Fish flopped out of net and fell on floor while changing water

WeeBeyPrice

Like the title says, I was changing water and the fish was flopping really fast in the net, my hand wasn't very steady and turned the net and he fell on the floor. I put him back into the tank and put some stress coat on him. He seems to be swimming fine but I feel so bad and I am so worried that he might be hurt.

Is there something else I could do?

GLad to see you're a caring papa ! I'm sure someone with more knowledge will help you out. As far as I know you just have to wait and keep an eye on. One thing I hear all the time is keep your water clean clean clean...including checking water parameters. You would be surprised how clean looking water is not necessarily "good" water for fish. You'll get there. Have you tested your tap water? If you have ammonia in it you will need water treatment that deals with that. I use Amquel Plus that is available at the large pet chains. I order it online at Foster and Smith. Much cheaper....free shipping if you spend 50.00.

Like the title says, I was changing water and the fish was flopping really fast in the net, my hand wasn't very steady and turned the net and he fell on the floor. I put him back into the tank and put some stress coat on him. He seems to be swimming fine but I feel so bad and I am so worried that he might be hurt.

?

Is there something else I could do??

Firstly, I think that there is not much more you can do, other than perhaps keeping the tank light off for the day, so that he can rest.

I do have a few questions though:

- why was he in the net? You actually don't have to remove the fish when you change the water.

- how much water are you changing? How often?

- what do you mean that you put Stresscoat on him?

I think he will be OK, just a little spooked.

was it a hard surface floor? what type of goldie is it? are the eyes ok? any bleeding or deep scratches that might need some help to heal?

It's wooden floor, it's a lion-head oranda. I didn't see anything noticeably wrong with him.

Is there something else I could do?

Firstly, I think that there is not much more you can do, other than perhaps keeping the tank light off for the day, so that he can rest.

I do have a few questions though:

- why was he in the net? You actually don't have to remove the fish when you change the water.

- how much water are you changing? How often?

- what do you mean that you put Stresscoat on him?

I think he will be OK, just a little spooked.

I was doing 100% water change because it is a relatively new tank and I am trying to groom the young guys. I fed them frozen blood worms and the water was really cloudy. Maybe this is not the way to go but I am still new at this so any input would be welcomed.

Stress coat part - pretty sure this might be wrong but when one of my parents' fish got anchor worm on it the store clerk (LFS in Houston) showed us you can just pull it off with a tweezer (we got the fish from them, and when we went back, at least 1+ of their fish had anchor worms so she was happy to demonstrate on one of theirs) and then apply stress coat on the wound with a cotton swab. When I dropped him yesterday, I panicked and thought his coating might have been worn off on the floor and there might hav been bacteria, so I did that procedure. EEK. If this is wrong, I will stop using this procedure in the future.

UPDATE: got up this morning and he seems A-okay still. Swimming around with rest of his buddies. For the most part I think he is fine but will keep a close eye on him. For

I'm glad he seems fine this morning! I've dropped my lionhead on the kitchen floor. :peeka most of us have made a mistake like that before.

Have you treated your fish for parasites? If not, I would read some of the pinned articles on how and why we use Prazi. :) If memory serves me correctly it doesn't work against anchorworms but it is a super important and helpful thing we can do for our finned friends. Good luck! :)

Just a quick tip. You don't need to take fish out of the tank when doing water changes. Leave enough in the tank to cover the fish. This means more of a 90% water change but should work just as well as 100% with less stress. They get use to it and it saves them the stress of being netted.

Hope he recovers just fine.

Good luck

• Supporter

Just a quick tip. You don't need to take fish out of the tank when doing water changes. Leave enough in the tank to cover the fish. This means more of a 90% water change but should work just as well as 100% with less stress. They get use to it and it saves them the stress of being netted.

Hope he recovers just fine.

Good luck

^ this as well as if you ever need to transport them, all you need to do is catch them in a tub. the little water that is in there is good to go back with them when you add them back. you can use the net to help them into the tub and then raise the tub to the surface. good to hear your fish has picked up :)

I just wanted to say that I am glad to hear he is doing fine :) I dropped my baby Tele on the floor in my parent's basement. He is doing fine two years later ;)

Actually saw your video yesterday, the one where you explained your tank. Love your awesome set up and I am thinking about keeping these guys together even after the get bigger.

Don't feel bad, I dropped Maruko on the floor a couple of years ago. She really smacked it but was okay. I felt terrible! But, she has never shown any signs of harm from the fall. I would use your hands in the future rather than a net. Close both hands around the fish so he can't fall.

Don't you just love this forum!! I do. So many helpful goldfish caretakers! :)

Yea!!! Fast response in case I have any problems, love it!

Don't feel bad, I dropped Maruko on the floor a couple of years ago. She really smacked it but was okay. I felt terrible! But, she has never shown any signs of harm from the fall. I would use your hands in the future rather than a net. Close both hands around the fish so he can't fall.

Worst part is, he was one of the least shy fish around me, he would swim up to my hand while others are still darting away. If i sit in front of the tank, he would come over to that side as if saying hi. That's why I feel so guilty =(

I agree with those who said not to remove the fish when doing water changes, and wanted to add that when transportation is required, there are better ways to do this than with a net. The best ways are to use a container (think Tupperware) or use both hands in a gentle cupping motion. Once out of the water, my fish go limp in my hands, which makes transportation really easy.

The main reason nets are not recommended is because they can damage delicate fins.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Edited by *Amanda*

Worst part is, he was one of the least shy fish around me, he would swim up to my hand while others are still darting away. If i sit in front of the tank, he would come over to that side as if saying hi. That's why I feel so guilty =(

Don't worry, he'll come around soon enough! He's just a bit traumatized right now, and scared.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I dropped on of my fish on the table once while weighing them not as far down but still scared me and the fish. She is fine now but was jumpy for a couple days. Your fish will be friendly again just needs time. :)

Also, just so you know, using a net will actually strip them of more slime coat then using your hands. I thought you had to use a net when I first started till I learned that from here! :)

The best way to remove your fish is to use the net to herd it into a bowl, tub, small pail, etc. (transparent is easiest). Then just take the fish out in the container of water. Fancy goldfish can also be caught in the hands.

It is very difficult to hold a sizable long-bodied goldfish in your hands without squeezing, since they are streamlined, slippery, and active. They are also smart and agile enough that they can be hard to "herd" into a pail. I prefer a net for these.

I am so sorry this happened! While it can be a scary situation, it sounds like he's going okay and you're one very loving fish parent. :D

Sorry you had such a scare! Unfortunately no matter how careful we are, accidents always still happen every now and then. Sounds like you've gotten lots of good advice - I just wanted to join the chorus in saying that the little guy is lucky to have someone working so hard to keep him healthy and happy!