My tank

Hi all,
I am pretty new at this and tank is 75 gallon (pre-owned). Tested the water and read 0 for ammonia, nitrite, and slight color for nitrate so I say 10? I cycled the tank for a week but was told that's not enough so I am closely monitoring ammonia and I did 100% water change yesterday and today.
Got two filters (aquaclear 50 from original owner he said they used to own only 2-3 tetras so didn't get a large filter so I added aqua tech 30-60)in there, current seem maybe a bit strong so I may take one out, have not decided yet.
Currently got another tank in cycle for once these guys get a bit bigger. Anyways, here are the guys.
rYsFM.jpg
6lKJO.jpg
UXfat.jpg
AIEac.jpg
Strange angle...his tale doesn't look like that
0yWKG.jpg
9JXI.jpg
Lhy5.jpg

Nice tank and fish! :)

You are actually underfiltered with the two filters you have, so I definitely would use both.

Why do you think there is too much current?

Aquaclear is actually a 70 oopsies. Listened to the previous owner without checking again, I just looked and it said Aquatech 70 on the cover. The tank is really clean for the most part until I feed them the frozen blood worms. And it is more of a wide tank than long one if you know what I'm saying. When they swim to the top because the tank isn't too long, the fish kind of get pushed away a little bit. I think this set up is good though, only a pet co person told me I shouldn't bother using two filters unless its really dirty and that it might mess up their dorsal fins.

Nice Goldfish! The gravel of the tank is just cool!

:teehee Really? I really didn't like the gravel and since one of my guys almost choked on it, I decided to take most of it out only kept someini to hold down the plants.

• Supporter

I would take the gravel out fir the very reason you stated it can be hazardous to the goldfish. I have and love sand if you want to consider that.

As for the filters I have two AC 110s on my 80 and the fish seem to do fine. Like you said if they swim right into the waterfall they will get pushed away alittle but I have never saw any damage due to it so I havr no idea where he would have got that.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Oh goodness all your fish are so pretty!!! I really love that white oranda. :heart

He is actually the first one. So the story goes, I was going to my parents' home on Thanksgiving and I wanted to surprise them with a nice gift so I looked around Austin. I saw this little guy at Petsmartand wanted to get him but passed because my parents like different types of fishes and they got quite a few Orandas already so I opted to get a calico ranchu for them. Anyways, they had a bad outbreak of ick from another fish and the Ranchu and many of their other fish died. This is what made me research and help them be knowledgeable.

I went home again for X-mas and NYE and decided I am ready to start a tank of my own. When I got everything set up and running, I began going on my hunt to find fishes. I remembered this guy and how I really liked his lemon head when I saw him, and I thought "it's been 2.5 months he's probably gone". So I decided that if he was still there I would get him no questions asked, even if he was sick I felt I have acquired enough knowledge and I would treat him and give him a good life.

Turns out, he was!!! I got the Petsmart employee to get him right away and they were like "Awwwww this is our favorite fish" and they told me they were glad he finally has a home because all the other customers said he was "ugly" and no one wanted him. Anyways, you know what they say about one man's trash. Just thought I share this little anecdote.

I forgot to say you have some nice fish there. :) they will compliment eachother nicely I thick :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

The smaller orange one, the orange one with black trims and the chocolate/copper one were actually originally from the same tank as well. I really liked the way they looked (head growth, body shape, and fins) so I made an impulse buy and got all 3.

Edited by WeeBeyPrice

The pet store employee that told you those 'factoids' doesn't sound very knowledgeable on goldfish. I'd be hesitant to take their advice in the future. :( Unfortunately it is the case with many pet store employees. I hope you find a knowledgeable local place in your area. :) You've already found a great online resource!

Welcome! You have such beautiful fish. :heart

Beautiful fish! I love the oranda with the blacked tipped dorsal fin.

I have several filters on my tank. I have the water level quite high so the the water flow is not too strong. You can try that. My understanding is that for your 75 gallon tank you need filter flow rates that add up to 750 gh. I seem to remember 10x the tank size is what's needed for goldfish.

The pet store employee that told you those 'factoids' doesn't sound very knowledgeable on goldfish. I'd be hesitant to take their advice in the future. :( Unfortunately it is the case with many pet store employees. I hope you find a knowledgeable local place in your area. :) You've already found a great online resource!

Welcome! You have such beautiful fish. :heart

Thank you!!

Yea, I figured as much. I have been lurking on this forum and also gfk and read a lot of information. Just wanted to double check with you guys.

Unfortunately, I have yet to find a good lfs in my city. It seems most lfs here are more interested in their salt water and tropical selection and their goldfish tanks are usually neglected. I pretty much went on a city wide hunt when I gathered these little guys and a couple of the Petsmart I went actually had the best maintained tanks and best quality fish which is a drastic contrast to what I am used to in Houston.

