• * Nitrite Level(Tank)0
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)0
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)0
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)8
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)7.5
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API master test kit - Liquid
      • * Water temperature? Room Temp (70F)
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 55gal for 2 years
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? tetra fs 30-60
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? bi weekly 1/4-1/3
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 7
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 1 small goldfish (2 inches long) and a larger companion (6 inches long)
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? daily flakes, occasional peas
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? nope
  • * Any medications added to the tank? nope
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? No
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Bottom Sitting

Hello, our goldfish (named Dragon) is bottom sitting today, this is likely due to constipation from overfeeding (bloating). Though I have been feeding a very small amount of food for this goldfish and its companion, perhaps it is good at getting the lions share. Regardless we will be adjusting our feeding strategy to avoid this in the future.

While Dragon was on the bottom I noticed two white bumps and photographed them, do they warrant extra attention?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nelowe/11842699184/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nelowe/11842846884/

There are two, one very apparent and another less so above, to be honest when I first saw them they looked like pimples (bacteria).

Edited by Elow007

They look like bacterial cysts to me. Typically we keep a close eye on them and they go away on their own. If you see one "burst"/white stuff start to trail off of your fish, you will want to QT him until it stops. Occasionally we will salt the water but I don't think this is necessary at this point. Just be sure to have a QT (of about 10 gallons) and an airstone on hand. :D

The bottom sitting could very well be from overfeeding. I would fast for a couple of days and see if it improves.

I would retest your nitrates and be sure to follow the instructions to a T. With an established tank, you should be getting some nitrates, especially with biweekly WCs. Could you please run the test again and see what results you get? :idont

I'm having issues with flickr, and I can't see the pics. However, I do have a few questions/comments anyway;

1. Have you ever treated for flukes or any external parasites?

2. Do you see fin clamping?

3. Is there appetite?

4. Which brand of flakes? How much are you feeding? As you may be aware, flakes and other floating foods are generally discouraged for goldfish, because they encourage gulping at the surface, and because they can contribute to digestive problems.

5. Is the fish sitting all the time, or only some of the time?

1. Have you ever treated for flukes or any external parasites? We treated with prazi when the tank was initially established

2. Do you see fin clamping? nope

3. Is there appetite? yep

4. Which brand of flakes? How much are you feeding? As you may be aware, flakes and other floating foods are generally discouraged for goldfish, because they encourage gulping at the surface, and because they can contribute to digestive problems. tetra fin gold fish flakes plus, a pinch a day, no I wasn't, but was aware its made of fish (probably) so less optimal for goldfish digestion and thus feed peas occasionally.

5. Is the fish sitting all the time, or only some of the time? Most of the time, will swim if disturbed and swam around to eat at feeding time this morning.

Now our goldfish is having some trouble staying upright, we have administered a salt bath, per instructions from this site. The fish is recovering in the main tank.

Here is a photo of the rear of the fish, I thought this looked unusual.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nelowe/11847065995/

Thanks for the picture. That helps.

The vent looks a bit inflamed, and at least to me, this looks like Dragon could be a female, actually. She may also be having issues with egg binding and internal infections. Hence, the red vent.

Could you tell me if you see her vent protruding out or in? I am going to also flag the other mods to seek their opinions.

The vent seems to be concave.

This fish passed suddenly in the night.

We monitored closely after we noticed this fish was losing the ability to keep upright. Breathing was normal, but tapered off to quick gulps by around midnight. At 1am the fish was not responding to any stimulus and there was no signs of respiration.

While handling the fish postmordem I noticed blood (red fluid) coming from around the white bumps which themselves seemed to recede back into the tissue.

This fish was promptly removed and frozen after it passed, my concern is for the other, larger, goldfish in the tank. Could there be an infectious agent?

My suspicion is the deceased fish had a body shape that likely led to digestion problems (constipation) due to the less than optimal diet. She likely developed a condition over time that led to the catastrophic events that unfolded last night. This fish was, to say the least, bloated - but did not have any pine coning or bloating around the pectorals (anterior / ventral bloat) so I do not suspect dropsy. Perhaps the salt bath came to late and induced some osmotic shock that aided the rapid deterioration of Dragon's condition.

This fish was purchased as a tank mate to a larger goldfish who we always felt was out-competing the former for food at dinner time. Its possible this led to the overfeeding by various family members. I think if we decide to purchase a tank mate again (and its likely we will, we love our fish so), we will purchase one that is similar in size or keep it in a separate tank until it is large enough to accompany "Clyde" our large fantail.

Thanks again for all your help, we always appreciate the responses we get from this forum.

I'm so sorry. :(

I would go ahead and do a couple of big back to back water changes (remove other occupants to a temporary tub if necessary).

In my experience, most if the time these issues are self-limiting and hope that this case is the same.