Please talk to me about my eggs!

FishWish

Nola spawned eggs either late Friday night or early Saturday morning. I moved them on a silk plant to a 5 g tank and have been watching them closely. Not only is this totally new to me but it's the first time I have ever seen gf eggs! Some of the eggs are looking fuzzy now and in others I can see a pinpoint black dot. Is this common?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha ha!! I love it!!! Should I do anything with the fuzzy ones?? Can you point me to some places to study up on this?? I read in the fish bible (oops I mean Eric Johnson's fancy gf book - ha ha!!) that he lowers the water level to 6 inches when the eggs hatch bc it's easier on their swim bladders. Also, can we talk feeding??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not exactly sure how you would discard the bad eggs, but just try and get them out of the tank for now.

Many members have had great success with newly-hatched brine shrimp for a staple diet. Are you able to get your hands on some brine shrimp eggs?

This video will give you a bit of an idea on how it's done.

If you can't get any, crushed pellets work fine as well. During the first days of life, however, the fry can rely on feeding on their yolk sacs.

In the meantime, I suggest you look through the "Goldfish Breeding" section of the forum. It is full of blogs of fry development and information that can really help you learn more!

I'm not exactly sure how you would discard the bad eggs, but just try and get them out of the tank for now.

Many members have had great success with newly-hatched brine shrimp for a staple diet. Are you able to get your hands on some brine shrimp eggs?

This video will give you a bit of an idea on how it's done.

If you can't get any, crushed pellets work fine as well. During the first days of life, however, the fry can rely on feeding on their yolk sacs.

In the meantime, I suggest you look through the "Goldfish Breeding" section of the forum. It is full of blogs of fry development and information that can really help you learn more!

Great video...thanks!! Would frozen baby brine shrimp be too big? I have been reading here and there...we will see what happens. It looks like I have very few good eggs. Only 3 or 4 that I can see. But, the black dots have changed some...hoping that's a good sign that they are growing!

Great video...thanks!! Would frozen baby brine shrimp be too big? I have been reading here and there...we will see what happens. It looks like I have very few good eggs. Only 3 or 4 that I can see. But, the black dots have changed some...hoping that's a good sign that they are growing!

You mean the standard- sized brine shrimp? Yes, they are too big. I'm not sure if they sell frozen BBS. :hummm Hatching them is probably easiest.

Good luck!

What about Hikari First Bites? That's one thing I fed when I had fry but that was SEVERAL years ago. :idont

Do you see a black line forming? That's the spine. :teehee

I've had a bad time with that food as young fry, dry foods are generally not recommended either. The baby brine shrimp (bbs) are best for them. The hikari also tends to go bad fast in the tank if you feed too much. I like to use bbs first, then after they develop a bit I use decapsulated brine shrimp eggs and tiny bits of repashy gel food.

They actually do sell frozen baby brine shrimp (from hikari) and ive had good success with it. Hikari first bites is also a good option.You can raise the temperature of the tank to around 80 degrees for optimum growth rate, but its important to remember that at that temperature their metabolism is increased which means they will produce waste more quickly so more frequent water changes are required.

I would suggest to try feeding love food for atleast the first few feedings. When they are newly hatched they have poor eyesight and dont see many things as food. The movement of the bbs attracts them quickly. Once they realize it is food, it is easier to switch them.

Congrats! Up to a few more days and you're a grandma!

I feed my guys frozen baby brine shrimp for the first two weeks and then I switch to Hikari First Bites. I have found that my fry eat the First Bites more excitedly. I only leave it in the tank for about 45 minutes per go.

I have terrible luck with fungused eggs. One thing that really improved my numbers was to do a 24 hour Methylene Blue bath after you collect the eggs. All of the unfertilized or dead eggs turn blue, so it's really easy to see the ones you have to remove.

There is an amazing thread that was pinned in this section. It's called "Raising Fry-With Photos", I believe. It goes through all of the steps at different ages. You should check it out:)

One thing I did this time (dunce cap), was to turn off the sponge filter when you feed. The food spreads around the tank a lot less, making it easier to remove and improving the condition of the water. Sounds obvious lol, but I hadn't been doing it.

I would suggest to try feeding love food for atleast the first few feedings. When they are newly hatched they have poor eyesight and dont see many things as food. The movement of the bbs attracts them quickly. Once they realize it is food, it is easier to switch them.

