Sign in to follow this  
Justin

Oh no.

What a gorgeous oranda. :)

I think that while bullying certainly can happen, there is no predicting when it might. Under normal conditions, goldfish are rather sociable creatures, so I don't think that you have much to worry about.

Tsk tsk on not QT'ing! A 10 gallon tank or tub would have sufficed. I understand that you said you are prepared to deal with illnesses that may appear, but it's not a risk that needed to be taken. Anyway, I just wanted to say that, but will not harp on it. :)

Keep us updated! :)

Shame on me. I should've used an 18 gallon tub I have. I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope my mistake doesn't have extreme repercussions...

Actually, it would be good for you to treat with Prazi now. It is akin to deworming a dog; the flukes are believed to be never be fully gone, just controlled with Prazi. I actually just treated mine a few months ago for the first time, on the advice of Koko's members, and they are doing great. I used liquid PraziPro.

How many inches is the big fish? He is just gorgeous!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I can do a preventative round. Where can I get Prazi? Also, can I treat in the main tank and will it destroy the cycle?

That fish is magnificent. I hope all goes well :)

What a gorgeous fish!!!!!

Thanks!

Actually, it would be good for you to treat with Prazi now. It is akin to deworming a dog; the flukes are believed to be never be fully gone, just controlled with Prazi. I actually just treated mine a few months ago for the first time, on the advice of Koko's members, and they are doing great. I used liquid PraziPro.

I can do a preventative round. Where can I get Prazi? Also, can I treat in the main tank and will it destroy the cycle?

Of course you can treat the main tank, although you will be using a bit more medicine. All the fish in there probably should be treated with at least 4 rounds if they haven't been treated already. It will not damage the cycle at all. I would recommend posting a D&D thread so that you will have backup in case something doesn't seem right, or if you need to alter the original treatment schedules due to things like fish with past history of dropsy or other illnesses. :)

Here are the Prazi schedules: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/105076-schedules-for-the-treatment-of-flukes-etc-using-praziquantel/

Prazi can be purchased in both liquid and powder forms. Personally, I prefer the liquid because I am too lazy to dissolve the powder. Our sponsor TastyWorms has it under the label 'PraziPro' for cheap. You could also order it online from Goldfishconnection.com if you would like to use the powder. Sometimes local fish stores carry it, so it would be wise to give places a call and ask. :)

I have some pretty extreme size differences in my tank, and I've noticed no fighting at all. My largest fish are just under 150 grams, and 120 grams. My smaller fish are their fry, and now weigh 5 grams, and 17 grams. I've had them in the tank since they were barely big enough to not be eaten, and as I said, I've had no problems. :)

I'm going to share a few photos with you, so you can have an idea of the differences in my own tank. I hope it helps you worry less. :)

995879_10151980610043711_1929785798_n.jp

1468604_10151980608368711_370764363_n.jp

I have some pretty extreme size differences in my tank, and I've noticed no fighting at all. My largest fish are just under 150 grams, and 120 grams. My smaller fish are their fry, and now weigh 5 grams, and 17 grams. I've had them in the tank since they were barely big enough to not be eaten, and as I said, I've had no problems. :)

I'm going to share a few photos with you, so you can have an idea of the differences in my own tank. I hope it helps you worry less. :)

995879_10151980610043711_1929785798_n.jp

1468604_10151980608368711_370764363_n.jp

Good, good. I am at ease because of all the stories of people with extreme size differences in their tanks. My smallest is about 11 grams, and I'll weigh the big one today.

Some of you may know, but I just bought a new 55 gallon. If I knew this would've happened, I would've gotten a 75...

Edited by Justin

He's beautiful. Best of luck!

That's one gorgeous fish!!

Thanks guys! He is very nice looking...I just wish I would have gotten him on my own free will!

Edited by Justin

None of my local stores carried it, so one offered to order a bottle for me. It arrived in a couple of days and they didn't charge me for shipping. You could also order online as Chelsea suggested; either works. Prazi is not sold at any of the big chains, at least not in California from what I've seen. I've always been curious as to why this is since flukes are so common.

I think you have a golden opportunity here. You told your dad you didn't have room for another fish and he brought one home anyway. He messed up your tank, and should make it right. That sounds like an opportunity to get a parent-financed tank upgrade. Mope around and look worried until your parents ask what's up. Then explain how worried you are about your fish. Your posts indicate this requires no lying and very little in the way of drama skills.

Then tell them that your 55 was big enough for three little fish but they would outgrow it and you were planning to get a 75 gallon for them. But now, with an additional fish bigger than all the others put together, a 75 won't be big enough and you don't know what to do. Then leave to let them discuss the matter.

There is one real concern that I don't think anyone has mentioned. You have more than doubled and probably tripled your fish load with this new fish. There is the possibility of a cycle blip while the biobugs are trying to catch up with the extra ammonia. Test your water every day for at least a week to make sure it is alright.

I'm sure that, having come from a crowded tank, your new fish has excellent social skills. If there were going to be problems in getting along, they would have appeared right away.

I think you have a golden opportunity here. You told your dad you didn't have room for another fish and he brought one home anyway. He messed up your tank, and should make it right. That sounds like an opportunity to get a parent-financed tank upgrade. Mope around and look worried until your parents ask what's up. Then explain how worried you are about your fish. Your posts indicate this requires no lying and very little in the way of drama skills.

