Sign in to follow this  
fishy

Is it possible to lower kh & raise gh?

I have recently moved and want to see if the water parameters are ok or if there are any suggestions to make it good for my fishies (2 orandas in a 55 gallon) It is a private well & a water softener is used. The ph is 7.5, ammonia/nitrate/nitrite is 0. Gh is @ 1 drop (way too low) and the kh is @16 drops (I believe that is too high). If anyone has any suggestions on how I could get the gh &kh better suited for the fish I would really really appreciate it. I have been filling 1 gallon water containers twice weekly (15 gallons total each time) then take them home to do the water change. It would be much easier for me if I was able to use the water in the house or even a half & half mix (half from work with half from home). The gh from work is 9 drops, the kh is 6 drops, ph 7.6, ammonia/nitrate/nitrite is 0. Thank you in advance for any help.

Hi Sam,

There is no evidence actually that a high GH is detrimental to goldfish, and Dr. Noga states that it's difficult for many fish to transition from hard (high Gh) to soft water, but that it's usually easier to go from low gH to high gH.

You certainly can use reverse osmosis to decrease the gH, but I don't think that you really need to, actually. As for raising the kH, that's easy. Just use baking soda. :)

I don't think the high KH will cause a problem, but you should raise the GH with something like Seachem Equilibrium or you can make your own from calcium sulfate (or chloride) and Epsom salt. I suppose you could add a weak acid to lower KH, but I wouldn't mess with it, as long as your pH is OK. Is the water softener salt based?

Thanks for the responses- the water softener is salt based. Should I get look into testing the salinity or a non-salt based something for the softener? Any idea on safe salt levels for goldfish? I will definitely look into the equilibrium. I have to do some more looking into information but so far I think a reasonable plan is using half home water & half work water-that will give me a gh of 5 & a kh of 11 and then possibly something to raise my gh a bit (equilibrium). Thanks again for the help : )

GF do well with a KH up to 300. GH can be 300 or maybe even a little more but I don't think we need to worry about it getting that high with you.

Good luck. :D

Thanks for the responses- the water softener is salt based. Should I get look into testing the salinity or a non-salt based something for the softener? Any idea on safe salt levels for goldfish? I will definitely look into the equilibrium. I have to do some more looking into information but so far I think a reasonable plan is using half home water & half work water-that will give me a gh of 5 & a kh of 11 and then possibly something to raise my gh a bit (equilibrium). Thanks again for the help : )

This would work also. :)

I also misread last night and had the situation reversed :o

That kH is quite good, so you just need to boost the gH, which definitely can be done as you had planned.

Thank you both very much for the information, I think the water changes will be much easier for me and the fish will still be okay : ) thanks again

I researched this topic as I have a salt based water softener. It only adds a minimum amount of salt, like 1/2 of .1% (this is off the top of my head but I don't have my laptop with me with to find the original thread). People on sodium restricted diets can drink this water as well.

But anyways my kh is super high, over 300 and of course my gh is 0 so I just add in Seachem Replenish which raises gh but does not raise kh.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you so much for looking into this further-I really appreciate it & the other responses too. Chemistry has never been my strong point & I was starting to get overwhelmed a bit trying to make sure I didn't jeopardize the fish in any way. I am definitely getting a better understanding on gh, kh, & salt with help from koko's. My next checking into this evening was for using seachem replenish or equilibrium but you answered it for me-replenish is the way to go for my water. Thanks again : )