Suggestions for cleaning fry tank?

FishWish

My fry tank is filthy…and the fry are only 6 days old! I have it filled only 6 inches deep. Using a turkey baster just removes too much water and swirls it all around. I have also tried wiping surface with a paper towel. That didn't seems to work either. Any other suggestions?

I have also read about using air line tubing to clean the bottom but I would need to replace the water… :idont

I wouldn't scrub the sides too much...it may make to water sway around a lot and impact the frys' delicate backbones in the long run.

I also found this video that may be helpful to you. :)

Honestly fry tank cleaning is tricky. I have decided that I prefer the turkey baster method. I used the airline tubing to siphon out water once and I accidentally sucked up a couple fry :( but, I do like airline tubing for adding water to the fry tank during water changes. I set up a pitcher of dechlorinated water matching the fry tank temperature and then I siphon clean water into the fry tank using the airline tubing. That way it is a slow fill that let's the fry adjust as you change the water and it isn't too stressful of a current.

When I have had fry I filled a 15 gallon tank full. I did not have any type of pump or aerator for about two weeks. If the top of the water looked bad, I would skim it off with a bucket, and then refill. I also skimmed water off the top for partial water changes. After about 2 weeks I added air on the pumps lowest setting and turned it up as the fish grew.

I used a turkey baster because my fry tank was on the floor. I put nylon (from stockings) around the filter intake and secured it with a rubber band. You can purchase little sponges that fit over the intake valves as well.

Watch carefully over 48 hours to see if they're strong enough to avoid getting stuck to the intake screen because my fry were several weeks old before they moved to a tank with a filter.

Before that I did water changes daily, still using a turkey baster for the bottom mulm. In retrospect I was probably too rough pouring the clean water back into their container- be as gentle as you can.

How many fry do you have? I scoop out some water into another container and remove all my fry with a tea strainer so I can give the tank a good clean. Then I add fresh water and slowly tip the fry back in. I have about 100 fry and I've never broken any backs etc. I think you'll only hurt then if you were to pour water directly above them into the tank.

I wouldn't scrub the sides too much...it may make to water sway around a lot and impact the frys' delicate backbones in the long run.

I also found this video that may be helpful to you. :)

Georgia - you are a You Tube phenom! Always a video for every situation… :)

P.S. The bbs eeg hatchery video was perfect! Made one the other day..and it is perfect!

How many fry do you have? I scoop out some water into another container and remove all my fry with a tea strainer so I can give the tank a good clean. Then I add fresh water and slowly tip the fry back in. I have about 100 fry and I've never broken any backs etc. I think you'll only hurt then if you were to pour water directly above them into the tank.

Scarlett - I have 30 in 6 inches of water in a 5 gallon tank. Just tested water and I have 0.5 ppm ammonia. It's time to start changing some water!

I used a turkey baster because my fry tank was on the floor. I put nylon (from stockings) around the filter intake and secured it with a rubber band. You can purchase little sponges that fit over the intake valves as well.

Watch carefully over 48 hours to see if they're strong enough to avoid getting stuck to the intake screen because my fry were several weeks old before they moved to a tank with a filter.

Before that I did water changes daily, still using a turkey baster for the bottom mulm. In retrospect I was probably too rough pouring the clean water back into their container- be as gentle as you can.

The nylon is a good idea…that could be combined with the technique in the video above.

Have two shallow containers -- I use plastic dishpans. Put water in both. Put the fry in one. When you want to change the water, just transfer the fry to the second tub. I just scoop them up in my hand,but a fine net also works. Then empty, rinse and refill the first tub. I don't filter until they are feeder size.

Have two shallow containers -- I use plastic dishpans. Put water in both. Put the fry in one. When you want to change the water, just transfer the fry to the second tub. I just scoop them up in my hand,but a fine net also works. Then empty, rinse and refill the first tub. I don't filter until they are feeder size.

Thank you for the advice. This really seems like the easiest option. Heading to pick up sterilite containers. Can you help me with the 6 inch water rule I've read about. Fry are 6 days old now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zere7u7u.jpg

These are my guys. They are in a 20 litre tank and have been since about two weeks old. I do a 100% water change every 2nd day. They are currently munching on Repashy Spawn and Grow. :)

What cuties! And you have so many!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's the set up I decided on...

a7b4140b-f7a8-4cf3-bf93-0cb3fed0039a_zps

This way at least I won't have to worry about matching water temp. These bins are not quite 5 gallons, but the fry have more horizontal real estate. It's been Over 12 hours since the move and they all seem to be doing well! Transferring them was tough. The very last one to be caught took more time then the rest combined. :rofl If I could tell him apart from the others, I would give him a very distinguished name!