posts that talked about medication and metro-meds... PLEASE tell me where to get them.

I'm also looking into the frozen krill and other options.

I'll try to post a video from YouTube. It's not the best but I'm sure you'll be able to see the pineconing :(

I'm in the process of trying to find a hospital tank because the plastic tubs I have are either too large or not large enough and I know that treatment takes a few weeks.

Thanks in advance for all you help and advice...

I'll stop yapping now.

http://youtu.be/JQX7Z287XH0

• Test Results for the Following

I didn't want to past the actual chart since I couldn't answer it.

I know that the PH level is around 7.4

The ammonia was at 0

Nitrites were at 0

Nitrates were possibly at 0 I honestly believe.

I'll do the whole chart when I get home.

• * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Master Test Kit
    • * Water temperature? 70
    • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 55 gallon, running 11 months.
    • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Fluval Canister Filter 205 and a HOP Marineland Bio Wheel that came with the aquarium kit.
    • * How often do you change the water and how much? 30 to 50% biweekly.
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? I feed Tetra Goldfish Flakes... however I do think that I'm going to order Pro Gold and some other stuff tomorrow.
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? All the fish that are in there right now have been in there at least two months.
  • * Any medications added to the tank? I know at one point I had a cycle of PIMA or MELAFix.. I can't remember which one right now but those are the only actual meds that I have on hand... That's going to change.
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. I treated the entire tank once for ICH ... no fatalities at all. I do sometimes lose fish for no apparent reason. They'll get very lethargic and just whither away (I'm such a bad person but I promise you all that I'm trying my best).
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? I noticed that a fin was missing from right below the bottom area. I really believe that I purchased it like that.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Little to no swimming. I'm just noticing it gliding around the tank, sometimes bumping into things which causes me to wonder if there is some cloudy eye going on. When I open the lid they all come to the top but this one doesn't exactly seem to be able to target the food.
Edited by MissFree

Just a helpful hint. People on here like pro-gold, and some don't. A lot of times it causes floating issues. It's kind of too big. It's all up to you, of course. I stopped feeding it to my fish. You can easily get good pellet food and for cheaper too. I feed omega one small sinking pellets that I got at Petsmart. I bought hikari lionhead from our sponsor tastyworms it's a great price and has super fast shipping. It's also an awesome food. And I'm going to be trying NLS 1mm Thera A pellets; I've heard good reviews about them on here :).

Good luck with the dropsy!! :hug let us know when you get the MM. Also please post the tap parameters. I find it a little hard your nitrates are at 0 with water changes biweekly and only 30-50%. How are you testing them? The nitrate is the hardest one to test in the kit as it involves a lot of shaking and waiting. You should be testing as follows:

Fill tube to the line

Shake bottle 2 for 30-40 seconds very well

Add 10 drops of solution 1, cap, and invert several times.

Uncap and add the ten drops from bottle two after shaking it for the 30-40 seconds.

Cap and shake well for 1 minute.

Let it sit for 5 minutes and record results.

Good luck!! :hug

Edited by Mikey

Hello! Welcome to kokos! Sorry about your fish, I hope it can pull through, black ranchu are my favorite kind of goldfish. So couple things here. Is this the only fish in your 55 gal? If not you should quarantine this fish in either it's own 10 tank, or a food safe tub. Add an air stone with an air pump to the tank and a heater if possible. You can use a little bit of plain Epsom salt to help reduce the swelling. I can't remember so I will have to look up what temp and how much Epsom per 10 gal, unless someone gets you that information sooner. Order the metro meds from goldfish connection online. Goldfishconnection.com good luck! Keep us posted and ask if you have questions. :)

Yea I don't think it'll pull through. I brought him to the 911 center since I'll be there 16 hrs each day for the next two weeks. I have in a fourth of Epsom salts but does that little amount help?

What else should I order as far as meds?

He's just floating at the top knocking into the glass barely swimming. I'm going home for 7hrs to rest and I'm just dreading coming back to him being gone.

