Sign in to follow this  
LeTallMidge

Lion head and Oranda

I have read multiple conflicting answers to this question: do or orandas and lion heads make good tank mates? They're some of my favorite species and I already have them in the same tank (both juvenile) and was wondering if they would have problems living together later on.

All goldfish can live together. Some people prefer to keep singletails and fancies apart but many times even they can be without problem. Good luck :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by Daniel E.

This can only be answered on a fish by fish basis, as every individual goldfish is different.

Many people keep multiple fancy types (Orandas and Lionheads included) in the same tank and do fine. If they're growing up together in a healthy, large enough environment than I think you will be fine.

Hello and Welcome. :) Your two fish should be just fine as tank mates. You already got some great advice from Daniel and Chelsea above.

This can only be answered on a fish by fish basis, as every individual goldfish is different.

Many people keep multiple fancy types (Orandas and Lionheads included) in the same tank and do fine. If they're growing up together in a healthy, large enough environment than I think you will be fine.

:thumbs:

I have found that many kinds of goldfish make good tank mates. I have kept oranda and a lion chu together and they did fine. They both have head growth that can affect vision and as long as they have enough tank space they should not bulky each other. The only reason I see

Keeping like kinds of goldfish together only, is if they have a "handicap". For example bubble eyes have limited vision and speed/dexterity as do celestials so they do best with their own type. Oranda ranchu and teles seem to be on an even scale with my group where the tele has a harder time seeing, the oranda has head growth, and the ranchu waddles meaning swims slower. But it really just depends on your fish.

You may need to hand feed them (the horror of goldfish nibbles on fingers) or just spread the food out a little. I used to have an oranda and telescope and everyone was fine but I gave the telescope a bit extra food when I hand fed them at night just to be on the safe side. Lionhead and Oranda are more evenly matched though so you really shouldn't have a problem.