Sign in to follow this  
knini09

a new filtration system?

Hi, as you know I got a 20 gal. long tank with a ranchu(one and only princess in the tank) I have a sponge filter I believe is proVII well the biggest one in the market. then I got aquaclear 70 set up and running, fully cycled but now I just got more media I want to have running, how can I make this possible? I got no canister and I don't know if I want to have one just yet, well yes I want but the sizes of those things scares me, so I was thinking what if I take my breeder box(you know those boxes that flotes in the tank to keep pregnant fishes so the fry does not get eaten or lost in the tank) and fill it up with all the new media and sponges I got and put it right underneath the water dropping from the aqua clear 70 filter? does it sound like a good idea? and what is more important to have sponge filter or media filter? I know both of them are essential for the tank, but what makes a different the most? I heard that the more media the more bb and so I heard for the sponge. so how to do this? thank you for the help.! :fishtank

That sounds like a good idea. :thumb: Another option would be putting them in a mesh bag and placing them on top of an air stone, if you have one.

In terms of better media, it's hard to tell. BB can grow pretty much everywhere, both on the ceramic media and sponge. What kind of sponge is it? Like foam, or filter floss? Sponge media is mostly used for mechanical filtration, like catching poop and debris, and ceramic media for hosting BB in its porous surface, but they are both equally efficient at holding good amount of BB. I'd fill it with ceramic bio media mostly because they take up less room. ;)

The ceramic media is more important. :D

If I'm about to set up a new tank and need additional media, I put some ceramic media in a mesh bag of some sort and place it on top of an airstone in the tank.

Your one fish will only support so many BBs though as it only produces so much ammonia. I wouldn't add a ton more media.

That sounds like a good idea. :thumb: Another option would be putting them in a mesh bag and placing them on top of an air stone, if you have one.

In terms of better media, it's hard to tell. BB can grow pretty much everywhere, both on the ceramic media and sponge. What kind of sponge is it? Like foam, or filter floss? Sponge media is mostly used for mechanical filtration, like catching poop and debris, and ceramic media for hosting BB in its porous surface, but they are both equally efficient at holding good amount of BB. I'd fill it with ceramic bio media mostly because they take up less room. ;)

it is the aqua clear 70 sponge... thank you!

The ceramic media is more important. :D

If I'm about to set up a new tank and need additional media, I put some ceramic media in a mesh bag of some sort and place it on top of an airstone in the tank.

Your one fish will only support so many BBs though as it only produces so much ammonia. I wouldn't add a ton more media.

and then I was thinking that... so in a nutshell how would I know if adding the extra media would help in any way my tank?

It really depends on the bioload of the tank. BB will only grow as much as the ammonia provided. So, small fish in large tank= small biolad= less BB needed. How large is your ranchu?

It is always a plus to have extra media, however. For example, if your filter dies and the media dries out while you are not home, the media in your tank will serve as a back-up so you don't lose your entire bacteria population. :D

Why do you need so much media?

Here's the thing. In a tank, the absolute maximum number of these beneficial microbes (bacteria and archaea) are limited by how much food (e.g. ammonia and nitrite) is in the environment. If you've supplied sufficient media for colonization, that's fantastic, but adding more would not recruit more BBs. It might distribute the BBs evenly after a while, but that's it.