I have several filters on my tank. I have the water level quite high so the the water flow is not too strong. You can try that. My understanding is that for your 75 gallon tank you need filter flow rates that add up to 750 gh. I seem to remember 10x the tank size is what's needed for goldfish.

Thank you!!!

I just purchased a Tetra Whisper 45-70 and probably will use that instead of the Aqua clear 30-60. I will probably add the Aqua clear 30-60 to the 40 gallon breeder tank that I am cycling.

Question: if I add internal filter or some other filtering of some sort to bring up gph, can i have another fish in here? I know its kind of pushing it but the little Ryukin is so lonely with all the orandas :blink:

So turns out the 1 week of cycling is indeed not enough, Ammonia level climbed to close to 4 today. I am going to do a partial water change.

I was told to not add too many chemicals to the water since its a new tank but I have seen some products that clears Ammonia and also add in bacterial which helps speed up cycling. Should I add anything else or do continue with just water changes?

So turns out the 1 week of cycling is indeed not enough, Ammonia level climbed to close to 4 today. I am going to do a partial water change.

I was told to not add too many chemicals to the water since its a new tank but I have seen some products that clears Ammonia and also add in bacterial which helps speed up cycling. Should I add anything else or do continue with just water changes?

I thought one week was sufficient, too. :doh11: That's why I found Koko's so I guess it's not all bad that I was told otherwise? :teehee

I think it would be a good idea for you start a thread in the Water Quality section, that way all questions and info are more organized. It will be helpful too if you explain your tank setup there, even though it's here, just so everything's in one place. :)

Depending on whether your pH is in close range to the tap, you'll need to do as big a water change as you can. What conditioner do you use? Prime and Amquel+ are what's usually used here. If your ammonia and nitrites do climb up they will keep some of it nontoxic for up to 24 hours. I can't answer about adding bacteria - mixed reviews all on that type of thing and I just don't know enough to say. :P

Thank you!!!

I just purchased a Tetra Whisper 45-70 and probably will use that instead of the Aqua clear 30-60. I will probably add the Aqua clear 30-60 to the 40 gallon breeder tank that I am cycling.

Question: if I add internal filter or some other filtering of some sort to bring up gph, can i have another fish in here? I know its kind of pushing it but the little Ryukin is so lonely with all the orandas :blink:

The general rule is 15 gallons per fancy goldfish. I can't remember how many fish you have in the 75 gallon tank. You could add another fish but if it is stretching the general rule, you risk stress on the fishies due to additional waste and not enough room. Now if they are small then maybe it would be okay. Just be prepared to make changes when they get big. In any case be vigilant in doing water changes to keep optimal water parameters. Water changes from 50-80% seem to be the norm here.

Sounds like your 75 tank is still cycling. Mine is too. I'm changing 60% water every other day. I'm using seachem prime for water conditioning. Very good stuff.

Thank you!!!

The general rule is 15 gallons per fancy goldfish. I can't remember how many fish you have in the 75 gallon tank. You could add another fish but if it is stretching the general rule, you risk stress on the fishies due to additional waste and not enough room. Now if they are small then maybe it would be okay. Just be prepared to make changes when they get big. In any case be vigilant in doing water changes to keep optimal water parameters. Water changes from 50-80% seem to be the norm here.

Sounds like your 75 tank is still cycling. Mine is too. I'm changing 60% water every other day. I'm using seachem prime for water conditioning. Very good stuff.

I second jenzaar's recommendation to start a thread in Water Quality.

Thanks guys I will start a thread in the water quality section.

But I am using StressCoat and PH Right by API to treat the tap water. Heard good things about Prime, will definitely purchase that

Your fish look wonderful! :D I'm a sucker for Orandas :P

As for the current I thought the same thing when I switched over to the Fluval FX5. This thing puts out a lot of water :o For awhile I worried about them not being able to handle it but given time they all grew stronger and have no troubles now! I did dampen it for a little but hated how it looked...

you have some Amazing Oranda's :) And I look forward to seeing your complete setup :)

by the way I have 2 marineland emperior 400's on my 55 gallon and no problemo with dorsal damage ;) Goldfish can be messy and I prefer clean water ;)

What lovely fish to start out with!

It certainly sounds like you are taking your new responsibility seriously.

I'm a bit too new to the hobby to be giving out advice, but....

I've had good luck with a few drops of Fresh Trace OR Pond Perfect (you'll have to do the math for your water volume) in kickstarting my bacterial cycle with fish in it.

I added it to the filter media, not the tank.