• * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0
  • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
  • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7
  • Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? JBL Combiset, drops
  • * Water temperature? 23C/73F
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 55 UK gallons. Has been running 18 months
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Fluval U4 1000l/h (internal) External filter 2000l/h
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? Once a week, 40%
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Last week, 40%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 3 Fish, all Orandas, one 6" one 5" one 4"
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Just a chlorine control in new water
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Either shelled peas or frozen blood worms, sometimes they have an algae window treat.
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? No
  • * Any medications added to the tank? Nothing
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? She is fine in herself but she has started pineconing, I have lost 3 fish over the Christmas holiday and so I have been checking for illness a lot.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?
  • Pepper does sit on the bottom quite a bit but she always has in the 5 months I've had her, then she'll swim around for 10 minutes and then return but she always returns to her corner near the front. She'll eat anything you put in the tank and even nips my hand when I put algae window treats on the tank.

I only noticed her pineconing when I came home from work today, with losing other fish a couple of weeks ago I was very worried so I've put her in a 10 gallon QT tank. She seems fine and is swimming around loads trying to find things to eat but she is pineconing a little so that's why I've moved her.

She weighs 90 grams, I weighed her because I got asked to with my last fish to work out how many metro meds to give him.

I've taken some pictures so you can see how she is pineconing.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w256/HondaLad1987/DSC00387.jpg

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w256/HondaLad1987/DSC00386.jpg

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w256/HondaLad1987/DSC00389.jpg

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w256/HondaLad1987/DSC00390.jpg

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w256/HondaLad1987/DSC00388.jpg

Pretty fish! I hope she makes a quick recovery. Just let me know if you need anymore metro meds. :thumbs: Good luck.

Thanks, Becs. I think she is pretty too :)

I was just about to message you and ask if I could buy some from you.

I'm sorry that your oranda is sick, I hope she has a speedy recovery! :)

Thank you, Lis. :)

Also, I haven't put any filter media in the filter this time, just white filter fluff. Is this ok? I thought as I'd be doing 100% water changes it probably isn't needed. If I do need some though I can put some in easily.

You don't need filter media in the filter with 100% daily WCs.

Any idea why your nitrites are 1 in the main tank? I would do a 50% WC to get that down and then another one perhaps a few hours later. I wouldn't go larger than 50% because of the large difference in your tank vs tap pH.

Ok thanks for confirming about the filter media.

I don't understand why it is high, I was surprised by that reading. I did a 50% water change after I'd set up the QT tank as I used a bit of water from the main tank to set it up but only about 20% so I could get the nitrites down in the QT tank too. I'll check the readings again later on in the main tank.

Is there anything I can do to get whatever is causing this problem out of the main tank? I'm still an amateur and don't really understand why they keep getting sick.

Hello everyone, Pepper is looking much better she is no longer pineconing and only has a couple of scales lifted although I can't remember if her scales have always looked like that but from above she looks smooth again.

I had dropped her dose down from 30 tablets a day to 15 as I was running out of Metromeds but Becs has very kindly sent me some more so should I put her back on the 30 pellets a day or slowly drop her off them? Also, when is it safe to put her back in the main tank? It's no problem her being in the QT tank but I'm sure she'd rather be back with her friends in the main tank.

Continue at the full dose until you've completed the full 14 days minimum treatment.

While she is still being medicated with the food she should be kept in quarantine. After she's finished treatment and has recovered she can be reintroduced :)

Hello everyone, Pepper is looking much better she is no longer pineconing and only has a couple of scales lifted although I can't remember if her scales have always looked like that but from above she looks smooth again.

?

I had dropped her dose down from 30 tablets a day to 15 as I was running out of Metromeds but Becs has very kindly sent me some more so should I put her back on the 30 pellets a day or slowly drop her off them? Also, when is it safe to put her back in the main tank? It's no problem her being in the QT tank but I'm sure she'd rather be back with her friends in the main tank.

Please do not drop down the dose. I am pretty sure I calculated enough for the duration of the treatment, but it was good that you asked for a little more.

When you drop down the dose, you risk making the medication ineffective, allowing for the infection to come back. This is true with all other animals as well, including us.

Please do not drop down the dose. I am pretty sure I calculated enough for the duration of the treatment, but it was good that you asked for a little more.

When you drop down the dose, you risk making the medication ineffective, allowing for the infection to come back. This is true with all other animals as well, including us.

Should I of kept the does the same and then not given her any when I had ran out? I thought maybe it would be better to at least have some dose in her than none at all for a couple of days. I didn't know this might make the medication ineffective.

What a beautiful Oranda you have. I am glad she is doing better. May she be 100% better by the time the treatment is all completed.

Thank you very much :)

Actually, it would be better to use the full dose until you run out, rather than decrease the dose and essentially rendering the meds ineffective right away.

Anyway, I am pretty sure I calculated for there to have been enough to cover 14-18 days. I didn't ask for a lot extras, because the meds is not easily obtained. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone. Pepper is all better and back with her friends in the main tank. I'd just like to say thanks to everyone who helped me and Pepper out such as dnalex. Also a massive thank you to Becs, without you Pepper wouldn't be swimming around happily. I can't thank you enough. :)