• * Ammonia Level(Tap) unknown
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) unknown
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) unknown
    • * Ph Level, Tank: 8
    • * Ph Level, Tap: 8
    • Other Required Info:

• * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Master kit
      • * Water temperature? 70 degrees F
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 40 for 3 months
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Aqueon, unsure of size, it came with the tank.
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? 50% weekly

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 2 days ago.
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 1
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? PRIME
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? 3x/day
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? No.
  • * Any medications added to the tank? Not yet.
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. None.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Large white splotch growing out from gills.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? bottom sitting most of the time, eating OK.

I have a 40 gallon tank with 3 ranchus. One is nearly the size of an iphone (a ECR lemonhead), the other two are quite small. When I tested the water last week it was perfect! I did a water change 2 days ago, and the fish were doing fine. Right now the water levels are checking out perfectly.

Today while I was at school, my girlfriend called me freaking out about the fish..

The 2 smaller ranchus (maybe 1"-1.5" nose to tail tip) are bottom sitting, then frantically trying to get up - kind of swimming in a circle, maybe even swimming for a few minutes looking totally fine, then bottom sitting again.
Quinoa, the white one, is the smallest and seems to be eating OK; Rutabaga, a black and orange goldfish with a few metallic scales thrown in, is doing horribly. He is pretty much only bottom sitting now.

She moved my large lemonhead (who seems to be doing swimmingly) into another 40 gallon tank that we have running (with similar sized goldfish). I wouldn't have necessarily done that, but it's done now.

I'm trying to upload a video for you to see.

How long have you had these fish? Are they all from ECR?

If they are, you should contact Cynthia. I know that she likes to treat her fish differently, and so we give her this courtesy.

If you would like us to go ahead, then please indicate so. Thanks.

I'm sorry for double-posting.

Please, go ahead and give me advice. Only my lemonhead is from ECR. We have had the 2 sick fish for over 3 months. Over a month ago we bought this new tank. We filled it over halfway with water from a cycled tank, and used media from a cycled tank (where all the fish as of right now are 100% healthy, as far as I can tell, and the water tests great) to cycle it.

The two sick fish are alone in the tank now, and I plan on doing a 90% water change and salting, unless you think that's a bad idea.

We have it set up with 2 Aqueon "30 power" filters and a bubbler. I'm going to test our (Utah) tap water.

tap water pH: 8
tap water nitrites: Inbetween 0 and 0.25 ppm
tap water nitrates: 0 ppm
tap water ammonia: 0 ppm

I tested the tank nitrates again. I'm using the "API Freshwater masters test kit" and the from 0 ppm - 160 ppm ranges neon yellow to dark red. I'm more yellow than 0ppm, but nowhere near the orange of 5.0ppm.

I will try to take a better picture.

photo4.jpg The white is not usually there and I've had goldfish with Ich before and this doesn't look like Ich to me. My friend will be here in 5 minutes and is going to help me take a good picture of him (while I hold him).

Ahhh, is he just constipated? What a relief that would be!

I feed them mostly Hikari Lionhead, and maybe once a week Omega One Super Veggie (little sheets of seaweed vegetables I put in a clip).
I also sometimes feed purple Saki Hikari.

Should I fast them for 3 days and see what happens?

Yep, let's fast them and see what happens. One thing I really like to feed as I get lots of "results" :rofl is red leaf lettuce. All you do is rinse it and stick it on a veggie clip. It took my fish several hours to figure out they could eat it but once they did :o what a mess in the tank the next morning! Lots of green poos. :rofl3

The other thing to consider is if you're overfeeding. Some fish get to be "sinkers" if they are overfed. Possibly could be one of the pellets making him like that also.

The best way to figure it out is to start with 2-3 days of fasting, then I'd feed some lettuce if you can for a day or so and let us know how they are doing. :D

Also, please pay very careful attention to the poop to see what you get.

Furthermore, this could be something a bit more worrisome, and has to do with damaged SBs, which can cause exactly what you are seeing, struggling to swim, but being unable to maintain flotation. Chronic high nitrates would lead to this. Are you doing the nitrate test really vigorously? The 2nd reagent, as well as the final mixing, really needs to be shaken really really well.