Need help choosing the right diet for our fish or is what I'm feeding good enough

andry6

Hello there!

Wow! I haven't been on here in quite some time! Good news, though, all is well over here! :nana

We have now had our little guys (or girls...not quite sure) for almost 8 months with a beautifully cycled tank (thanks to fantailfan1...can't thank her enough!). :thanks

Anyway, we have 1 (41/2") calico fantail and 1 (5") red capped oranda (who lost the red in it's cap and turned completely white!) Both have doubled in size in the 8 months that we've had them! (30 gallon tank with 2 filters - total filtration 345 gph)

So, here's what I've been feeding them to date:

Marineland color enhancing goldfish flakes and alternating with wardley's slow sinking goldfish crumbles. On occasion, Omega One freeze dried blood worms (for "treat" purposes) and peas to keep them "regular". :teehee

Recently, I noticed the fantail was having some troubles and seemed constipated. One day he was really struggling to swim straight and the poor little guy was frantically swimming to try to keep his tail from going straight up and even flipping over at times. I fed him some peas and within hours he was back to normal. (the oranda seemed totally fine and they both consume what seems to be equal amounts of food) Then, I withheld food for 2 days and switched to Api goldfish sinking pellets.(which states that it promotes color and digestion - reason why I chose it) These sink immediately and the fish are not gulping air at the top when they eat. Even though the other food sank, some would always float on the top and they would eat those first.

I've been feeding them the new food for a couple of weeks with no problems, except the white oranda is now turning yellow! His cap (which was red, turned white...is now yellow) and his fins and tail are turning yellow closest to his body.

I'm assuming this is from the food, but the other color enhancing food did not do that.

My question is, even though my fish seem to be doing well on this food (minus the color change) is this diet good enough?Pellets/Peas/freeze dried blood worms (sparingly)

I'm still so new at this whole fish thing that I want to make sure that what I'm doing is right.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

In regard to the blood worms, I chose the freeze dried over the frozen because the container stated "as nutritious as live food without the risk of bacteria or parasites". I guess since I'm still so new to this, I was being overly cautious...

In regard to the blood worms, I chose the freeze dried over the frozen because the container stated "as nutritious as live food without the risk of bacteria or parasites". I guess since I'm still so new to this, I was being overly cautious...

That is quite true, what they said, BUT what they didn't say is that because it's dehydrated food, this type of food can cause havoc for goldfish. For other types of fish, freeze dried may not be a problem, but for many fancies, this can become a huge problem.

It is true that some frozen foods can possibly carry problems, and tubifex is one type that is supposed to be notorious for that. For bloodworms, the major ones appear to be fine, and people have been feeding them for years without issues. Moreover, a couple of companies, including Hikari, purport to undertake a 3 step sterilization that helps to prevent this issues. :)

Food that sinks completely is your best bet :) flakes and floating pellets seem to cause problems in fancies. Frozen as people have said is the bomb and much better for the fish. I love Hikari's brand of bloodworms and Brine shrimp! Other than that the list up there is a good one!! :D

I'm glad things are going well!

:hi Nice to see you again. :D

Glad to hear things are going well. If you get time post some pics. :teehee

Here is our calico fantail "One Eyed Willie" (see his patch?!) :teehee The first picture was several months ago - notice the color change in his tail!

b68f810b-4b0d-40d7-9582-50d9dd74a51e_zps2b194a0f-a984-48f8-bf91-7678a29def38_zpsd7a1a886-a1b5-44b1-83fe-2e6bff26c5c6_zps

and here is our white oranda "Shipwreck" (no more red cap :no: - again, the first pic is from several months ago) See how he's turning yellow?? Do you think it's caused by the "color enhancing" food I've been feeding him? Is it possible for him to turn back to white if I stop that type of food?

4e1d1f97-4763-4b1b-92b3-7330530241c8_zps79a8017a-dda6-426b-82c9-8b382545dbee_zps

:hi ?Nice to see you again. ? :D

?

Glad to hear things are going well. ?If you get time post some pics. ? :teehee

?

Here is our calico fantail "One Eyed Willie" (see his patch?!) :teehee?The first picture was several months ago - notice the color change in his tail!

?

?Posted Image??????? ?Posted Image? Posted Image

?

and here is our white oranda "Shipwreck" (no more red cap :no:?- again, the first pic is from several months ago) See how he's turning yellow??? Do you think it's caused by the "color enhancing" food I've been feeding him? Is it possible for him to turn back to white if I stop that type of food?

Posted Image??????? ? Posted Image

What cute fish!

Color changes happen. It could be the food... I know that my fish Basil lost her orange only when being fed progold. Some colors are also more stable than others. Black is probably one of the least stable for example. Color is also effected by genetics so it could be that eventually your fish would have lost his red cap anyways :idont

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

It is the food that caused the yellowing. The pattern of yellowing (at the "tips") is just what you see on fish that are eating lots of algae, and the color enhancing material is from algae.

The food wasn't the cause of losing red. That just happens in some fish. I watched one fish change from 50% red to all white in two weeks.

Thanks for all of the great info! Looks like I have some experimenting to do with some new foods for these little guys. :feedme

And I think I'll get rid of the freeze dried blood worms and get some frozen :thumbs:

I personally prefer Omega One Goldfish pellets. I personally have used it since my goldies were small and they have grown huge and healthy. They sink to the bottom if my goldies miss some before it hits the ground. :)