Please talk to me about my eggs!

FishWish

I routinely hatch them in a glasslock container and then transfer them at a week old to a 5 gallon with a sponge filter.. It's nerve wracking but totally doable. Just don't use the baster, it can break their backs. I do what I call the "slow pour" lol. I slowly turn the container on an angle, meet the surface of the water and slowly sink it just a little so you avoid the water pressure. Then let them swim out. Sometimes they take a while to swim out though...that's a pain.

You'll probably have to go to an aquarium store to get the food. For the bbs, if you can buy Hikari frozen, go for it. It's guaranteed bacteria/disease free:)

I've actually used the turkey baster to move fry, the only thing is that you have to be v-e-r-y gentle when doing it. It's not so much to suck them into the baster as it is to have them flow inside with the current, but yes, it probably is best to not do that unless you have to. I learned the hard way that being slow and gentle with it is key :( Still, it was really helpful when trying to catch some fry that had hatched from eggs I hadn't managed to catch in the big tank with the adults.

As of this morning, we have about 25-30 fry! :greenbanana: It's hard to believe that I could only see 4 or 5 good eggs...they were all hiding under the silk plant. I am really happy with this number...I'm sure not all will survive but am hoping we have a few strong ones that pull through.

I also gently removed the plant and put it in a bucket of dechlorinated water to make sure there were no fry still attached. Now the fry tank is bare.

Thanks for the info...really great advice! I am heading to the store at lunchtime to see what I can find. And, yes, I don't think the one with the curled spine is alive. :cry

That's great that you have so many fry! :D Now for the fun part of watching them grow, and see what they're going to look like and what their colors are going to be. Have you checked the adult tank to make sure that there were no eggs that may have survived and hatched in there? :)

That's too bad that the fry died, but it wouldn't have had a happy life if it had survived with a bent back. :( Not to be too morbid, but I found that when the fry are small, they tend to . . . disintegrate and nearly completely disappear if more than a few minutes have passed after they've expired. I've had some of the bent back ones that when I went to go check on my fry, they had completely disappeared, and there was no sign of them ever being there. :undecided:

I routinely hatch them in a glasslock container and then transfer them at a week old to a 5 gallon with a sponge filter.. It's nerve wracking but totally doable. Just don't use the baster, it can break their backs. I do what I call the "slow pour" lol. I slowly turn the container on an angle, meet the surface of the water and slowly sink it just a little so you avoid the water pressure. Then let them swim out. Sometimes they take a while to swim out though...that's a pain.

You'll probably have to go to an aquarium store to get the food. For the bbs, if you can buy Hikari frozen, go for it. It's guaranteed bacteria/disease free:)

I've actually used the turkey baster to move fry, the only thing is that you have to be v-e-r-y gentle when doing it. It's not so much to suck them into the baster as it is to have them flow inside with the current, but yes, it probably is best to not do that unless you have to. I learned the hard way that being slow and gentle with it is key :( Still, it was really helpful when trying to catch some fry that had hatched from eggs I hadn't managed to catch in the big tank with the adults.

As of this morning, we have about 25-30 fry! :greenbanana: It's hard to believe that I could only see 4 or 5 good eggs...they were all hiding under the silk plant. I am really happy with this number...I'm sure not all will survive but am hoping we have a few strong ones that pull through.

I also gently removed the plant and put it in a bucket of dechlorinated water to make sure there were no fry still attached. Now the fry tank is bare.

Thanks for the info...really great advice! I am heading to the store at lunchtime to see what I can find. And, yes, I don't think the one with the curled spine is alive. :cry

That's great that you have so many fry! :D Now for the fun part of watching them grow, and see what they're going to look like and what their colors are going to be. Have you checked the adult tank to make sure that there were no eggs that may have survived and hatched in there? :)

That's too bad that the fry died, but it wouldn't have had a happy life if it had survived with a bent back. :( Not to be too morbid, but I found that when the fry are small, they tend to . . . disintegrate and nearly completely disappear if more than a few minutes have passed after they've expired. I've had some of the bent back ones that when I went to go check on my fry, they had completely disappeared, and there was no sign of them ever being there. :undecided:

Disappeared, eh? Weird.I wonder if fry would pick at the dead ones. One of my guys has a hiding spot that I have yet to discover...all that's in the tank is a sponge filter lol. Sometimes he's there and sometimes not. I keep thinking he died and is stuck in the filter...