Love food...that being...food made with love? By me? Ha! Well, after watching the video about the BBS hatchery, I think I really could do that if that's what is best. My kids are going to go bonkers if I am hatching shrimp in our house! :teehee

Can I find the BBS eggs at the chain pet stores?

I feed my guys frozen baby brine shrimp for the first two weeks and then I switch to Hikari First Bites. I have found that my fry eat the First Bites more excitedly. I only leave it in the tank for about 45 minutes per go.

I have terrible luck with fungused eggs. One thing that really improved my numbers was to do a 24 hour Methylene Blue bath after you collect the eggs. All of the unfertilized or dead eggs turn blue, so it's really easy to see the ones you have to remove.

There is an amazing thread that was pinned in this section. It's called "Raising Fry-With Photos", I believe. It goes through all of the steps at different ages. You should check it out:)

One thing I did this time (dunce cap), was to turn off the sponge filter when you feed. The food spreads around the tank a lot less, making it easier to remove and improving the condition of the water. Sounds obvious lol, but I hadn't been doing it.

Ok, speaking of these fungused eggs...I have a hot mess going on. I have picked all the fungused eggs that I can but there are too many and I'm scared to damage the few good eggs I have...only about 4-5 I can see.

OMG!!!!! One just hatched right now!!!! It's not moving...guessing it's going to feed off of its yoke sac for a day or so. I don't feel ready for this. I'm going to upload pics...

Love food...that being...food made with love? By me? Ha! Well, after watching the video about the BBS hatchery, I think I really could do that if that's what is best. My kids are going to go bonkers if I am hatching shrimp in our house! :teehee

Can I find the BBS eggs at the chain pet stores?

Ok, speaking of these fungused eggs...I have a hot mess going on. I have picked all the fungused eggs that I can but there are too many and I'm scared to damage the few good eggs I have...only about 4-5 I can see.

OMG!!!!! One just hatched right now!!!! It's not moving...guessing it's going to feed off of its yoke sac for a day or so. I don't feel ready for this. I'm going to upload pics...

Yay! Congrats grandma! To get the fungused eggs out, use a turkey baster. If that's too big there is another option. I use a little "baster" that I got with a test kit. It's about 10% of the size. You can also use a medication dropper.

Another big bummer is flukes. It's a good idea to do a few rounds when the fry are a week old. I've had waaaaay better luck with it than without.

Need pics lol. They sometimes look dead, but don't worry:) I keep thinking of stuff I want to tell you. I am right in the thick of it with my 5th or 6th batch born January 1. I have lousy luck. I've learned a ton though:) This site has been amazing. It has saved at least 2 lives at my house (thanks Alex, Tithra and Helen...and about 10 other people haha).

Yay! Congrats grandma! To get the fungused eggs out, use a turkey baster. If that's too big there is another option. I use a little "baster" that I got with a test kit. It's about 10% of the size. You can also use a medication dropper.

Another big bummer is flukes. It's a good idea to do a few rounds when the fry are a week old. I've had waaaaay better luck with it than without.

Need pics lol. They sometimes look dead, but don't worry:) I keep thinking of stuff I want to tell you. I am right in the thick of it with my 5th or 6th batch born January 1. I have lousy luck. I've learned a ton though:) This site has been amazing. It has saved at least 2 lives at my house (thanks Alex, Tithra and Helen...and about 10 other people haha).

Thanks, Sarah! This is so much cooler than I thought it would be! I'm up to about 7-10 hatched!

Petsmart didn't have any BBS eggs or Hikari First Bites. :thumbdown

The nasty eggs are really strongly attached to the silk plant...do you think a turkey baster will get them off?? What about moving the fry out into another container...is that doable? Right now most of them are hanging but I have one moving a bit on the bottom of the tank.

To get the fungused eggs out, use a turkey baster. If that's too big there is another option. I use a little "baster" that I got with a test kit. It's about 10% of the size. You can also use a medication dropper.