If he lives I'll walk with a pea and the heater but oh I don't know. I'm stressed out. I'm tired of losing fish.

http://youtu.be/dqbwBU_IK7Q

Edited by MissFree

I'm so sorry about the tv glare in the video. My coworkers are very insensitive. I had to endure teasing all day. I can't have kids so I guess I just found a hobby I'm trying to get good at.

I'm sorry about the fish :( is he popping at all? Eating? He/she may be constipated. Is there any pet stores out there that carry metrozidinal powder? You can use that until the metro meds arrive.

What are the levels in his QT tank? I war he'd the video and he seems very lethargic :( Are your other fish doing alright? Because dropsy is a secondary disorder, meaning some other underlying thing caused it. Sometimes it's parasites, sometimes it's bacteria in the water (meaning unclean pockets in gravel, trapped waste in decorations, filters not cleaned frequently, or not frequent enough water changes) I hope our other fish are alright. Did you order the prazi too?

The general lethargy you see before fish die, makes me think of flukes so as soon as you can get some prazi and plain salt because it sounds like this is a constant problem for you. The fish probably already have the flukes when you buy them. Can you give us a full tank picture of your main tank?

What are the levels in his QT tank? I war he'd the video and he seems very lethargic :( Are your other fish doing alright? Because dropsy is a secondary disorder, meaning some other underlying thing caused it. Sometimes it's parasites, sometimes it's bacteria in the water (meaning unclean pockets in gravel, trapped waste in decorations, filters not cleaned frequently, or not frequent enough water changes) I hope our other fish are alright. Did you order the prazi too?

I'm not sure what they are as of yet because I was in such a rush to get the tank I didn't have the time to test everything out. I actually did this while I'm at work in a 911 center and today was not a good day.

I'm sorry about the fish :( is he popping at all? Eating? He/she may be constipated. Is there any pet stores out there that carry metrozidinal powder? You can use that until the metro meds arrive.

I really don't recall seeing him do a poop at all... I'm going to walk with some deshelled peas if he lives to feed him in the morning. Is it possible to have a poop that never comes out?

I doubt it... these stores down here don't really do a stock on fish meds. Just the basics. API small time products. I know I need another bottle of prime? have you ever noticed a bad scene with Prime? My canister filter smells aweful and that was after a month.

Am I supposed to use Plain Salt over Epsom? Sadly the prazi is in the same order as the meds.

Epsom is correct for dropsy. The plain salt will be used later on. Plain regular salt can make dropsy worse. I use prime and sometimes it had a sulphur smell when I first use it, but that's normal. The bad smelling filter worries me...how often do you clean it out? What do you put in it media wise? I'm going to ask a moderater to take a look at this thread again and recommend actions while you wait on your order to arrive. In the meantime, can you take a picture or video of your main tank? That way we can see your set up and try and figure out why you are having frequent fish loss. Sorry about your busy day, I hope your fish pulls through.

I'm so sorry about your fish. :(:hug

If you'd like, maybe start a thread in the water quality section and have some members look more at your setup and routines, and see if there's anything that might need changing. I'm sorry if this seems insensitive, I'm certainly not saying anything is wrong and I'm not sure if the timing was inappropriate. But we're here to help, that's all I'm trying to say, in a very long-winded way. :)

I'm sorry your fish didn't make it :( Let's have you start another thread though so we can help you prevent further loss. I suspect that there are flukes preset and maybe something up with you filter (indicated by the smell). It is good that you have the meds on hand now. The earlier you catch dropsy the better the chances for recovery. We are here to help and I think your problems are fixable. Does that mean that you have the prazi now too?

• Supporter

Well .... He died by the time I made it back to work.

I guess I'll have the meds on hand for the next time.

awww :(

hopefully there won't be a next time, but yes, they are the best meds to have on hand and treat several bacteria related problems. you can also note when the expiry date is on the packet. perhaps you can offload some to members in need when it reaches near expiry.

i am sorry your fish didn't make it :(