EGGS?!?! Nemo & Nolan keeping busy in the new tank?!?!?!

FishWish

Nemo and Nolan must be very happy…I think I've got eggs in the tank!!! Ahhh!! This is so new to me. I am really freaking out. Being new to the hobby I figured it would take years before I would have to handle this...

When I woke up this morning, I saw that the purple silk plant looked disheveled. I didn't think much of it. We are in the middle of round 2 of Prazi treatment, and they have both been more chipper…not bottom sitting anymore. So, I thought they were just PLAYING!! Then I noticed, Nemo (the smaller of the two) following Nolan (the larger) around and bumming into her? from behind. So, I am assuming Nolan is really Nola??? And, does that make Nemo definitely a he or could he be a she also???

Can you guys confirm that these are in fact eggs. If so, what are the odds that fry will result?? OMG!! :yikes

Don't get me wrong…I am glad they are happy, but I'm not sure I am equipped to handle fry. Feel like an irresponsible mother that didn't teach her kids the birds and the bees! IMG_1511_zps137f43f1.jpgIMG_1507_zps43f7483e.jpg

Yep, those are eggs. :teehee

They are happy campers. :rofl

Nolan is a Nola and you can be pretty sure Nemo is male. I don't think I've ever had a female chase another female. Look closely at his cheeks and the front ray of his pectoral fins and see if you can find any tiny white bumps. :D

They will eat the eggs. If you don't want to find out whether or not they are fertilized, remove them from your tank. If they are mainly on the plants, remove the plants and rinse them in water. If you need to do a WC, just replace any prazi and/or salt that you've removed.

Congratulations on your unintentional eggs! :nana If you want them to see if they develop, put them in a new tank (you can just move the plant). Otherwise, the fish will make quick work of eating them. Lol!

I don't see any signs of breeding stars on Nemo. Does this mean that the eggs probably have not been fertilized?

I put the plant and a few stones with eggs on them in the old 5 gallon tank and added prime. No filter or air stone. I just can't see getting rid of the eggs in case they have been fertilized. It just feels wrong somehow.

This business could have started overnight...because there are not a ton of eggs. I may have rescued 20-30 on the plant.

On average how long does it take for them to hatch? And, do I need to change the water in the "fry" tank?