Fish rooms

goldiegeek

I have a fish room...it only has the big tank though since it takes up the whole room lol I had all my tanks in my parent's basement and it was really nice for the work that had to be done but I never really went down there and saw them. And it is easy to forget about them on a really busy day :(

I gotta ask how big your tank is lol.

180 gallons. Six feet by two feet by two feet. The room it is in is 8 feet by 8 feet lol

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a fish room...it only has the big tank though since it takes up the whole room lol I had all my tanks in my parent's basement and it was really nice for the work that had to be done but I never really went down there and saw them. And it is easy to forget about them on a really busy day :(

I gotta ask how big your tank is lol.

180 gallons. Six feet by two feet by two feet. The room it is in is 8 feet by 8 feet lol

That sounds awesome!!!!! I would LOVE to see a photo of the room:) That two foot width sounds gorgeous...how many fishies have you got? My dream is to have a tank big enough to hold all of the fish. Like an above ground indoor pond with glass walls lol.

Having a fish room sounds wonderful if your going to be in that room a lot and it sounds like you are. That will be neat to be able to see all of your tanks and enjoy them all at once then. And it does seem like the maintenance will be so much faster/easier also having everything in one room.

I personally only have two tanks that are in my living room. I love having them in there because I spend time in there and in my kitchen where I can see one of them also from an angle.

Having a fish room sounds wonderful if your going to be in that room a lot and it sounds like you are. That will be neat to be able to see all of your tanks and enjoy them all at once then. And it does seem like the maintenance will be so much faster/easier also having everything in one room.

I personally only have two tanks that are in my living room. I love having them in there because I spend time in there and in my kitchen where I can see one of them also from an angle.

That sounds perfect.

I have, currently, seven tanks and a qt.

I read this and got a little envious. Just a little, mind you. :rofl

I've sort of got a fish room. That's not what it technically is (it's really my livingroom/living area) but it's where all four of my tanks are. About half of it is devoted to aquariums. I have my 75 and 29 gallons next to each other, and across from them is the 40 gallon breeder. They're near a window, too, so they get some natural sunlight each day.

I have, currently, seven tanks and a qt.

I read this and got a little envious. Just a little, mind you. :rofl

I've sort of got a fish room. That's not what it technically is (it's really my livingroom/living area) but it's where all four of my tanks are. About half of it is devoted to aquariums. I have my 75 and 29 gallons next to each other, and across from them is the 40 gallon breeder. They're near a window, too, so they get some natural sunlight each day.

So. much. work. Some days I envy those with a couple of tanks lol.

It must make maintenance so much quicker with them all in the livingroom.

Kittycat: that totally qualifies as a fish room lol.

I am now down to tanks in the bed room and living room. The 10 gallon is to far away for my python to reach so well have to do buckets. But it being that small think I can manage. And it only needs every couple weeks 20% water changes cause of plants and only tropicals in the tank.

I am now down to tanks in the bed room and living room. The 10 gallon is to far away for my python to reach so well have to do buckets. But it being that small think I can manage. And it only needs every couple weeks 20% water changes cause of plants and only tropicals in the tank.

I bought the 50 foot python with my Big Al's points. I only have one tap (laundry tub in the basement) that it fits on. I can walk that sucker upstairs and when I do, the suction is amazing:) Still need the pump for the floor tank though.

One Big Advantage of a Fish room, is the ability top setup a central filtration system if you wanted to in the future

I'd be scared to do that. My lfs has a main filtration system and when something goes wrong, a whole wall of tanks suffers. Although I guess it's different in a home aquarium where you can qt and control everything (well, almost) that goes in to the tank. Do you have central filtration? I never really thought of this. Definitely interesting.

Our 29g and now the fry tank are both in our office. This pretty much means I get nothing productive work wise done in the office anymore! Although I love to just sit and stare at the fish all day. :rofl3 Having both tanks in the same room as well as supplies does streamline fish chores though.

