Sands in goldfish poop

hanwinting

is it normal for Goldfish to have sands in the poop? I have recently set up a 40G breeder tank with Carib Sea Tahitan Moon sand. The problem is when the goldfish is foraging for food, it seems to have swallowed the sand too because i have seeing sands in its poop.

thanks

is it normal for Goldfish to have sands in the poop? I have recently set up a 40G breeder tank with Carib Sea Tahitan Moon sand. The problem is when the goldfish is foraging for food, it seems to have swallowed the sand too because i have seeing sands in its poop.

?

?

?

thanks

Yes, that's normal. :)

The process supposedly will help with digestion, because of the grittiness of the sand. I'm not sure if it's actually true, but at least it's not abnormal. :)

I agree with Alex. It is a very natural occurrence as their wild carp relatives sift through sandy bottoms their whole lives with no issues. i have my goldfish on sand for quite a while with no issues, my pond also has a very thin layer of sand that the fish enjoy sifting through.

thanks

Yes, that's normal. :)

The process supposedly will help with digestion, because of the grittiness of the sand. I'm not sure if it's actually true, but at least it's not abnormal. :)

thanks thats good to know :)

I agree with Alex. It is a very natural occurrence as their wild carp relatives sift through sandy bottoms their whole lives with no issues. i have my goldfish on sand for quite a while with no issues, my pond also has a very thin layer of sand that the fish enjoy sifting through.

another problem is that when the fish is eating the pellets, it usually gets spit back out along with sand. do you have that kind of problem with your fish also?

Edited by hanwinting

What pellets are you feeding? Either the pellets are too hard and need a quick pre-soak, too big, and/or there are mouth/gill irritations. Did you ever treat for flukes?

What pellets are you feeding? Either the pellets are too hard and need a quick pre-soak, too big, and/or there are mouth/gill irritations. Did you ever treat for flukes?

New life spectrum 2mm sinking pellets. currently treating with salt and prezi

In all the years I've had goldfish on sand, I've never had goldfish eat the sand! (I've seen them pick it up, but then spit it out)

Can you post a photo, that would be very interesting to see!

:D

New life spectrum 2mm sinking pellets. currently treating with salt and prezi

Let's soak the pellets for about 30 seconds before feeding. You can also try frozen stuff for a while, too. :)

In all the years I've had goldfish on sand, I've never had goldfish eat the sand!? (I've seen them pick it up, but then spit it out)

Can you post a photo, that would be very interesting to see!

:D

I will see if I can get a photo as well, but this is not an isolate occurrence. It happens with some frequency. :)

When the goldfish try to eat the pellets, a lot of sands got mix in with it too. When it spit out the sand, most of pellets particles came out along with the sand. So how do i know if the fish is eating or spitting the pellets back out and got suck in by filter?

When the goldfish try to eat the pellets, a lot of sands got mix in with it too. When it spit out the sand, most of pellets particles came out along with the sand. So how do i know if the fish is eating or spitting the pellets back out and got suck in by filter?

I would guess that it's both. Have you seen them poop food colored poops? If so, then there's your proof. :)

I would guess that it's both. Have you seen them poop food colored poops? If so, then there's your proof. :)

oh yes. that make sense XD

The thing with sand casings (where the "poop" is just sand) is that they are heavier than normal poop. So they tend to fall off in very short lengths and sink immediately. Then they get mashed back into the sand by your goldies foraging. So I think this is why some of you don't see it frequently. I saw it quite often when i kept my goldfish on sand.