Narny105

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API liquid
      • * Water temperature? around 24C
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? pond 500L
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? home made canister 2x filtration
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? weekly 10%
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? today, 80% full clean (dog hair...)
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 4 fish; 3 large 1 small
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Daily hikari lion head
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? no
  • * Any medications added to the tank? no
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. prazi, metro gel food, salt.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? written below
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? no

Harry has developed a fascination with being an aquatic dog, and has been jumping in and out of the pond. I have tried to stop him and put up a net today but he pulled it off, so I am going to be making a chicken wire cover shortly.

He hasn't actually grabbed the fish, but has still caused damage just being in the pond. At the moment I've covered it with plywood sheets. My calico ryukin just has some minor fin damage and my raunchu is fine.

He has scratched a lot of scales off of Bubbles and Mr B, and has really done a lot of damage to Bubbles fins and Wen. At the moment I have them both in a 40 litre quarantine tank with a sponge filter. I will separate them in bigger tubs tomorrow.

I am going to salt straight up to 3% now and do some rounds of prazi later on since it's been a while, but my question is whether it's worth doing a precautionary treatment of metronidazole food on Bubbles? The damage definitely doesn't look too bad but he has been beaten up the worst.

I will be getting a video shortly

Thanks!

Edited by Narny105

Since the damages are superficial (read in oxygenated areas), metronidazole, at least by itself, is not too useful. It can be used in conjunction with something like Tri-Sulfa.

I hope Harry will break this habit, or at least you can set up some sort of barrier. :)

Ok. Thanks, Alex! The video will be about 10 minutes so let me know if you think it's worth doing something like that.

I hope so too- he's chewing the corners off of the ply sheets as we speak...

He only does it if he thinks no one is watching, and I got a sneaky pic of him in it :rofl I set up the shell pool for him, so he's been running through that :teehee He's never had a go at the fish and actually takes very little interest of them, so I don't think he'd ever grab one

I couldn't get the video to upload so here are some pictures. It's definitely not as bad as I thought it was now that I can see them side on. There's already some nice growth over some of the wounds so I think they're a day or two old.

IMG_2345_zps47d6a09e.jpg

IMG_2323_zps14ff3ac3.jpg

And here's the fin damage

IMG_2342_zps323b2ad6.jpg

Edited by Narny105

Harry needs his own dog pool ! :teehee

He has one, but it obviously isn't big enough or smelly enough :rofl

LOL Silly naughty dog. the fish must have been so shocked lol. Sending healing vibes to your finned friends

Lol they're used to him sticking his face in for a drink :P But I guess when you're trying to dodge large feet that's a bit of a different story! thanks :)

Omg! He is a menace!!! :rofl:hug all around for Narny and the poor traumatized fish and poor Harry because even naughty boys need love to :rofl I hope your goldfish heel quickly and without complication

Harry needs his own dog pool ! :teehee

He has one, but it obviously isn't big enough or smelly enough :rofl

LOL Silly naughty dog. the fish must have been so shocked lol. Sending healing vibes to your finned friends

Lol they're used to him sticking his face in for a drink :P But I guess when you're trying to dodge large feet that's a bit of a different story! thanks :)
Put your pond water when you do a water change in it. :lol2

I hope they get better soon!! :bighug

Edited by Mikey

I am going to net the pond I am getting. And only let my big dogs out on a leach. I also have a tie out for dogs if I want them out with me but not holding a leach. Labs love water! lol. Mine likes to swim in the catfish pond.

Oh Harry! Not again with the fish-based terrorizing! :o Dogs just love that fishy smell. :(

I hope you get this sorted and that everyone heals up quickly without incident.

Edited by ChelseaM

Narny, I was thinking you should keep a journal of Harry's adventures :teehee He has already done and gotten into so many things. This book/ journal would be a lovely keepsake and serve as a good memory of Harry down the road! :heart

There are some safe things to use that will probably keep the dogs away from your pond! Soak a bunch cotton balls in essential oils (eucalyptus & citronella are good ones) And place the cotton balls all around the area!! Dogs HATE these odors!

Also you can use chilli or cayenne powder.....dogs dislike the smell & sniffing it burns their nose...but really doesn't harm them...it'll quickly make them want to go elsewhere!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone :)

I made a chicken wire cover and put the two fish back in the pond yesterday. This morning Harry has jumped on top of the pond and the chicken wire has bent in, he's pulled it off and gone for a swim.

Well, Bubbles is now back in QT even worse with a lot of wen damage and my little chu is also in there with him with a messed up side. I am so angry with him...

Awww, so sorry to hear that Harry is totally determined to swim and play with your goldies despite your best efforts to try to show him that they are paws off. I'm wondering if there is some other training method that would work.

Sending healing energy for your fish!