Marimo Moss Balls-Quarantine

goldiegeek

Hi Guys,

I bought a moss ball a few weeks ago. All I did was put it in a bucket for a few days and then in the tank. It introduced bacteria into the tank and we have just gotten that figured out. I bought four more today, but they are riddled with shrimp. I want to get rid of them and make sure the plant is clean. Can anyone guide me through this process? These are my first real plants:) Bleach bath? Cold temps to kill the shrimp/eggs? What do I do?

I have always bleached my marimos with no problem. :)

But I know nothing about getting rid of shrimp so that's beyond me.

I don't know about shrimp eggs, but I disinfected my marimo with a 19 parts water and 1 part bleach for two minutes. I then QT'd them by putting in prime water for about five days. In both baths I made sure to squeeze the marimo several times while submerged to make sure the water solution would go inside the balls.

Maybe by squeezing the balls in water a bunch of times you may get rid of a lot of the shrimp eggs.

I hope this helps!

I think bleach will kill the shrimp. I was afraid to go ahead with it in case it may harm the ball. 1/19 bleach? How long of a dip?

I think bleach will kill the shrimp. I was afraid to go ahead with it in case it may harm the ball. 1/19 bleach? How long of a dip?
Yup 1/19 and I honestly think I've gone 10 minutes with mine before. But just a few is probably sufficient, just make sure to squeeze them bunches like lisa said. :)

I just purchased a marimo moss ball about two weeks ago and I did the 1 part bleach to about 20 parts water. I had it soak for about two minutes also. I was afraid of killing it. :( I didn't just let it soak. I kept bringing it up out of the water and was squeezing the excess water out several times during this two minute period. When the bleaching was over I squeezed the excess water out then let it soak in double prime water for about an hour to get the bleach smell out and then put it in my tank. All is good with it.

I don't know about shrimp eggs, but I disinfected my marimo with a 19 parts water and 1 part bleach for two minutes. I then QT'd them by putting in prime water for about five days. In both baths I made sure to squeeze the marimo several times while submerged to make sure the water solution would go inside the balls.

Maybe by squeezing the balls in water a bunch of times you may get rid of a lot of the shrimp eggs.

I hope this helps!

Oh geez, I didn't see your post. Sorry about that:)

Okay so 1/19. I'll do a 3 minute dip with lots of squeezes. I planned to throw them in a bucket for about a week after, so I'm glad that'll work. have you ever salted them? My evil ball with the bacteria stayed in the tank while I was salting the fish and is completely fine. Do you think that would do anything in addition to the bleach, or will the bleach cover it? I know if I get some shrimp in my tank, the fish will eat them. I also keep my tanks at 67.5 degrees and that should kill them off too, I think lol. I hate when I'm a newb at stuff:)

Thanks so much Lisa! I really appreciate your input.

I just purchased a marimo moss ball about two weeks ago and I did the 1 part bleach to about 20 parts water. I had it soak for about two minutes also. I was afraid of killing it. :( I didn't just let it soak. I kept bringing it up out of the water and was squeezing the excess water out several times during this two minute period. When the bleaching was over I squeezed the excess water out then let it soak in double prime water for about an hour to get the bleach smell out and then put it in my tank. All is good with it.

Good to hear they were fine! These guys are not cheap and I'd hate to kill them. I gave them a good rinse and picked off any eggs I could see. Hoping with my temps and the bleach that they won't end up hitchhiking their way into my tank:) Little buggers.

Good to hear they were fine! These guys are not cheap and I'd hate to kill them. I gave them a good rinse and picked off any eggs I could see. Hoping with my temps and the bleach that they won't end up hitchhiking their way into my tank:) Little buggers.

I would think the bleach would kill them. But, I've never dealt with shrimp eggs before. Those balls are expensive. I think I paid a bit over $7 for mine. A couple of nights ago mine was floating on the surface of the water. The following morning it was on the bottom of the tank. I thought that was pretty neat. I think it was floating because I had squeezed some of the water out of it when I was doing a water change on the tank.

I would definitely take the shrimp eggs off before using a bleach treatment. After, give it a few good squeezes in clean water, roll it in your hands gently while dry-ish and place it into a double (or even triple) primed container of cool water. :)

Good luck!

Don't forget to put some kind of light on your marimo ball if you qt it after the bleach treatment.

Thank you for the reminder. I probably would have forgotten, worrying about the bleach lol.

I would think the bleach would kill them. But, I've never dealt with shrimp eggs before. Those balls are expensive. I think I paid a bit over $7 for mine. A couple of nights ago mine was floating on the surface of the water. The following morning it was on the bottom of the tank. I thought that was pretty neat. I think it was floating because I had squeezed some of the water out of it when I was doing a water change on the tank.

