What Food To Use?

BeginAgain

I first want to start off with a brief back story so you can get a somewhat handle on the situation.

I owned goldfish about a year ago. Something came up and I had to get rid of them. They had been eating some gel food, Aqueon pellets (it's not good but it's what I had at the time), peas, wheat germ, and some algae wafers on occasion. I analyze all of my and my pets food, maybe a bit too much. I'm going to be getting two more goldfish, I'm thinking either a Ranchu, Telescope, or Oranda but I can only get two so I want to find a food best for any of those.

I'm thinking Hakari Lionhead or the Saki-Hikari Fancy Goldfish (the purple one). They both have good ingredients but the Saki-Hikari has a lot more metals, sulfates, and phosphates listed in the ingredient panel however, it is supposed to give a lot of beneficial bacter. The problem is that the Lionhead lists it's ingredients merely as

"Fish meal, wheat flour, krill meal, carotenoid fortifier, soybean protein, spirulina, seaweed meal, enzyme, DL-methionine, monosodium glutamate, garlic, and vitamins and minerals including stabilized Vitamin C."

And the vitamins and minerals could be anything. I'm leaning towards Lionhead. I'm not looking for a show or breeding fish and I don't mind a little extra poo but does the Saki-Hikari really help with the digestive tract? What does everyone think?

Hikari Lionhead is a great food and my fish prefer it over Saki Hikari. I haven't personally seen anything to suggest it helps with digestion, but perhaps someone else may have different results.

Other great options are New Life Spectrum, Repashy gel foods, and Omega One. You could always try making your own food down the line, too.

The biggest issue for me with SH, although I do feed it on occasion, is "Dried Bakery Product". As if it doesn't already have enough grains and meals, dried bakery product is essentially a generic term for inedible (and also edible) remnants of grains and whatever remains after goods are baked that are ground up and used as a filler. I don't think there's a need for something inedible to be fed to anything, whether it's cattle/livestock (the main usage for it) or aquarium fish.

Edited by Chai

I hate the fact that so many wheat products are floor sweepings. I looked into NLS and Omega One, I really don't like seeing ethoxyquin/BHA/BHT in ingredients.I also don't like Repashy because they don't have a goldfish specific formula. I think I'll go with the Lionhead.

It doesn't have to be a goldfish specific formula to be good; it's just hard to escape BHT/MSG and so forth with commercial pellet foods. That's why a lot of fish keepers turn to gel foods. :)

Goldfish are almost exclusive herbivores by nature and Repashy Soilent Green/Super Green is a good way to get the greens they love to the fish.

Remember that variety is the spice of life! Give plenty of leafy greens, veggies and frozen foods to your goldies, too. HL is a fantastic pellet, I'm sure they'll love it. Pics when you get em! :D

Ya I always have a lot of peas ready to thaw. Rats like to go fishing for peas and I have 4 :) I miss hand feeding peas so much but Mine never wanted lettuce or spinach. Would it be okay to freeze up pea or spinach baby food and break off chips of that for a treat?

i really enjoy NLS thera A and omega one pelleted foods. I like feeding super green and typically bulk it up with daphnia or bloodworms. I've fed a lot of food but NLS, omega one, progold, and hikari lionhead/oranda are the best pellets. You have to realize that nearly any pelleted fish food is going to have a preservative in it. In fact the U.S. Coast Guard requires that fish meal that is transported on boats be treated with ethoxyquin. Not only that but "there is no legal requirement for pet food makers to disclose substances that were added to an ingredient before it reaches the pet food manufacturing plant." While food with no preservatives may sound fantastic some sort is typically needed to prevent the fats in the food from going rancid (which would certainly not be good). I personally think that the lifespan of the average goldfish will not be impacted either negatively or positively by having a food which contains a preservative or not. I think it's best to disregard the preservative and focus solely on the main ingredients, because they will be the ones that make the food good or bad in the long run. Also never be afraid to feed a food that isn't goldfish specific. Honestly the best foods I feed (repashy and NLS) do not have goldfish formulas, and that doesn't really matter. The fish can't read the label, and the ingredients are nearly identical to things like omega one or hikari lionhead goldfish formulas.

I know there are going to be preservatives but yes, all fish must have ethoxyquin, but you shouldn't need to add it. That's just my personal opinion. I think I'll go with the Hikari Lionhead. Thanks for everyone's help!