How can I know when to change my water?

What are your weekly nitrate readings like and are they consistent? If your current weekly maintenance routine is working at keeping nitrate within reasonable levels, continue as usual.

Unless you're having issues with nitrate or something has changed in the tank that may increase the nitrate reading, you don't necessarily need to test weekly. That and halving the tests will reduce the use of the bottles.

I know ebay has some good deals on test kit bottles if you're concerned about price, since I agree that it seems pretty pointless spending $10 on two bottles when you can buy the whole kit for an extra $10.

• Supporter

you have to change your bottles every two years anyway.. they only carry a 2 year shelf life... so if you're nearing the expiry of the other bottles, i suggest you spend the $20 and buy the master kit.

Size of the tank/number of fish?

Like everyone else said, if you had a good weekly routine that was working keep at it. You can also tell by the smell/clarity of the water if you know how it looks/smells right after a water change and the day after.

If you know you are going to be feeding heavily for some growth, regardless of test kit readings a change is always in order the following day. Sometimes I change my water every day/other day, sometimes it's twice/three times a week. All depends on how I'm feeding and how the water is looking.

• Admin

My nitrate bottles are almost empty...and I'd hate to buy a whole new kit just for 2 bottles..and in my opinion, $10 for 2 bottles is expensive as opposed to a whole new kit with 7 bottles for $20. Any ideas? Thank you! :)

not that expensive http://www.amazon.com/API-26-Nitrite-Test-Kit/dp/B000255NC8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390236019&sr=8-1&keywords=nitrite+test