My little Mossimo does the same thing when I squeeze it out. Must be the air. I read that they routinely go to the top of the tank during the day and the bottom at night. Mine is always on the bottom unless I squeeze it. The goldies leave it alone, too:)

I would definitely take the shrimp eggs off before using a bleach treatment. After, give it a few good squeezes in clean water, roll it in your hands gently while dry-ish and place it into a double (or even triple) primed container of cool water. :)

Good luck!

Sounds like plan:) Picking the eggs off is sucking my will to live lol. Really hard to see unless they are under water. ugh. Poor me...teehee.

My little Mossimo does the same thing when I squeeze it out. Must be the air. I read that they routinely go to the top of the tank during the day and the bottom at night. Mine is always on the bottom unless I squeeze it. The goldies leave it alone, too:)

I was thinking it floats because it doesn't have the weight of all that water in the marimo. But what do I know,....I've never had one before until a couple of weeks ago. I'm liking it though. I'm glad I'm not the one picking out a lot of shrimp eggs. :(

I was thinking it floats because it doesn't have the weight of all that water in the marimo. But what do I know,....I've never had one before until a couple of weeks ago. I'm liking it though. I'm glad I'm not the one picking out a lot of shrimp eggs. :(

2 down...2 to go. It's yucky. I'm squeamish with buggy things though:)

I hope this helps!

Okay so 1/19. I'll do a 3 minute dip with lots of squeezes. I planned to throw them in a bucket for about a week after, so I'm glad that'll work. have you ever salted them? My evil ball with the bacteria stayed in the tank while I was salting the fish and is completely fine. Do you think that would do anything in addition to the bleach, or will the bleach cover it? I know if I get some shrimp in my tank, the fish will eat them. I also keep my tanks at 67.5 degrees and that should kill them off too, I think lol. I hate when I'm a newb at stuff:)

I've had marimo in .2% salt and they did real well. I've read websites that say if your marimo start to look a little off that salt is good for them. I think the bleach solution is quite good. Just make sure to gently squeeze while submerged. I didn't do anything else other than the bleach solution and qt and all is well. the .2% salt was when I was treating my fish.

I read that in nature, moss balls live on the bottom of the lake, and come up TO THE SURFACE every so often to photosynthesize. Mine sometimes hang out on the surface of my tank, in the middle of the week, when I KNOW they can't be floating from air inside them. Then they sink back down a few hours later. :idont Maybe they're trying out their natural behaviors? It's a little creepy.

:bingo:

Floating is totally normal for them, as long as they sink back down within a day or two (otherwise you may want to give it a squeeze to ensure you weren't sold a styrofoam ball covered in moss :yikes ). They're just doing what they do.

They'll also float around after being squeezed out for cleaning if you do it outside of the water, sloooowly filling back up with water as they wander around. I like to let them float around so they can be a little closer to my aquarium light and because it looks funny. :teehee

Edited by Chai

I hope this helps!

I've had marimo in .2% salt and they did real well. I've read websites that say if your marimo start to look a little off that salt is good for them. I think the bleach solution is quite good. Just make sure to gently squeeze while submerged. I didn't do anything else other than the bleach solution and qt and all is well. the .2% salt was when I was treating my fish.

That's great to know. A lot of my searches lead to other forums where they said it was bad for them. If you go to a "breeder" type website, or Wikipedia, it says salt is great for them. I was leary though. I only had them at 0.1% during a treatment.

I read that in nature, moss balls live on the bottom of the lake, and come up TO THE SURFACE every so often to photosynthesize. Mine sometimes hang out on the surface of my tank, in the middle of the week, when I KNOW they can't be floating from air inside them. Then they sink back down a few hours later. :idont Maybe they're trying out their natural behaviors? It's a little creepy.

Mine stays on the bottom all the time, except when I squeeze it during tank cleanings. I want a creepy moss ball:)

You'd figure they wouldn't do that in an aquarium since the light reaches the bottom. Do you have funky lighting?

:bingo:

Floating is totally normal for them, as long as they sink back down within a day or two (otherwise you may want to give it a squeeze to ensure you weren't sold a styrofoam ball covered in moss :yikes ). They're just doing what they do.

They'll also float around after being squeezed out for cleaning if you do it outside of the water, sloooowly filling back up with water as they wander around. I like to let them float around so they can be a little closer to my aquarium light and because it looks funny. :teehee

I heard about the styrofoam ball situation. Who would do that?

They do look funny:) My husband won't touch them because he says they creep him out and he feels like they are a live animal rather than a plant...well algae. He's not squeamish at all (he's our resident bug killer and worm feeder), so I don't get it lol.

So far so good! I did a 3.5 minute bleach dip, 1/19. It felt like a really long 3 minutes, but I lasted. haha

They look great today. I did find some more eggs and plucked them off. I'm sure I missed some. I have them in quarantine now. I read that shrimp take about 3 weeks to hatch. Should I leave them in qt and wait for them to hatch? Pretty sure my 67.5 temps will kill them....but I'm not sure what the best course of action is. Will the goldies eat any that hatch in there? I am so scared of shrimp taking over my tanks.