Sign in to follow this  
dnalex

Meet the Single Tails :D [12 Pictures]

I've had these two fish for some time now, but have actually never introduced them properly. So here goes :)

These two, The Stakos and Una-Buna, both Sarasas, have been with me for about nine months. They have since doubled in size (standard length) and that caudal fins have started to get nice and flowy. These are some of the most active fish I've had, and seemingly spend all day cruising the tank. :)

Together
KBN_3137_zps03637d03.jpg

The Stakos

KBN_3091_zps6d9617a8.jpg

KBN_3099_zps4f218c3f.jpg

KBN_3119_zps28a6e191.jpg

KBN_3122_zpsa064158c.jpg

Una-Buna
KBN_3080_zpsa94cab0d.jpg

KBN_3100_zpsa631f0c4.jpg

KBN_3123_zps7e984843.jpg

KBN_3128_zps7fffc150.jpg

Predators of the 100! :rofl
KBN_3131_zps99538eed.jpg

KBN_3132_zpsea66880b.jpg

And since it's the full moon today, it wouldn't be right if I didn't moon you! :rofl
KBN_3147_zps59de9574.jpg

Thank you for looking! :)

Yowza those are some fantastic shots (as always). Your single tails are crazy cute!

Love the new(ish) fish Alex.

They look great!

The photos are...okay.

Kidding. :P

You have a great eye for taking pictures.

Congratulations on your fish.

:)

:o. Are they female? I didn't think you allowed female fish in your door. :rofl

They are just beautiful! Love the names. :lol2

How long are they? They look big. :flex:

Wow great photos! They look awesome! I love the names :teehee

Beautiful single-tails. Yeah the fact that they are so active is what I love about mine too. Awesome pics!!!

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

Great pics and beautiful fish Alex.

:clapping::heart!! Awesome, Alex!! I never get tired of seeing your pictures!! They are so crisp and clear! Want to come take some pictures if mine? :P

What settings did you have on for these pictures?

Edited by Mikey

Wonderful fish! Una-Buna has an incredible scale pattern. Thank you for debuting these handsome fish!

Wow...great photos!

Yowza those are some fantastic shots (as always). Your single tails are crazy cute!

Love the new(ish) fish Alex.

They look great!

The photos are...okay.

Kidding. :P

You have a great eye for taking pictures.

Congratulations on your fish.

:)

Wow great photos! They look awesome! I love the names :teehee

:o. Are they female? I didn't think you allowed female fish in your door. :rofl

They are just beautiful! Love the names. :lol2

How long are they? They look big. :flex:

Thank you, Jared, Allie, Mike, Mel, and Lisa! :D

I like the names, too! :rofl

Lisa, I think that the Stakos is a boy. You can see small tubercles on both of the gill plates. Una-Buna is about 4-4.5 inches standard length, and the Stakos is 3 inches standard length. You can add another 1.5 to 2 inches for the tails. :)

i have been waiting a long time to meet myself... and aren't i pretty :ehh

:teehee

I thought this was going to be something else! :rofl3

I think that your pictures are stunning! :):heart

The photos are fantastic, gorgeous sarassas with perfect shape and beautiful coloration!

You mentioned that for 9 months they double their size, could you share what do you feed them with?

Beautiful single-tails. Yeah the fact that they are so active is what I love about mine too. Awesome pics!!!

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

Great pics and beautiful fish Alex.

Wonderful fish! Una-Buna has an incredible scale pattern. Thank you for debuting these handsome fish!

Thank you, Jeff, Avepico, and Lisa! :D

:clapping::heart!! Awesome, Alex!! I never get tired of seeing your pictures!! They are so crisp and clear! Want to come take some pictures if mine? :P

What settings did you have on for these pictures?

Thanks, Mikey! :)

I took these pics at f5.6, 1/160s, ISO1600, focal length 140mm. I was standing about 5 feet away, so I had to zoom all the way to 140, since I like closeup pics. :)

LOVELY! Do they have matte scales?

Thank you, Susanne! :)

These are both metallic, actually.

:rofl pretty, AND a boy :rofl

It's kinda crazy that I've told you about these fish months and months ago, yet never really showed them. :yikes:peeka

I thought this was going to be something else! :rofl3

I think that your pictures are stunning! :):heart

Thank you, Tammy! :D

What did you think it was going to be? :rofl

The photos are fantastic, gorgeous sarassas with perfect shape and beautiful coloration!

You mentioned that for 9 months they double their size, could you share what do you feed them with?

Thank you very much for the kind words! I will pass the compliments along to them. :rofl

These fish actually more than doubled in size. I meant to say that they have at least doubled in length, but mass-wise, I think they have gained a lot. The Stakos was 4 grams when I brought him home, and Una-Buna was 12 grams. I have not weighed them, but I wouldn't be surprised if one was 30 grams and the other 50g.

I have been going with a 2-3x per day feedings for these fish, and because they are single tails, I had much less to worry about SB issues etc. For one meal, they have a blend of Hikari Lionhead, Omega One, and New Life Spectrum, or the single components. The next meal is either Pro-Gold, shrimp pellets, or spirulina flakes. The last meal is always frozen, and it's either krill, bloodworms, mysis shrimp, or brine shrimp. This sort of varied feeding has worked very well for me, Lisa (fantailfan1), and Jared (jmetzger72), and some others. Jared and Lisa also feed red leaf lettuce. I do as well, but on a much less regular basis. :)

Thank you very much for the kind words! I will pass the compliments along to them. :rofl

These fish actually more than doubled in size. I meant to say that they have at least doubled in length, but mass-wise, I think they have gained a lot. The Stakos was 4 grams when I brought him home, and Una-Buna was 12 grams. I have not weighed them, but I wouldn't be surprised if one was 30 grams and the other 50g.

I have been going with a 2-3x per day feedings for these fish, and because they are single tails, I had much less to worry about SB issues etc. For one meal, they have a blend of Hikari Lionhead, Omega One, and New Life Spectrum, or the single components. The next meal is either Pro-Gold, shrimp pellets, or spirulina flakes. The last meal is always frozen, and it's either krill, bloodworms, mysis shrimp, or brine shrimp. This sort of varied feeding has worked very well for me, Lisa (fantailfan1), and Jared (jmetzger72), and some others. Jared and Lisa also feed red leaf lettuce. I do as well, but on a much less regular basis. :)

Alex, thank you very much for the detailed information, appreciate! That was very useful.

Way to hold out, Alex, it makes me wonder what other little surprises you might have in store. I absolutely love Sarasas, they be all regale and spotty and stuff. Nice addition. :)

Awesome fish. I wish I had the room for comets. It may be time for a pond.

:heart What a wonderful surprise! They are gorgeous :wub: Your photos are to beat beat the band! As usual :) I'm glad to know your secret food regime :nana

I think my next goldfish may be a shubunkin :teehee

wow they are both stunning :) I hope I can add a pond to my yard this spring/summer, I would love to have a few of them :)