Frank!

Scarlett

I am currently raising about 150 - 200 Orandas fry. They are approximately three weeks old. One of the fry is much larger than the others and has a big, fat belly... So, I named him after my Dad. FRANK! LOL

Anyway... I've been having at least half a dozen fry die every day for the past week and I couldn't figure out why. I did a round of Prazi and salt. Nope, no difference. That wad until I saw Frank, suck up one of his brothers or sisters, chew its tail off and spit it out. Little %#?!

Mystery solved. And now Frank is living in a little breeding net, by himself!!!

Edited by Scarlett

What a bully :o haha can't help instincts I guess :no:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

That was until I saw Frank, suck up one of his brothers or sisters, chew its tail off and spit it out.

Oh, bad, bad Frank!!! :no: That's awful of him! He must really be quite a bit bigger that his siblings. Must be the extra protein. :P

I had a nice amount of fry also, but my big little guy, Dean....He ate them. :o There was only one fry smart enough to live through Dean's reign of terror, and that's my little Sammy. LOL!

Good for you, putting the big guy in a net. I agree with Alex--we need pics!

I've found three Frank's in total, although the other two weren't eating their siblings, they were just on the larger side... But not as large as Frank!

I will take a photo of Frank tomorrow when I do a water change. I would put one of his siblings in with him for size comparison purposes, but... He'd eat it!!! LOL

THE CIIIIIIIRCLE OF LIIIIIIIIIFE! :whistle

:peeka

I'm glad you found the culprit. It would suck to lose a huge batch of fry to one or two of them eating their siblings.

Edited by ChelseaM

:rofl that was a super funny story :peeka

First, you named your fat fish after your dad. Does he know? Then, talking about biting a tail and spitting it out :rofl then it always cracks me up when people cuss with symbols :o I do apologize if my amusement is inappropriate :hug

I'm happy you found the cure for fry apocalypse before " the end" ;) Yeah for the smarty pants fry who eluded frank :rofl3 looking forward to pics :nana

First, you named your fat fish after your dad. Does he know? Then, talking about biting a tail and spitting it out :rofl then it always cracks me up when people cuss with symbols :o I do apologize if my amusement is inappropriate :hug

I'm happy you found the cure for fry apocalypse before " the end" ;) Yeah for the smarty pants fry who eluded frank :rofl3 looking forward to pics :nana

that wasnt HER frank it was someone elses fish that did the the same thing as frank

that wasnt HER frank it was someone elses fish that did the the same thing as frank
Huh? What? :idont

Okay... The big one smack bang in the middle... That's Frank! lol

u2uhujy5.jpg

The others are his crew. They all seemed just a little too big to be trusted.

Edited by Scarlett

I see, after the third week, the smallest ones should be culled. They are unlike to grow normally (runts or stunts). Just concentrate on the average and bigger ones and feed heavily and do big water changes then you'll unlikely to face problems.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I wussed out. I couldn't cull the smaller ones. So, I've put the larger ones back in there and I guess they'll do it for me. Grizzly business raising fry....

Edited by Scarlett

You are welcome. I am the same, I hate the culling part (killing part). When I first started I try not to cull based on just cosmetic but just only taking out the deformed ones but faced with many problems further down the track so now I have to do the inevitable to sustain this hobby. If you breed fish and not doing culling, you'll need lots of space. They can grow double in size in a matter of weeks. That means you've to double your container capacity too.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk