bugs on water surface

MissLady

Didn't know where to post this but I am sure it will be moved if it is in the wrong place. I woke up this morning and fed the Goldie's to notice tons of these little greenish white bugs. At first I was like oh no not mosquitoes, but I don't think they are. What should I do? And what can be done about these bugs all the sudden? Please help, a little werired out by them.

I find those on my water surface, too! I think they're just little green gnats, but I'm not entirely sure where they're coming from. I sort of supposed that they may have lived in the soil of a houseplant until they were mature, and then were attracted to the aquarium because of the water. I'm not exactly thrilled by their presence, but I'm not particularly worried as long as there aren't too many of them. I figure the little bit of extra fresh protein won't hurt the fish! :P

If there's a ton and they're on the surface maybe you could get them out with a net? I don't think they're harmful to the fish; the fish will probably enjoy the snack. I understand wanting to get rid of them though.

Thanks everyone for the replies. They much have just appeared over night, I live in a detached bedroom that you enter via the backyard and I have two fish tanks a 20gal tropical planted, and my 45gal barebottom goldie tank with a lily and a few floating water sprite and the 45gal is the only one being effected. Its weird. I think it just weirded me out because they are in my room! I was scared I would come home from school and have a swarn of bugs buzzing around my room. But, that is not the case. It looks like my goldies ate most of them and the ones that are alive are taking refuge on the lily leaves. I don't have any potted plants in the room, but my sister did just buy me flowers that I have in a vase, but those are still closer to the 20gal and are bug free. Oh well, guess I was more concerned about where they came from too, I do have my bedroom door open now and again to air it out, and do water changes via the window. But, I still think it is odd that they would be only on one tank. But you all are right, the little grazing wont hurt.

Thanks again!

I had those in one of my tanks years ago, I never found out what they were, but I suspected they came with some plants I bought. I had three tanks at the time and only one with flies. They hatched & lived in the water until they developed into flies.