Question about cycling, products, PH, and Ammonia. Please help!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How are things going? :idont

Sorry did not see this earlier.

I have been doing 2x per day WCs at 80-90% each time. I have been adding Prime.

I have started to see nitrites but my Ammonia has not hit 0. What is really strange is, one fish seems to be getting ammonia burn.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/115985-weird-white-spot-growing-from-under-scales/

That was the fish 1 week ago. Over this week, he has developed black trim on tip of his back + anal fins. Also he is getting black on some of the body scales and even the wen!!!

I find it really strange because everytime I test for Ammonia it would be under 1 now, and I do 2x daily WCs. It seems to be happening pretty fast I even see new wen growing out black.

Only other thing I changed is I have started to give them Hikari Purple in the afternoons instead of HL.

Ammonia under 1 is still ammonia. And he's been exposed to it for quite some time. It will heal. What kind of nitrite readings are you getting?

This is the result for the water that was just changed out

Ammonia: 0.25

Nitrite: 1.0 (the coloring doesn't really make sense to me, it gets more redder as there is more nitrite? I have the darkest purple, but not really red, so maybe 1.0?)

Nitrate: ~ 5.0 (close to orange)

Ammonia under 1 is still ammonia. And he's been exposed to it for quite some time. It will heal. What kind of nitrite readings are you getting?

Also, the black is getting worse and it seems to be spreading throughout his wen.

Glad those numbers were from before the change. :)

Is only one fish showing the black? It should go away with time but as long as you're still getting ammonia it may be present.

Yes, this is the only fish, which is why I find it kind of strange. It seems it spreads more and more each day, and especially faster on the wen.

Glad those numbers were from before the change. :)

Is only one fish showing the black? It should go away with time but as long as you're still getting ammonia it may be present.

Lisa I finally got a stand for the 125g, its been sitting in the garage "running" with an undergravel filter. I know that's probably not good enough but you said since I am overstocked I could just put the 2 filters i have now on the 120g and it should be fine? I plan on buying another filter. Should i just keep them in the 75 and wait til the other one is completely cycled or should i just add these filters for now and add that new filter when i get it? Right now the filters i have are for 70g and 30-60g. I also have a sponge filter on one of my air stones.

The one fish showing ammonia burns is getting worse by the day, I am really concerned

I would move them to the 125 along with both filters. Then add an AC 110 as soon as you can or a good size canister.

What are your water parameters. Can we get some new pics of the fish with the black? :idont

Parameter before change was 0/>1.0/~5.0

After the change was 0/0/0

And there are spots where there are slight black that doesn't really show well on the video. The wen have little black spots all over.

and water before water change tonight was