Marimo Moss Balls-Quarantine

goldiegeek

I read that in nature, moss balls live on the bottom of the lake, and come up TO THE SURFACE every so often to photosynthesize. Mine sometimes hang out on the surface of my tank, in the middle of the week, when I KNOW they can't be floating from air inside them. Then they sink back down a few hours later. :idont Maybe they're trying out their natural behaviors? It's a little creepy.

Mine stays on the bottom all the time, except when I squeeze it during tank cleanings. I want a creepy moss ball:)

You'd figure they wouldn't do that in an aquarium since the light reaches the bottom. Do you have funky lighting?

I don't know much about aquarium lighting but I think my lighting's pretty standard, 17 watts, on about 12 hours a day. I don't see them floating to the surface very often, maybe once every 2 or 3 months.

I read that in nature, moss balls live on the bottom of the lake, and come up TO THE SURFACE every so often to photosynthesize. Mine sometimes hang out on the surface of my tank, in the middle of the week, when I KNOW they can't be floating from air inside them. Then they sink back down a few hours later. :idont Maybe they're trying out their natural behaviors? It's a little creepy.

Mine stays on the bottom all the time, except when I squeeze it during tank cleanings. I want a creepy moss ball:)

You'd figure they wouldn't do that in an aquarium since the light reaches the bottom. Do you have funky lighting?

I don't know much about aquarium lighting but I think my lighting's pretty standard, 17 watts, on about 12 hours a day. I don't see them floating to the surface very often, maybe once every 2 or 3 months.

Ah, okay. I was worried I was killing them lol.

• 2 months later...

It's safe to say that the balls made it through the bleach dip (yes!) I made it through the egg picking (yes!). Thanks for all the input guys! Loving the Marimo!

Doing some research and reviving this thread for an update, goldiegeek! :D Did any shrimp eggs hatch? Did the Marimo continue to do well for you? Anything interesting to report?

• 2 weeks later...

It's safe to say that the balls made it through the bleach dip (yes!) I made it through the egg picking (yes!). Thanks for all the input guys! Loving the Marimo!

Doing some research and reviving this thread for an update, goldiegeek! :D Did any shrimp eggs hatch? Did the Marimo continue to do well for you? Anything interesting to report?

Well, I have bleacj dipped 5 moss balls and 4 survived. 3 of them looked really rough, bit came back:) Yay! As soon as they were in the salt bath, they started to perk back up within hours.

I did 3 min. dips and will probably scale it back to 1.5 minutes in the future. Not one shrimp hatched! I was so worried about that. Found out Petsmart sells moss balls in cups, like the bettas. Apparently they are totally safe to add to the tank right away as they've never been in tanks with fish. Not sure how accurate that is. lol

Cool, thanks for the update! I bought one to try. Since I'm still doing qt with my fish, it's just in a pitcher of water right now.

Here's a question for you all - Is it normal for the moss ball to make the water really cloudy? I got mine from a pet store chain. It was in a tank with guppies, so I did the bleach soak, rinsed, and put in fresh primed water. In a day or so the water started looking cloudy, so I changed it with prime again. Same thing the next day, so I have just left it. Not sure if it's normal for them to do that, and should I keep changing the water or is that too much?

Cool, thanks for the update! I bought one to try. Since I'm still doing qt with my fish, it's just in a pitcher of water right now.

Here's a question for you all - Is it normal for the moss ball to make the water really cloudy? I got mine from a pet store chain. It was in a tank with guppies, so I did the bleach soak, rinsed, and put in fresh primed water. In a day or so the water started looking cloudy, so I changed it with prime again. Same thing the next day, so I have just left it. Not sure if it's normal for them to do that, and should I keep changing the water or is that too much?

Whwn I got min home and washed them thoroughly, as soon as I squeezed it, all kinds of brown junk came out. I give them a squeeze and roll about once evry week and the same stuff comes out, but much less. It could be that, unless you mean white cloudy.

I know! If the fish won't let me keep it in the tank, I might still keep one on the side. :) Check out EclecticZenMarimo on Etsy, she has some really cool terrariums! I found her while looking for marimo, and she seems to have the largest size I have found too, though I didn't get mine from her.

I know! If the fish won't let me keep it in the tank, I might still keep one on the side. :) Check out EclecticZenMarimo on Etsy, she has some really cool terrariums! I found her while looking for marimo, and she seems to have the largest size I have found too, though I didn't get mine from her.

Very nice!

I had to rescue my balls from the fish. They were tearing them apart. They now have their own 5 gallon tank. lol