Disappeared, eh? Weird.I wonder if fry would pick at the dead ones. One of my guys has a hiding spot that I have yet to discover...all that's in the tank is a sponge filter lol. Sometimes he's there and sometimes not. I keep thinking he died and is stuck in the filter...

You know, I have noticed this too. The fry with the curled spine looked like he was disintegrating and now I don't see him. Makes sense that if something is not living their bodies break down like ours only faster because they are so small.

You know, I have noticed this too. The fry with the curled spine looked like he was disintegrating and now I don't see him. Makes sense that if something is not living their bodies break down like ours only faster because they are so small.

That's cool. I wonder if it has the same impact on the water as a bigger (dead) fish would.

I think they are doing ok. The tank is totally bare so some are hanging on the sides but a lot are resting on the bottom. If you bump the tank, they all stir and go crazy swimming. This afternoon will be 48 hrs. I was planning to try a small feeding to see if they were ready to eat. I found hikari first bites and froz bbs. Should I add the sponge filter yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think they are doing ok. The tank is totally bare so some are hanging on the sides but a lot are resting on the bottom. If you bump the tank, they all stir and go crazy swimming. This afternoon will be 48 hrs. I was planning to try a small feeding to see if they were ready to eat. I found hikari first bites and froz bbs. Should I add the sponge filter yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would say add the sponge filter when they are free swimming. I usually wait about a week, but lots of folks put it in earlier. I'm just paranoid:)

I hate bumping the tank. lol. Happens, but it freaks me out.

A feeding today is perfect. They are ready anywhere from 36-48 hours. They usually don't eat much, if at all during the first feed or two. In a few days, they'll be going crazy for it:)

I'd start out with the bbs. I've had a lot more success with it in the first two weeks. Then you can switch over. The First Bites are so easy:) You just put a little tank water in a cup, dump some of the powder in (you'll get to know your favourite thickness. The more water, the more it will blow around the tank), mix it and baste it in to the tank. I find if you drop it in right at the floor of the tank, it makes clean up so much easier. I find they really start to bulk up on the First Bites.

Don't forget to skim the surface of the water with the baster, or piece of paper towel. The slime will build up and they won't be able to breal through to fill their swim bladders when they start to swim around. So much fun! You won't believe how fast they grow.

Do you plan to do a few rounds of Praziquantel?

The Prazi is a REALLY good idea. I lost a huge bunch of fry and I think flukes were to blame. They are present everywhere and really go after the little guys. I start treatment at one week of age. I do 4 rounds. With your daily water changes, dosing them won't be complicated at all. It's very gentle. I am now Prazi-ing every new fish that enters my house lol. Sort of like deworming a puppy.

Alex made a really great schedule based on 6 rounds. I do 4 rounds for the wee ones. You can do a 5 or 7 day protocol. I do 5 just because it's shorter. I don't add salt, but many people do for fry. It takes care of 7 different pathogens. I'm not sure how much you should do though, if you wanted to. Hopefully someone with salt/fry experience will chime in. I usually like salt with my fries, but not these ones. lol, what a terrible joke. Check this out:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/105076-schedules-for-the-treatment-of-flukes-etc-using-praziquantel/

Well, I should have figured as your signature implies that you wouldn't like bumping the tank! :rofl3 My son likes to tap it to make sure the fry are just sleeping. I have to be the tank bodyguard.
I will do Prazi if it is recommended. I was in the middle of the second round of prazi in the main tank when these were laid. With such a small volume of water I think I'll need help with dosages though.

Well, I should have figured as your signature implies that you wouldn't like bumping the tank! :rofl3 My son likes to tap it to make sure the fry are just sleeping. I have to be the tank bodyguard.
I will do Prazi if it is recommended. I was in the middle of the second round of prazi in the main tank when these were laid. With such a small volume of water I think I'll need help with dosages though.

LOL! I walked right in to that one...or bumped. lol

Okay, so you're down with the Prazi:) If you have a 2.5 gallon bucket, it's 1/8 of a teaspoon (1/4 tsp/ 5 gallons). Just make sure, if you clean the tank, that you add back any Prazi that you took out. That's where the math gets stupid lol. I have lost all of my fry save for two (who look huge and awesome, fingers crossed) and I know flukes had something to do with it. Nasty little buggers.

That's awesome that your kid(s?) are into the fry. I have four kids and the two youngest are in there all the time. With all the time I spend caring for these fry, being able to spend time with the kids while I work is definitely a plus. :thumb: