Sign in to follow this  
MexiMike83

Hi everyone. New fish.

Hi everyone! Been awhile, back at the hobby again. I expect to get some "you have too many fish" but I tried the rules last time and they both died so, well...here goes.

I still have the red Oranda that I got to replace the Red Lucy. We named him Vincent after Van Gogh. We have the rubber lip pleco which I swear hasn't grown at all - I seriously wonder how he survives because he's always hiding.

The other two additions are a Yellow Ryukin, and a gorgeous black moore with white tips in her tail :wub: from Rain Garden. (Still need names, you guys are welcome to help!)

The huge eheim filter is doing nicely. I had to point the spray bar toward the glass because the fish were bottom sitting to conserve energy. Since I did that, I was able to up the filtration per hour and wallah, no more bottom sitting! Things to do yet, I still need to Prazi them. I'm waiting for the tank's bacteria to catch up to the bio-load. No spike as of yet and everyone looks healthy. I also ordered some Rapashi Super green and they love it! I'm really hoping the black moore shows some gorgeous color changes kinda like Tithra's did with this food.

So, as of now there are 1 rubber lip pleco, and 3 fancies in my 56g aquarium and a huge eye sore of a canister filter that my girl friend absolutely loves in her living room (sarcasm). lol

That's it. I'll work on posting some photos. I should be doing Chemistry right now :thumbdown Hope everyone is well! Can't believe I've been on this forum for almost 2 years. A special thank you and shout out to Koko, the mods, and the subscribers for keeping this service going. You guys rock!

Edited by MexiMike83

Hi Mike! What gorgeous fish you have!! :) your aren't overstocked at all! :hug you are at the limit, and that's fine ;).

They are lovely!! Your black moor is my favorite.

Lovely goldie crew you have ther :)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

They're gorgeous.

I know several people on here who have 'broken' the stocking guidelines, and that's okay as long as you know what you're doing and you don't stray too far, which you're not straying overboard and you definitely know what you're doing when it comes to caring for these guys. (Though I don't think that 'rule' killed your fish, but may they rest peacefully no matter what.)

I want to see lots of updates from you and on these guys! That R&W Oranda just might have my favorite color pattern on the forum! :heart

Congrats, Mike! These are beautiful fish! :D

I don't think that you have too many fish, and that number may work very well for you. The only thing that you would want to make sure is to never let nitrates get above 40ppm (ideal never above 20ppm) for these reasons: 1) 40ppm is the EPA limit for what is safe in our drinking water. I think this is also a good cut off for our fish tanks, 2) on the test, I can barely tell the difference between 40-160 or more ppm nitrates. So, once you think you can see 40 on the test, you are seeing too much.

One of the things that I've tried to emphasize over the years is that the stocking guidelines here are exactly that - suggestions to land you in the ballpark, and then after that your mileage will vary slightly, depending on what you do, such as feeding, WC schedule and other factors. What is sure is that if you go more conservatively than we we suggest, you are sure to do fine. You can still do fine stocking more densely than what we recommend, but that means there will be (much) more work, as well as risk of problems if you happen to get lax or have to miss a scheduled maintenance.

Regardless, you need not worry that you've broken any rules :rofl, but you will want to make sure to keep watch on nitrates etc, but we all do that anyways. :)

Hi Mike, It's nice to see you on here with some good news as in regards to getting some more new fish. They are beautiful. I believe you had your Red and White Oranda delivered on a Friday and I got my Blue Oranda on the Thursday before. One day earlier. (I guess I remember odd stuff like that. ha ha)

I'm glad they are all doing good. They look gorgeous together.

Nice to see you back! Your new fish are lovely. It will be interesting to see how the moor turns out!

:wub: Your goldfish are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing! :D

They are beautiful!

Welcome back :)