Bottom sitting in QT

WeeBeyPrice

Hi all,

was making a simple run to Petco to buy the API master water test kit that has all the test and use up the coupon that my mom gave me from them (she purchased a pearlscale but passed away). Long story short, a simple trip got complicated once I started looking at fish.

I saw this butterfly telescope which I thought was gorgeous in a tank with fantails and orandas and it did not look like it got along with rest of the fish. So i decided to pick this little guy up and he is currently sitting in QT. At first he would swim a little bit but even when he does, it looks like he is struggling. I really want to keep this guy and hope he can be okay. Can you please help ?

• * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0.5
  • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0
  • * Nitrate level(Tank) 0
  • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0.25
  • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
  • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6-8
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6-8
  • Other Required Info:
    • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops
    • * Water temperature? 68
    • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? QT large plastic container
    • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? none
    • * How often do you change the water and how much? n/a
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? n/a
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 1
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? PRIME
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? fed him 2 pebbles of HL
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? This one, QT
  • * Any medications added to the tank? none yet
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? gill looks red, but I think its the red scale of calico rather than actual redness
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? bottom sitting, difficulty swimming

Here is a video:

Beautiful calico tele! :D

The first thing to do is that you need to keep the tank free of ammonia. So, let's get rid of the 0.5ppm ammonia.

Secondly, go to Walmart or some grocery store and get yourself 4-8 pounds of Morton Canning & Pickling salt. You will be using these a lot in the coming days.

For tonight, we do nothing other than making sure you get rid of that ammonia and then add 1X Prime.

Update us tomorrow, and we will continue. :)

Just did! I went and turned off the light in the room, the switch is right above his QT container. He darted like crazy until he went into a corner sat there for a moment. When I came back into the room, I see him swimming around and exploring at the bottom a little bit.

At least I know now that he can swim. Felt so bad for him to see him in a small, cramped up tanks in Petco with better swimmers. I was worried that he might already be really sick (because he wasn't swimming as much in the bag as the other fish when I got them) but that doesn't seem to be the case now.

Did not eat during morning feeding. He was swimming around fine until I turned on the lights for the other aquarium and opened the blind for the room. So far he is bottom sitting again and just leaving the food there. Will do a water change for him in a bit.

Congratulations on your new fish. He's gorgeous.

When you do water changes you'll want to keep the water temp as close to the qt water as possible so the fish won't go into shock. Are you using a heater?

When you do water changes you'll want to keep the water temp as close to the qt water as possible so the fish won't go into shock. Are you using a heater?

I am not. But I will be using similar temperature water from now. Original water was from the store.

I am not. But I will be using similar temperature water from now. Original water was from the store.

Never use the store water. Just remove fish sans water and add to your QT, AFTER having floated the bag in the QT tank to equalize the temps. :)

Never use the store water. Just remove fish sans water and add to your QT, AFTER having floated the bag in the QT tank to equalize the temps. :)

I have changed water and also made it a bit deeper. It seems he swims around a little bit but still spend a LOT of time on the bottom. He has no trouble eating at all and it seems he has a healthy appetite.

However, I am really concerned about the redness in his gills. I thought it was calico color at first but it seems very red.

Been doing water changes twice per day and been double dosing Prime. Followed the instruction with in QT section for salt as well.

Anything else I could possibly do for this little guy?