Home-made gel food using Repashy Soilent Green

mysterygirl

This home-made gel-based fish food is based on Repashy's Soilent Green. I am sharing my recipe, comments and criticisms invited.

GelFood.JPG

waiting to set

differentSizes.JPG

Cut into any size and freeze

Recipe

Boil 1/3 c Oatmeal (cook until mushy, drain excess water)

Use organic

Edamame 90 g frozen pods, Overcook until mushy (12 min) (seeds only, remove seed membranes and pods)

Carrot 1 medium, chopped and boiled for 15 minutes Overcook until mushy, smoosh with your finger.

Peas (1/3 c frozen – cooked, or use pea baby food)

If fresh: Blanched in boiling water for 2-3 minutes, remove outer shell.3

Kale, mustard greens, dandelion greens (mixed) 1/8 cup, blanched. Some suggest Turnip Greens.

Baby Spinach 15 small leaves (not too much- can inhibit calcium intake)

Nori (no salt. The kind they wrap sushi in)

Add what you have to a food processor, mix until a baby-food like consistency.

Add:

Wheat germ 1/8 c.

Garlic – 2 large cloves, crushed (for immunity and to help them smell the food location)

Bonito flakes ¼ cup

Chilean fish oil e.g.OmegaBrite pills, 3 drained (omega 3, 6 & 9)

_____

Add some of your favorite crushed commercial food OR

Tricker’s Vitaline: (1/8 cup) Sun Dried Shrimp, Oatmeal, Corn Meal, Whole wheat flour, Ground Beef, Sodium Chloride, Magnesium Sulfate OR

Crushed Pro-Gold pellets

The gel base for this is

Repashy’s Soilent Green: (1/3 cup + 2 Tablespoons

Chlorella Algae, Spirulina Algae, Whole Krill Meal, Whole Squid Meal, Whole Sardine Meal, Alfalfa Leaf Meal, Whole Anchovy Meal, Germinated Brown Rice Protein Concentrate, Pea Protein Isolate, Dried Brewers Yeast, Stabilized Rice Bran, Dried Kelp, Carrageenan Algae, Konjac, Carob Bean Gum, Schizochytrium Algae, Calcium Carbonate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Taurine, Potassium Citrate, Calcium Propionate, Phaffia Rhodozyma Yeast, Paprika Extract, Calendula Flower Powder, Marigold Flower Extract, Rose Hips Powder, Turmeric Root Powder, Malic Acid, Sodium Chloride, Canthaxanthin, Potassium Sorbate, Magnesium Gluconate, Lecithin, Rosemary Extract and Mixed Tocopherols (as preservatives). Vitamins: A Supplement, Vitamin D Supplement, Choline Chloride, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Beta Carotene, Pantothenic Acid, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement.

Guaranteed Soilent Green Analysis: Crude Protein min. 45%, Crude Fat min. 6%, Crude Fat max. 8%, Crude Fiber max. 8%, Moisture max. 8%, Ash max. 12%, Calcium min. 1.5%, Calcium max. 2%, Phosphorus min. 0.75%. (Just the soilent green powder before adding cooked veggies, oatmeal, brine shrimp and other additives)To prepare, mix all prepared ingredients in a food processor or blender until it becomes a very fine mush.

Then mix 1 c unit boiling water (I use the unchlorinated filtered water that was used to cook the edemame, carrots, peas and blanch the greens) to 1/3 c of Soilent Green Repashhy gel powder. Mix again in food processor –

The water HAS to be boiling hot or it will not gel

Add optional fruit:

Plum one small overripe pitted without skin OR

Strawberries (cored, green top removed. 3 large, very very mushed. Liquid) OR or other fruit: not too much! And Very Mushed! Mixed in with the final gel. Goldies can’t digest sugar well. Not more than 3 Tablespoons.

Pour into flat mold or tray, should not be higher than ½ inch. I use a large shallow plastic food container.

Refrigerate when cool, and then freeze slightly to allow you to cut it into sugar cube-sized chunks.

Freeze in plastic containers until ready to use. Use in 3 months. Before feeding, pour boiling spring water over them wrapped in a paper towel and allow to thaw and soften. Only feed to goldfish when thoroughly saturated with their aquarium water (or non-chlorinated spring water), cool and soft.

I really try to mix it up for my goldies: blood worms once every two weeks, frozen brine shrimp now and then, a small slice of watermelon or other not-too-sugary fruit as a treat. I don't like to eat the same thing every day and I imagine they don't either.

GelFoodIngredients.JPG

Here is a photo of some of the fish food products incorporated into my gel-o jigglers.

I posted this in my intro-thread in early Jan but am re-posting it here, mainly so any comments, criticisms or questions can be threaded under the appropriate heading of Goldfish Food. For photos of my fish and their outside home in Sonoma County, CA click on the link in my sig file below.