Sign in to follow this  
Kitty1297

Stocking a 10 Gallon Tank

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place, I was unsure where to post it.

My coworker asked me about getting goldfish for her 4 year old daughter. I advised her against it and talked to her about why goldfish weren't a good idea in that small of a tank. She was unsure of the size of her tank, but she brought in a reptile lid that she had that fit it. (She had it so she could get the right size cover from the store.) It looked to be the size of the top of a 10 gallon tank. She then asked me what type of fish would be good in this tank and I was unsure as I haven't owned anything outside of goldfish. She doesn't seem to have any experience of actually taking care of any fish.

So my question is, what type of fish would be easy to take care of and can work in a 10 gallon tank?

Guppies are colorful for kids. Does she have a filter and heater and all?

There are lots of options. One you will see here is bettas. While it is a misconception that they only need a cup of water to be happy they do really well in a larger tank as well. You can also do a few guppies or cupple of mollies. Honey gourami is another option. A few danios or corycat fish are good aswell. Some schooling fish can live in a 10gal like neons but do better in something like a 20Gal in larger schools. This is just a few things off the top of my head.

Ps. Sorry if I misspelled anything.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by Daniel E.

She does not have all the stuff yet, just a 10 gallon tank she got from another coworker. I have offered her a 20 that my parents are getting rid of. She's going to measure the spot she wants to put it in to see if there's enough room below the light switch. I can hook her up with a filter. I might have a 10 gallon filter I could give her and I definitely have an extra 20 gallon filter I could give her. (Plus some extra filter media that I have taking up space.) I might be able to convince her to buy a heater (especially since she won't be having to pay for a filter.)

Do you have any links to a good guide for guppies that I could send her? I think those would be her best bet considering that her duaghter wants more than one and enjoys watching the fish.

White cloud minnows or a betta would also be good. 10 gallons is a lot of space for a betta, but some of them (unfortunately none I've ever seen in a pet store) can be downright beautiful. I saw some on Aquabid and was stunned. Before that I'd only ever seen the sad-looking ones in those plastic cups with deteriorated fins. Guppies or mollies would be nice, but I hope she doesn't end up with a pregnant one!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Do you have any links to a good guide for guppies that I could send her? I think those would be her best bet considering that her duaghter wants more than one and enjoys watching the fish.

Here's a wikipedia article on guppies. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guppy

She'll probably want to get just males. They are more colorful and without females she won't run into the issue of a tank overrun with babies. 5-10 guppies should be good stocking for a 10 gallon assuming that is the only fish she is keeping in the tank.

Please also give her some information about cycling if you haven't already http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/112965-fishless-cycle-instructions/

Ideally, she'll want to cycle the tank before she gets the fish. Either way, she will want to get a test kit to keep an eye on water quality http://tastyworms.com/api-freshwater-master-test-kit.html

I'm sure others here will fill in with more info. I know Koko and her husband have a nice guppy tank :)

Thank you for the links! I'll be sure to send them to her!

I had no clue that there were so many different types of fish that could be kept in such a little tank. Thank you for all the info!