Skeletor: is my koi wronley?

mysterygirl

There is an adorable woman from Singapore who works at my local pond store, Ya Ling. She’s 5 feet tall and speaks with a thick Mandarin Chinese accent.

I told her about the 9 goldfish and single koi in my backyard pond.

“Ownwee one Koi?" she was concerned. "He wronley. He know he not goldfish. Best have 3 koi.”

So I ask you, does Skels need a koi-friend?

Skeletor is no stranger to badassery. Just take a look.
Skeletoryellow1.11.14.JPGSkeletor.JPG6 months earlier
She gets along swimmingly with the other goldfish. But does she miss her own kind?

What do you think? I don't want the koi to dominate. Right now 9 goldfish to one koi seems oddly fair.

I don't think you should get more koi! They require a HUGE amount of space compared to goldfish. Just MHO :idont

I think he would consider goldies companions, but who am I to announce that :rofl

The koi people say that koi are miserable alone and particularly warn against putting a sick koi alone in a hospital tank. Koi appear to be considerable less tolerant of emotional stress than goldfish and can die from the isolation. However they also say that even a small goldfish will do just fine to prevent the anxiety of being alone, which is important in a small hospital tank.

Lots of people who are careful about stocking levels keep one koi in a pond of goldfish and find that koi perfectly happy and healthy. After all, it has the biggest mouth and can scarf down the most food. What could possibly be more important? I've heard of many cases in mixed ponds of a bff pair consisting of a koi and a comet.

Do you have pictures of your pond posted yet?

Edited by shakaho

:rofl that was a funny story.

And Skeletor is so cool-looking! I love him!

How many gallons is your pond? :idont Koi can get humungous, some recommendations span from 300-1000 gallons per koi. I'd keep him as the only koi.

:rofl that was a funny story.

And Skeletor is so cool-looking! I love him!

How many gallons is your pond? :idont Koi can get humungous, some recommendations span from 300-1000 gallons per koi. I'd keep him as the only koi.

Her pond is 900 gallons. You can read all about it from the link above! Very cool read!

The koi people say that koi are miserable alone and particularly warn against putting a sick koi alone in a hospital tank. Koi appear to be considerable less tolerant of emotional stress than goldfish and can die from the isolation. However they also say that even a small goldfish will do just fine to prevent the anxiety of being alone, which is important in a small hospital tank.

Lots of people who are careful about stocking levels keep one koi in a pond of goldfish and find that koi perfectly happy and healthy. After all, it has the biggest mouth and can scarf down the most food. What could possibly be more important? I've heard of many cases in mixed ponds of a bff pair consisting of a koi and a comet.

You always bring up fascinating points.

This reminds me of a previous thread where it was being discussed about whether goldfish have the ability to be happy, sad, or content.

Here we are taking it a step further, by discussing loneliness.

I personally find it interesting to consider if goldfish (or koi) have these kind of emotions.

Beautiful fish, by the way.

The koi people say that koi are miserable alone and particularly warn against putting a sick koi alone in a hospital tank. Koi appear to be considerable less tolerant of emotional stress than goldfish and can die from the isolation. However they also say that even a small goldfish will do just fine to prevent the anxiety of being alone, which is important in a small hospital tank. .......

.......Here we are taking it a step further, by discussing loneliness.

I personally find it interesting to consider if goldfish (or koi) have these kind of emotions.

I'm glad you're enjoying the photos.

I use the word lonely here to mean what I imagine is the fishy sense of the word: non-stressed.

It is easy for humans to imagine that fish which normally school together would be anxious–perhaps even unhealthy

alone, and so might a koi. So the question for me is whether the other goldfish serve that purpose for the koi.

Beyond imagination there is fascinating research to show how group-think functions in determining schooled fish behavior. The light-hearted anthropomorphic vocabulary simply describes concern in human terms.

I want the best for Skels, and appreciate all the advice so far. Actually, I feel better about the situation already. Skeletor in a Koi school? You know she’d be watching the clock.

Edited by mysterygirl

This reminds me of a previous thread where it was being discussed about whether goldfish have the ability to be happy, sad, or content.

Actually, we don't really know what other people feel. We just assume that when someone acts the way we do when we are happy, that (s)he is happy, but it may not be true. Loneliness is experienced under very different circumstances by different people. A hermit who chooses to live alone away from other people may be seen as "lonely," and yet not feel that way at all.

A fish shows physical and behavioral signs of distress when isolated from other fish, including poor recovery from physical illness, and these symptoms disappear when another fish is added. I think it makes as much sense to say the fish is "lonely" as to say it suffers from isolation-induced stress.

Actually, we don't really know what other people feel. We just assume that when someone acts the way we do when we are happy, that (s)he is happy, but it may not be true. Loneliness is experienced under very different circumstances by different people. A hermit who chooses to live alone away from other people may be seen as "lonely," and yet not feel that way at all.

A fish shows physical and behavioral signs of distress when isolated from other fish, including poor recovery from physical illness, and these symptoms disappear when another fish is added. I think it makes as much sense to say the fish is "lonely" as to say it suffers from isolation-induced stress.

I think it makes as much sense to say the fish is "lonely" as to say it suffers from isolation-induced stress.

That is a really good way to think of it.

So I guess we could say that goldfish (or many, if you believe all living things have individual traits/personalities) are among the living things that prefer (and thrive?) from being around others of it's kind?

I suppose they are sociable animals, depending on the fish of course.

Just like folks, I guess you get the "hermit" goldfish.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What a great looking fish you have there says my koi fish . and if needs a friend my "hot lips" would love to meet Skelter. pictured is Hotlips

RSCN9864.jpg

RSCN9865.jpg

• 6 months later...

I am afraid the woman is right :blink: . My Ranchu get wronley quite often and i need to find a new friend for them to add to the stock. Sometimes they even get so wronley they spawn a whole army of little ranchu. :grouphug My GAS has nothing to do with it at all...... :newfish:goldfish::rockon