Then tell them that your 55 was big enough for three little fish but they would outgrow it and you were planning to get a 75 gallon for them. But now, with an additional fish bigger than all the others put together, a 75 won't be big enough and you don't know what to do. Then leave to let them discuss the matter.

There is one real concern that I don't think anyone has mentioned. You have more than doubled and probably tripled your fish load with this new fish. There is the possibility of a cycle blip while the biobugs are trying to catch up with the extra ammonia. Test your water every day for at least a week to make sure it is alright.

I'm sure that, having come from a crowded tank, your new fish has excellent social skills. If there were going to be problems in getting along, they would have appeared right away.

I was definitely already thinking about the parent-financed upgrade! My dad loves fish, and really was trying to help the fish, so he brought it home. He has a 29 with two in there. I think I'll try to give him my 55 I just bought, sell the 29, and try to get him to give me some money for a 75. I think that is more than fair for him. Regarding the state of my cycle, I will make sure to monitor my levels and observe my fish. I am taking every measure I can think of to make sure something doesn't go wrong. I will be doing twice weekly 90% changes, if you don't think that's too much. My dad better not comment on the water bill! Edited by Justin

:testkit: If you have a water test kit, I would test daily for ammonia and nitrite, doing WCs as needed.

Good luck with the parent financed upgrade!! :rofl

I love your new Giant Oranda!! I wish someone would find me a big 'un like that!! Hope all works out prefectly with your new goldie!

Shakaho.....I just HAD to mention that I LOVED YOU ANSWER!!!!! I almost spit my coffee when I read it!!! :teehee

Look on the bright side, that big daddy is probably swimming around in your 55 wondering how he got the penthouse suite:)

I don't get how that fish can look so good after being in such a small space with others of the same size. That's like having 6-9 smaller fish in a 29 gallon. If I ever need to overstock, I know that I will have cycle issues and will be doing a ton of water changes. It happens without fail. How did he keep them so healthy (looking anyway)? Is there a secret I am not aware of, or what?

Look on the bright side, that big daddy is probably swimming around in your 55 wondering how he got the penthouse suite:)

I don't get how that fish can look so good after being in such a small space with others of the same size. That's like having 6-9 smaller fish in a 29 gallon. If I ever need to overstock, I know that I will have cycle issues and will be doing a ton of water changes. It happens without fail. How did he keep them so healthy (looking anyway)? Is there a secret I am not aware of, or what?

I wish I knew! I don't know in what conditions he was keeping them, just that he was very overstocked. Maybe he did do tons of WCs... I hope the big oranda is very happy! Actually, I just weighed him and he's really not big...Only 95g. I guess he looks huge compared to my 15g babies! I suppose 3 15g fish and a 95g fish in a 55 isn't too badly overstocked. I haven't see a ny cycle bumps yet, so hopefully that doesn't change!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow... that oranda looks like a monster. Considering that guy offloaded him, I expected the poor thing to be looking worse for wear, but that's not the case. Just imagine how great he will do in your care :) Here's to hoping that you get a fantastically large tank for all your goldies!

I wish I knew! I don't know in what conditions he was keeping them, just that he was very overstocked. Maybe he did do tons of WCs... I hope the big oranda is very happy! Actually, I just weighed him and he's really not big...Only 95g. I guess he looks huge compared to my 15g babies! I suppose 3 15g fish and a 95g fish in a 55 isn't too badly overstocked. I haven't see a ny cycle bumps yet, so hopefully that doesn't change!

He looks like a monster fish compared to your wee moor lol. That moor looked so little and cute next to the oranda. His face almost looked shocked that another fish could be so big lol. I'm so glad to hear you haven't had a bump yet, fingers crossed. You must have lots of good bacteria. In situations like yours, I am always scared to look at the ammonia test results...

He looks like a monster fish compared to your wee moor lol. That moor looked so little and cute next to the oranda. His face almost looked shocked that another fish could be so big lol. I'm so glad to hear you haven't had a bump yet, fingers crossed. You must have lots of good bacteria. In situations like yours, I am always scared to look at the ammonia test results...

I've been hesitant myself! I think that doing twice weekly 75% WCs has most definitely helped! My extra filtration probably doesn't hurt either. Right now I have 800GPH on my 55. Hopefully I'll be good with this setup for a little while until I can get a new 75!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been hesitant myself! I think that doing twice weekly 75% WCs has most definitely helped! My extra filtration probably doesn't hurt either. Right now I have 800GPH on my 55. Hopefully I'll be good with this setup for a little while until I can get a new 75!

That's some sweet filtration:) I think it'll be fine. Did you present the "parent funded" plan to your dad?

I gotta say, I'm jealous. You don't see fish like that every day.

I'm coming up with a strategy. Right now he has 2 goldie's in a 29. I think I will give him my 55, sell the 29, and use that money toward a 75. He can pay the difference, and now he has a new 55!

I'm coming up with a strategy. Right now he has 2 goldie's in a 29. I think I will give him my 55, sell the 29, and use that money toward a 75. He can pay the difference, and now he has a new 55!

Nice! That sounds perfect. It's awesome that you and your dad share a passion for goldfish. My mom thinks I am crazy. lol

Nice! That sounds perfect. It's awesome that you and your dad share a passion for goldfish. My mom thinks I am crazy. lol

My mom thinks me and my dad are crazy! I guess we can defend each other over our hobby! We talk about filters or water changes and my mom just rolls her eyes and shakes her head! :rofl