Heat Wave!

Hey everyone,

Hope you had a beautiful holiday and feel all refreshed! I know it's icy and snowy for a lot of you, but here in Melbourne we are having a heat wave! Today it is going to be 44*C / 111*F :yikes

My tank is currently sitting at 32*C/ 89*F, which is hotter than I have ever seen it, and the day hasn't even heated up yet! They aren't showing any signs of stress, and there is plenty of aeration, so I guess I'm just looking for a little reassurance because I love them.

Will they be ok? Should I reduce feedings or anything? I'm thinking of doing a 50% WC to bring the temp down a little, but don't want to stress them with too much temperature variance.

Or should I just not worry so much lol :blush:

• Supporter

i would do a WC and bring it down to 35C

if you have a desk fan? small fan? all you need to do is point it to the surface of the water and turn it on. keeping the surface of the water fanned, actually keeps the temperature of the tank down.

stay cool, hun :heart

Hey everyone,

Hope you had a beautiful holiday and feel all refreshed! I know it's icy and snowy for a lot of you, but here in Melbourne we are having a heat wave! Today it is going to be 44*C / 111*F :yikes

My tank is currently sitting at 32*C/ 89*F, which is hotter than I have ever seen it, and the day hasn't even heated up yet! They aren't showing any signs of stress, and there is plenty of aeration, so I guess I'm just looking for a little reassurance because I love them.

Will they be ok? Should I reduce feedings or anything? I'm thinking of doing a 50% WC to bring the temp down a little, but don't want to stress them with too much temperature variance.

Or should I just not worry so much lol :blush:

They are fine, and they will show you signs of discomfort if they are feeling any.

Stay cool! :)

Its been 45ºc (113ºf) here all week and my fish are ok so far.

The ones outside in the ponds inc.

So yours should be fine. Just throw an extra airstone in if ya really worried.

As there is less dissolved oxygen in warmer water.

Meant to be 46c (115f) here today but already 39c (102f) and its only 10am.....

So im not gonna be surprised if it goes higher