Question about cycling, products, PH, and Ammonia. Please help!

How cold is your tap water?

She may be just resting. Is she hovering in the water or is she sitting on the bottom? Fish do rest. I see mine do it often, especially at night.

From the drinking faucet that I've been using (that water is filtered and has lower, close to 0 ammonia read so I have been using this) is a bit cold, i took temperature and its under 64. I have been adding hot regular tap water along with this so usually it iwll be about 66 and let the heater do the rest. Should I add more hot water?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did another water change. Ammonia is at around 0.25-0.5 range. Nitrite has not shown up since showing up for that little bit of color last time. I am going back to Houston for 1 day and having a friend feed and do the water change.

Should I get some water from my parents' filter media in Houston? It will be approximately 3 hours drive back.

If not, just going to continue with twice a day WCs

Edited by WeeBeyPrice

So you got a water changer? Is it saving you time or just effort? I'm considering getting one but only if it reduces time spent on the process. Carrying buckets around is not a big deal to me, so I won't get one if it only saves effort. I would also recommend not adding anything to adjust the pH or help with the cycle, as others have said. A pH of 8 is fine for goldfish. Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

?

Well previously, i had to use vacuum to vacuum out all of the water into buckets, and carry those out one by one. Then get water from hose to bucket and carry those to the tank one by one.

?

So the water changer definitely saves time AND effort. I don't know what your currently doing in terms of water change so I can't really say. I can say that, it's definitely made water change more enjoyable for me (and I actually do not mind doing daily WCs now)

Yes, I have always done the same thing with the buckets and gravel vac. And I have 3 tanks totaling over 115 gallons! I've never really thought of it as being much of a hassle. But I'm moving soon and now I think I'll get one.

Also, my mom will be living with me in my condo and she is super paranoid about water spillage. She doesn't "get" the whole fish thing, so the more I can do to ease her concerns the better!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

So you got a water changer? Is it saving you time or just effort? I'm considering getting one but only if it reduces time spent on the process. Carrying buckets around is not a big deal to me, so I won't get one if it only saves effort. I would also recommend not adding anything to adjust the pH or help with the cycle, as others have said. A pH of 8 is fine for goldfish. Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Well previously, i had to use vacuum to vacuum out all of the water into buckets, and carry those out one by one. Then get water from hose to bucket and carry those to the tank one by one.

So the water changer definitely saves time AND effort. I don't know what your currently doing in terms of water change so I can't really say. I can say that, it's definitely made water change more enjoyable for me (and I actually do not mind doing daily WCs now)

Yes, I have always done the same thing with the buckets and gravel vac. And I have 3 tanks totaling over 115 gallons! I've never really thought of it as being much of a hassle. But I'm moving soon and now I think I'll get one.

Also, my mom will be living with me in my condo and she is super paranoid about water spillage. She doesn't "get" the whole fish thing, so the more I can do to ease her concerns the better!

WOW, respect to you!

But yea, I would definitely recommend. If you already have vaccum I recommend you just get a tube and the adapter instead of the whole set (which is like 20 bucks more and includes another vacuum.

?

?

?

?

?

?

WOW, respect to you!

?

But yea, I would definitely recommend. If you already have vaccum I recommend you just get a tube and the adapter instead of the whole set (which is like 20 bucks more and includes another vacuum.

Thanks! I didn't know you could just buy the tube. I've just been having a hard time justifying the cost, but it sounds like it's worth it.

What is ammonia reading before your WC?

Around 2 pre change, a little above 0.5 post change

I have to leave the house for a day and will go back around the same time tomorrow. Asked a friend to do a partial change for me during the day just in case.

Edited by WeeBeyPrice

Sounds good. And he's adding 3 capfuls of Prime? :idont. :D

Hopefully, I wrote him a detailed check list of everything. 3 caps of Prime was actually written in all caps with exclamation marks before and after the sentence.

I will be back in the afternoon to do another one.

Hard to tell from the pic but a WC will be needed whether it's 2 or 4. Since you have a shiny new Python, I'd do a big fat WC (80-90%). You can leave the fish in the tank. Suction out lots of water, be sure to hold the Python in your hand at all times. If you would like to let it simply suck water out, please cover it with something so a fish doesn't get sucked in (been there, done that. Not fun :( ). I cover mine with a mesh media bag, some people use the mesh covering from a bag of oranges rubber banded onto the Python. Just don't leave it ahnging in the tank unattended.

When you fill it back up, put enough Prime in for the entire 75 gallons even though you didn't change 100%. Actually since you are cycling, I would suggest using twice the amount of Prime suggested. My bottle says 1 capful for 50 gallons so I would use 3 capfuls. :D

You will absolutely love that Python. Almost as much as you love your fish. :rofl3

Let us know if you have any questions about the Python or whatever. :D

Just to make sure, its okay that i drain the water out, put in PRIME, then start the water back in? Or should I treat water first? I've been putting Prime in before I start the water in to the tank.

Anyways, fishies were really excited to see me back today, which is really good. Gonna keep up with monitoring and WCs.

Yep, drain, add Prime, then refill. :)

Of course they were happy to see you. You're the food guy! :feedme:

:rofl

So a bit strange this morning.

I got new testing kits because I ran out of my old ones (API strips). I bought the API water kit master and Ammonia was at 2+ (very green), and 0 Nitrite, but it was a really dark yellow color for Nitrate. Not quite the orange color for 5.0ppm but definitely a lot darker than the yellow for 0.

Tested my tap. First time, tested out of the drinking faucet and the water came out orange, worse than the tank water.

Second time, I tested out of my faucet, it is clear yellow - 0 ppm.

Don't know what the problem is, maybe I put too many drops in the first test. Will use water from regular faucet instead of drinking faucet today. This also makes it easier to get to a better temperature. Will do another test & WC in the afternoon to update results.

Thanks Lisa, for being so patient and being such a big help, can't thank you enough.

No problem. :)

Could you please also test your tap (whatever you'll be using for WCs) for ammonia, nitrites and pH. :)

Tap water was @ 0.25 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 0 nitrate

10 minutes (also after feeding) after water change i was getting 0.25-0.5ish ammonia, 0 nitrite, darker yellow nitrate (definitely not the clear yellow like before)

Edited by WeeBeyPrice

Lookin good. :D

Pre-change today was 2 / 0 / medium yellow

Post change is 0.5 / 0 / medium yellow

Started seeing a little bit of black on the fins and head of my Ryukin. Was wondering if its ammonia burn or color change from color enhancing food (NLS). I've seen this happen to my mom's Ryukin (also on NLS) and it got quite a bit of black on its fins and even had a mustache like blackness around the mouth and her tank was 0/0/0.

It's hard to say. Black is a very unstable color and tends to go away, not increase. But it's not unheard of. Having said that, they have been exposed to high amounts of ammonia so it could be burns. They will heal if that is the case.

If I were you I would try and keep ammonia under 1.

It's hard to say. Black is a very unstable color and tends to go away, not increase. But it's not unheard of. Having said that, they have been exposed to high amounts of ammonia so it could be burns. They will heal if that is the case.

If I were you I would try and keep ammonia under 1.

Will do, I was out of the house today to teach some private classes so only did 1 water change today =(. Been doing 2 a day otherwise and usually reading is under 2. It's very small and could barely be seen in pictures, so I hope my tank cycles eventually and it goes away.

Edited by WeeBeyPrice