Yes, get yourself a turkey baster ASAP! :D I used it all the time with my fry. You can use it to remove the fuzzy eggs, although if they're stuck on something tightly, you may have to poke it or scape it off with the tip of the turkey baster, or a bamboo skewer. It can also be used to remove old food and debris, or dead fry. I also used it with feeding them. I would put some First bites in a glass container, squirt some water into it with the turkey baster, them suck it up and drop it into the tank. You might not need to do it quite this way, as you don't have 100 + fry. :P

I also used the turkey baster for feeding the brine shrimp. I don't have a brine shrimp hatchery (although I know they have DIY ones) I just used a glass vase with a bubbler in it, and after the BBS hatched and I wanted to feed my fry, I would take the bubbler out and leave the container sitting still on the top of my tank for a minute while the water calmed down. The BBS would be attracted to the light they could see below from the tank (I have a glass top on it) and they would all huddle down at the bottom of the vase. Then I could take my turkey baster and suck them up, and strain then over another container with a bandana, then rinse them once with tank water. Then I would just dip the corner of the bandana with the brine shrimp on it in the tank, making sure they all got off.

Congratulations on being a fishy grandma! I'm sure you and your kids will have a great time watching them grow! I know when my fish spawned, I felt a bit like an overgrown kid myself! :P

You can boil an egg and use the egg yolk. It's kinda messy, but it's a pretty good food for fry. With your leftover egg yolk, I'd chop it up, then put it in the freezer for later use (I usually double bag mine to prevent freezer burn).

Also, for the first several days after hatching, your fry won't need to be fed as they'll be feeding off of their egg sacks, as others have said. You can kind of see them as a clear bubble on their abdomen on newly hatched fry. About the time they stop clinging to the sides of the tank and start swimming freely, they should be ready to eat. I'd test first to be sure, though. Put a little itty bit of food in the tank by the fry, and if they ignore it, they aren't ready yet, but if they kind of dart towards it and stop like they're pausing to eat, then they're ready! :)

Also, on your second picture of the fry, I saw that that one was curled up. :huh: In my experience, there are occasionally a few fry that will never straighten up from being in the egg, or have a deformed spine like that. When they try to swim, they'll just end up going in circles, or doing what looks like a crazy dance. They'll end up eventually dying, likely, but they wouldn't have had a very good quality of life like that, anyway. I just wanted to warn you what to expect, just in case it happens :(

Thanks, Sarah! This is so much cooler than I thought it would be! I'm up to about 7-10 hatched!

The nasty eggs are really strongly attached to the silk plant...do you think a turkey baster will get them off?? What about moving the fry out into another container...is that doable? Right now most of them are hanging but I have one moving a bit on the bottom of the tank.

I routinely hatch them in a glasslock container and then transfer them at a week old to a 5 gallon with a sponge filter.. It's nerve wracking but totally doable. Just don't use the baster, it can break their backs. I do what I call the "slow pour" lol. I slowly turn the container on an angle, meet the surface of the water and slowly sink it just a little so you avoid the water pressure. Then let them swim out. Sometimes they take a while to swim out though...that's a pain.

You'll probably have to go to an aquarium store to get the food. For the bbs, if you can buy Hikari frozen, go for it. It's guaranteed bacteria/disease free:)

UPDATE!

As of this morning, we have about 25-30 fry! :greenbanana: It's hard to believe that I could only see 4 or 5 good eggs...they were all hiding under the silk plant. I am really happy with this number...I'm sure not all will survive but am hoping we have a few strong ones that pull through.

I also gently removed the plant and put it in a bucket of dechlorinated water to make sure there were no fry still attached. Now the fry tank is bare.

You can boil an egg and use the egg yolk. It's kinda messy, but it's a pretty good food for fry. With your leftover egg yolk, I'd chop it up, then put it in the freezer for later use (I usually double bag mine to prevent freezer burn).

Also, for the first several days after hatching, your fry won't need to be fed as they'll be feeding off of their egg sacks, as others have said. You can kind of see them as a clear bubble on their abdomen on newly hatched fry. About the time they stop clinging to the sides of the tank and start swimming freely, they should be ready to eat. I'd test first to be sure, though. Put a little itty bit of food in the tank by the fry, and if they ignore it, they aren't ready yet, but if they kind of dart towards it and stop like they're pausing to eat, then they're ready! :)

Also, on your second picture of the fry, I saw that that one was curled up. :huh: In my experience, there are occasionally a few fry that will never straighten up from being in the egg, or have a deformed spine like that. When they try to swim, they'll just end up going in circles, or doing what looks like a crazy dance. They'll end up eventually dying, likely, but they wouldn't have had a very good quality of life like that, anyway. I just wanted to warn you what to expect, just in case it happens :(

Thanks for the info...really great advice! I am heading to the store at lunchtime to see what I can find. And, yes, I don't think the one with the curled spine is alive. :cry