Sign in to follow this  
goldiegeek

Spawning Like it's Going Out of Style

Hi Guys,

I have a bunch of tanks going and am puzzled. For the last two months, two of my tanks have been spawning on a regular basis. Now I have a tank with 2 goldfish that are about a year old and are showing spawning behaviour. No tubercles yet. I know this is impossible, but what the heck are they doing? Do I have hormones in my water? One chased the other, pushing and nipping for about three hours. Didn't notice any eggs or anything, but what the heck?

I wished for spawning forever lol, but now I find myself rolling my eyes at them:) Don't they usually spawn in the Spring? Will these eggs ever stop coming? It's a moral dilemma for me. I can't seem to just ignore the eggs and leave them there haha. They start eating the eggs and I go into rescue mode. What is up with my fish? Geez.

I am having the same problem and would like to get an answer as well. One of my fish is male and the rest (5) are female and he's been @ it like no other...I don't really see the tubercles either.

I am having the same problem and would like to get an answer as well. One of my fish is male and the rest (5) are female and he's been @ it like no other...I don't really see the tubercles either.

So strange, eh? We got some crazy warm weather with the first spawning. I chalked it up to timing, but this is nuts. I've had to remove a female from one of the tanks because 2 males will not leave her alone and she's had a scale ripped off. They just really like the ladies lol. I'm stumped, hopefully someone will shed some light for us:)

I started my goldfish tank about 6 months ago and stocked it with the baby goldfishes from petsmart. Two weeks ago my oranda sprayed eggs all over my tank. I'm pretty sure my largest fantail is a male but no breeding stars.

So strange, eh? We got some crazy warm weather with the first spawning. I chalked it up to timing, but this is nuts. I've had to remove a female from one of the tanks because 2 males will not leave her alone and she's had a scale ripped off. They just really like the ladies lol. I'm stumped, hopefully someone will shed some light for us:)

Yea. I don't know if I sohuld separate him, I don't really have another tank , other one is in cycling right now and this one is not even cycled properly. And my guy has PLENTY of targets.

Rest of the fish are all about the same size or larger my biggest concern is my smallest Ryukin I am afraid she might be bullied

I started my goldfish tank about 6 months ago and stocked it with the baby goldfishes from petsmart. Two weeks ago my oranda sprayed eggs all over my tank. I'm pretty sure my largest fantail is a male but no breeding stars.

Eggs already???? What?! That's crazy. I thought they had to be 2-3. There must be some sort of evolution going on here haha.

Yea. I don't know if I sohuld separate him, I don't really have another tank , other one is in cycling right now and this one is not even cycled properly. And my guy has PLENTY of targets.

Rest of the fish are all about the same size or larger my biggest concern is my smallest Ryukin I am afraid she might be bullied

Not fun. If you have a storage bin, maybe you could move the male there for a bit, just to give those poor females a break. That is a lot of targets lol. It's like ladies' night in there. I put up a divider at one point for a few days, that would probably be a lot less stressful than a storage bin. Crazy fish.

Just let it happen. It means extra WCs to get rid of the rotting eggs, but it also means a buffet for your fish. :) If eggs are dropped, that is.

Clementine first started releasing eggs around 7-8 months, I believe. I doubt they were viable, but they came out. She has spawned on and off since then with complete disregard for any of the 'natural' spawning conditions. She just gets fat and lays eggs.

That being said, spawning is instinctive. So it's just going to happen.

One question though: Are you sure it is spawning and not bullying behavior?

Mine looks like this, not my video but same behavior

And he is doing it to every other fish...

Edited by WeeBeyPrice

Wow! That fish sure is frisky.

Just let it happen. It means extra WCs to get rid of the rotting eggs, but it also means a buffet for your fish. :) If eggs are dropped, that is.

Clementine first started releasing eggs around 7-8 months, I believe. I doubt they were viable, but they came out. She has spawned on and off since then with complete disregard for any of the 'natural' spawning conditions. She just gets fat and lays eggs.

Oh, it's spawning. Twice a week or so. That's why I am sick of it lol. I feel bad if I leave the eggs in the tank...

Oh, it's spawning. Twice a week or so. That's why I am sick of it lol. I feel bad if I leave the eggs in the tank...

It actually will help the mother regain some of those lost nutrients she used making the eggs if she has a chance to munch on them. I'd only remove them immediately if you want babies. If not, give the fish half a day or so to snack and then siphon them out so that they don't pollute the water when they rot.

Edited by ChelseaM

I think the frequent spawning means that you are providing a great environment for your fish!

I think the frequent spawning means that you are providing a great environment for your fish!

Well that makes me happy!

WeeBey, are you finding eggs in your tank?

Hi Guys,

2 goldfish that are about a year old and are showing spawning behaviour. No tubercles yet. I know this is impossible,.

Hi goldiegeek,

Why do you say it it impossible?

goldfish can and do spawn first season , that means as soon as 10 month.

they need correct temperatures , and in house we find these.

they like lunar times such as a few days before full and new moon. ( many animals are "lunar" )

so this means that in a "false" spring such as in house can trigger these events early.

Hi Guys,

2 goldfish that are about a year old and are showing spawning behaviour. No tubercles yet. I know this is impossible,.

Hi goldiegeek,

Why do you say it it impossible?

goldfish can and do spawn first season , that means as soon as 10 month.

they need correct temperatures , and in house we find these.

they like lunar times such as a few days before full and new moon. ( many animals are "lunar" )

so this means that in a "false" spring such as in house can trigger these events early.

I had just always heard and read that. Weird. We definitely worked on the lunar cycle when trying to induce spawning, with no success of course lol. Now, it just seems to be more and more fish and more and more often.