Fish rooms

goldiegeek

Hi Guys,

Hubby and I are switching some rooms around in our house. I have, currently, seven tanks and a qt. I have three in my bedroom, three in the living room and one in the dining room. I was thinking about turning the basement office into my fish room and moving them all down. Because this would be a poop ton of work, I am wondering if the maintenance would in fact be easier. Do any of you have a "fish room"? Do you like it? Do you have pics? lol

I love the thought of having my office in a fish room lol. Sarah's happy place :rockon

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do have a fish room xD I meant to put all my tanks in there, but I ran out of room! So now I basically have the goldfish room, and the tropical room :) It does actually make maintenance easier for me, because I do the chores for each room separately. Having the tropical tanks all in one place makes it easy to fill up a couple jugs to treat with prime/flourish and top off all of them. The goldfish don't get flourish and use a hose as opposed to bucket/jug. :)

If you have a drain in your basement, you can take a hose and siphon directly into the drain. Also, some basements have hose attachments so that you can fill up the tanks without buckets! I think if you have either of these then you should do it!

I wish I had a fish room! I would think have all your fish equipment in one room would be lovely! My vote would be to do it! :)

Basement hose attachment...*drools like Homer Simpson*.

I too would love to have everything in one room. I am constantly running around trying to figure out where I left stuff. You guys bring up some awesome points. I'm feeling like I wanna do it:) The only part that I can think of that isn't so great is that I'll miss seeing them around the house:( I think I can deal. lol

Maybe go to Ikea and get a bunch of organizy stuff...I'm such a nerd.

I have a fish room...it only has the big tank though since it takes up the whole room lol I had all my tanks in my parent's basement and it was really nice for the work that had to be done but I never really went down there and saw them. And it is easy to forget about them on a really busy day :(

I love it. However, it can be a pain because I don't own a python and the hose attachment isn't temperature controlled. In the winter, I have to temperature match in buckets and pour em' in! In the summer it's great! Most basements have a drain pipe near the A/C unit, which can be great for draining directly to if you don't have to rinse filter media or anything like that.

I have a fish room...it only has the big tank though since it takes up the whole room lol I had all my tanks in my parent's basement and it was really nice for the work that had to be done but I never really went down there and saw them. And it is easy to forget about them on a really busy day :(

The bonus for me is that my basement is our "parent retreat" lol. The kids are on the top floor and we have 2 bedrooms and an office in the basement. We were going to turn one bedroom into my husband's office and the office into the fish room lol...which wuld be my office:) That's where we hang out when the kids go to bed, s I'm thinking this could be sweet. As it is, I don't see the guys in the livingroom unless I make a point of it. This could be sweet!

I love it. However, it can be a pain because I don't own a python and the hose attachment isn't temperature controlled. In the winter, I have to temperature match in buckets and pour em' in! In the summer it's great! Most basements have a drain pipe near the A/C unit, which can be great for draining directly to if you don't have to rinse filter media or anything like that.

I have a drain!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's right between the washing machine and the bathroom, YES!!!!! Hubby is checking it out tonight...I just may love you:) I have a floor tank that I have to use a powerhead on the clean. Like zero pull. This could be the solution. I have to fill with buckets because I run my water through a bakki shower before adding it to tanks (supersturated gases), so the temps thing wouldn't be an issue. To empty though, I am excited:) Thanks for the idea!

I have a big fish room...........it is occasionally referred to as my living room!! :fishtank

That must be so nice when you have guests over. I routinely make people go on a fish tour when they come over lol.

I have a drain!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's right between the washing machine and the bathroom, YES!!!!! Hubby is checking it out tonight...I just may love you:) I have a floor tank that I have to use a powerhead on the clean. Like zero pull. This could be the solution. I have to fill with buckets because I run my water through a bakki shower before adding it to tanks (supersturated gases), so the temps thing wouldn't be an issue. To empty though, I am excited:) Thanks for the idea!
Awesome! If you don't have to use the water for cleaning equipment, draining directly to the drain using a hose is soooo easy! I think you can ditch the power head option now! Glad you found the drain! Maybe this is the beginning of your new fish room! How do you empty your current tanks? Buckets or Python? Edited by Justin

Awesome! If you don't have to use the water for cleaning equipment, draining directly to the drain using a hose is soooo easy! I think you can ditch the power head option now! Glad you found the drain! Maybe this is the beginning of your new fish room! How do you empty your current tanks? Buckets or Python?

I just went from storage bin (bail with buckets) to python. I needed a 50 foot and couldn't justify spending the bucks when I wouldn't be able to use it ti fill as well...until I saved up my Big Al's points a few weeks ago:) I still need the powerhead for the floor tank, though. I am so stoked to try this out. :rockon With 7 tanks, time savers are a huge gift!

I used to have a sort of fish room and something to be thought about is that it really gets humid if it is too small and you don't have proper air circulation. I had it in an office and we got mold in it during the winter. So be careful and plan it well! Now I have only 3 large tanks left and each in a different room.

I gotta ask how big your tank is lol.

I used to have a sort of fish room and something to be thought about is that it really gets humid if it is too small and you don't have proper air circulation. I had it in an office and we got mold in it during the winter. So be careful and plan it well! Now I have only 3 large tanks left and each in a different room.

Excellent point! I'll have to check that out for sure. The risk of spillage alone is all the risk I need:)

Unless I was going to breed I would not want a fish room. I want to be able to watch my tanks. This is the reason for the past two months I have been thinking about shutting down my 35. I have to make a real effect to sit and watch it cause of the location. The one in the bedroom and living room are easy to see and I don't have to move a chair or anything to watch them.

That's also a great point! I love my living room one the best because I can see it from the dining, living and kitchen.

Unless you want to become that weirdo that just hangs out in the fish room all day :teehee

Regarding the spills I love my new house because the ground floor is cement! Yay for awesome flooring! On the other hand the second floor is all non treated wood! So one tiny spill and you have a mark! Total nightmare. Not a good floor for tanks :yikes

Unless I was going to breed I would not want a fish room. I want to be able to watch my tanks. This is the reason for the past two months I have been thinking about shutting down my 35. I have to make a real effect to sit and watch it cause of the location. The one in the bedroom and living room are easy to see and I don't have to move a chair or anything to watch them.

That's part of my reason too. Three are in the livingroom and I am never in that room...unless I'm checking out the fish. Time to change that up.

That's also a great point! I love my living room one the best because I can see it from the dining, living and kitchen.

Unless you want to become that weirdo that just hangs out in the fish room all day :teehee

Regarding the spills I love my new house because the ground floor is cement! Yay for awesome flooring! On the other hand the second floor is all non treated wood! So one tiny spill and you have a mark! Total nightmare. Not a good floor for tanks :yikes

I could see myself being that weirdo lol. Cement main floor? That's awesome! We had to reinforce our main floor where the tanks are. A huge pain but the peace of mind is worth it. Hubby had "reinforcement anxiety" when I brought up moving the fish lol. It was so much work for him. He even had to remove ceilings to get in there.... :whistle