Our 29g and now the fry tank are both in our office. This pretty much means I get nothing productive work wise done in the office anymore! Although I love to just sit and stare at the fish all day. :rofl3 Having both tanks in the same room as well as supplies does streamline fish chores though.

LOL! I go to check my tanks out and end up in fishy lala land. So beautuful to watch they suck you right in. My fry are in the bathroom...so hubby says he doesn't need reading material now. HAHA

One Big Advantage of a Fish room, is the ability top setup a central filtration system if you wanted to in the future

I'd be scared to do that. My lfs has a main filtration system and when something goes wrong, a whole wall of tanks suffers. Although I guess it's different in a home aquarium where you can qt and control everything (well, almost) that goes in to the tank. Do you have central filtration? I never really thought of this. Definitely interesting.

Yes and Yes. Very Scary. I had a pump go and it was very bad. I now have sponge air filter on each tank, and central filtration. It is very easy for maintenance now. Each tank can be isolated from the rest very easily if need be. I come from pond background, and the filters are nice and easy for water changes and maintenance.

Plumbing hot and cold water with a sink into your fish room would make water changes easier. You already have a drain nearby. I would also consider adding GFCI protection to your wall outlets. In a fish room you could have a single large air pump to run all your tanks' needs.

Plumbing hot and cold water with a sink into your fish room would make water changes easier. You already have a drain nearby. I would also consider adding GFCI protection to your wall outlets. In a fish room you could have a single large air pump to run all your tanks' needs.

I've got the laundry tub just ooutside the door to my office:) Single air pump would be nice, though. Would it do as good a job with surface action as powerheads do? I'm a powerhead junkie.

My bedroom is the fish room because I don't have any other practical/safe places for the tanks. :idont

I love the sound of water when I'm going to sleep. I can hear mine from my room:) I remember when I first set up the tank, I was just going to bed, lights out, lie down, then I heard what sounded like electrical bad stuff coming from the tank. Like a short, or water getting in to an outlet. I freaked out....turns out it was just the big guys moving my old river rock pebbles around. lol. I almost peed my pants.

Yes and Yes. Very Scary. I had a pump go and it was very bad. I now have sponge air filter on each tank, and central filtration. It is very easy for maintenance now. Each tank can be isolated from the rest very easily if need be. I come from pond background, and the filters are nice and easy for water changes and maintenance.

How would you go about isolating the tanks? You pond folk always come up with neat stuff:)

My bedroom is the fish room because I don't have any other practical/safe places for the tanks. :idont

I love the sound of water when I'm going to sleep. I can hear mine from my room:) I remember when I first set up the tank, I was just going to bed, lights out, lie down, then I heard what sounded like electrical bad stuff coming from the tank. Like a short, or water getting in to an outlet. I freaked out....turns out it was just the big guys moving my old river rock pebbles around. lol. I almost peed my pants.
My girls used to push the thermometer towards the walls to get my attention and because I guess they liked the sound. Thankfully they stopped doing it but I used to have to take it out every night. :rofl3

My girls used to push the thermometer towards the walls to get my attention and because I guess they liked the sound. Thankfully they stopped doing it but I used to have to take it out every night. :rofl3

haha! I love it:)

Yeah...fish room it is!!! It'll be half fish room and half my office

The floor drain is my new best friend Thanks for that. It's so cool. My floor tank only needs a pump if I have to take out lots of gunk, but they're never bad. Haven't used one since switching. I owe you one buddy!

I have a ventilation system from my old dark room (remember film?). We are setting it up in that space. It exchanges inside air for outside air. Hopefully that works. 7 fish tanks and an Axolotl tank. It's gonna rock.

We'll piece it together a little at a time over the next 6 weeks or so. I am in heaven.

If I have a leak, it'll go right down the drain! Yay!

Thanks so much to everyone for bringing up such awesome points!

I'm so glad you found the drain! It really is great isn't it! Can be quite a life saver and time saver at times! Maybe you can start a thread showing the process as well as the finished room. You can show us the tanks, filters, and of course the fish! I think everybody would be interested in that! Good luck with assembling it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk