Python doesn't siphon poo!

I realized it doesn't, so I got my 3 foot old water changer to siphon the poop out. Do you know why? Like, the junk would just sit there and not move when I bring the python near it.What can I do? I just realized this problem. I also realized that bc of that, my fish have been developing finrot bc the waste just sits there not moving. How can I get my python to work correctly?

btw, the tank is about the same level as the sink, if that makes a difference. Thank you!!

Sounds like the suction isn't powerful enough because the tank and sink are at the same level. I had the same problem. Luckly, my back door is located really close to my sink so after I turn on the faucet to get the suction going I throw the other end in my backyard. Now the suction is great. :thumbup2:

And another question to add to Helen's list.

Are the faucet parts to the water changer all tight? Did anything come loose?

When I did my last water change with my aqueon water change I thought the pressure wasn't as strong as it should be. I went over to the sink to make sure everything was tight on the attachment and sure enough there was a part that wasn't. After I gave it a twist to tighten it up .....it worked fine.

Remember, once you turn the water on, you have to keep it on. The force if thee water coming out of the faucet pulls the water out of the tube; this isn't a siphon performed by gravity. So, make sure you don't turn the water off after the siphon has started.

Remember, once you turn the water on, you have to keep it on. The force if thee water coming out of the faucet pulls the water out of the tube; this isn't a siphon performed by gravity. So, make sure you don't turn the water off after the siphon has started.

This is incorrect. Actually, in general cases you do not have to keep the water running. It will still work as a vacuum even when hooked to the faucet with no running water. Many of us here will use the faucet to get the siphon started, then turn it off and water will still flow.

In MGML's case, her tank is at the same level, if not lower than the sink. This means that the siphon may not even work due to gravity working against her.

MGML, it seems that you do not have enough pressure. If the water is flowing, out well so should the poop. Did you ever get the pump running?

Edited by ChelseaM

• Admin

This is incorrect. Actually, in general cases you do not have to keep the water running. It will still work as a vacuum even when hooked to the faucet with no running water. Many of us here will use the faucet to get the siphon started, then turn it off and water will still flow.

In MGML's case, her tank is at the same level, if not lower than the sink. This means that the siphon may not even work due to gravity working against her.

MGML, it seems that you do not have enough pressure. If the water is flowing, out well so should the poop. Did you ever get the pump running?

I dont even use the facet to drain.... just suck and let it go iust the door :)

Chelsea, of course. I should have clarified about the height of the tank in relation to the height of the sink.

Koko, that's exactly what I do, too. Except I drain right into a drain hole in my basement. Makes things so easy.

Edited by Justin

You could also use a pond pump to help get your siphon started. I throw my hose out the front door, and down the porch steps, and in doing so, I have excellent suction. I'm on a well, which has terrible water pressure, so the pond pump helps out a lot.

• Admin

Chelsea, of course. I should have clarified about the height of the tank in relation to the height of the sink.

Koko, that's exactly what I do, too. Except I drain right into a drain hole in my basement. Makes things so easy.

wish I had a basement :lol

• Admin

You could also use a pond pump to help get your siphon started. I throw my hose out the front door, and down the porch steps, and in doing so, I have excellent suction. I'm on a well, which has terrible water pressure, so the pond pump helps out a lot.

next best thing.. :slicedbread

Love the emoticon! :rofl3

• Admin

Love the emoticon! :rofl3

Well they love you too...use me they said :bath:idont

• Admin

I don't have enough pressure so I put mine out the door and water plants with it.

I would but my hose isnt long enough to reach so I water the cement under my car :rofl

I actually have the opposite problem. My pressure is so high that it broke my python. I used to use the method of out the door at my parent's house but that has changed to out the window ;) I am going to put a veggie garden under the windows this spring

• Admin

I actually have the opposite problem. My pressure is so high that it broke my python. I used to use the method of out the door at my parent's house but that has changed to out the window ;) I am going to put a veggie garden under the windows this spring

Thats alot of suck hun :rofl

• Supporter

i have a tap like this, which is why i asked for a photo:

IMG_6485_zpsf8dd0d40.jpg

see the handle/flow adjuster? in that position it where the strongest python suction is experienced. a little to the left or right and the python does not perform as nicely as it should. if you have a tap like this, perhaps you can try shifting the handle left to right (staying away from the 'hot' water side as high heat will warp the python bits) and perhaps you can find the extra pressure that is missing, like i did.

Are your fish large? Do you have sand/small gravel they might be ingesting?

My water changer pics up most waste in the tank, but for the large pieces of poo, especially those that have a little substrate in them, I have to remove the plastic end part and just use the tubing to get those larger pieces because the tubing alone provides more suction.

Not sure if giant substrate filled poo is your problem, but figured I'd throw it out there since it happens to me (when my fish were smaller this was never an issue)

I am a member of the :NEVER hook it up to remove water" CLUB! I run it out the front door into the flower bed (I have VERY happy Ivy!!) I get SO much pressure I even use the Claw attachment after I finish gravel cleaning. That way nosey fish can't get sucked into the barrel!!) It very easily suctions up the "stuff" from the bottom of the tank....& I have gravel scattered around in a somewhat thin layer. The only time it is hooked to the sink is to refill the tank!

Edited by Jeana727

So... If I'm getting this right... Your tank is being emptied but the waste isn't being sucked up? I think the best thing to do is Tithra's recommendation of taking off the end of the hose that goes into the tank. Be careful of the fish, though, when vacuuming.

Edited by Justin

So... If I'm getting this right... Your tank is being emptied but the waste isn't being sucked up? I think the best thing to do is Tithra's recommendation of taking off the end of the hose that goes into the tank. Be careful of the fish, though, when vacuuming.

Yeah, I am really always hesitant to recommend this because one wrong move with that hose can mean serious injury or death for your fish. I am very quick when I use the hose part of the siphon and use my free hand to keep the fish on the other side of the tank.

Yeah, I am really always hesitant to recommend this because one wrong move with that hose can mean serious injury or death for your fish. I am very quick when I use the hose part of the siphon and use my free hand to keep the fish on the other side of the tank.

As am I. The extra suction power can be helpful for debris but can also be detrimental for the fish if they come too near to it. I have to be very alert as I do the water change. Edited by Justin