When to Add a Sponge Filter

goldiegeek

Hi Guys,

I have had the worst luck with raising fry. I usually lose the eggs at day 4. This last spawning I left the eggs in the main tank until day 6 and then moved them to a container to hatch. I had 23 but am down to 19 (born January 1st). I want to make sure I am doing everything I can to keep them healthy. I'll be starting Prazi in a few days. I want to know, as I've heard differing opinions, when do you add your sponge filter? Some say one week, some say 72 hours. I've also heard one month. When is the best time?

I keep one in the whole time, but a small one and since you use an air pump to run it I put a flow valve on the line so I can reduce filtration to a VERY slow rate. When mine have eggs I immediately put them in their own tank with a heater to maintain a stable temp and I have the sponge filter on low.

I keep one in the whole time, but a small one and since you use an air pump to run it I put a flow valve on the line so I can reduce filtration to a VERY slow rate. When mine have eggs I immediately put them in their own tank with a heater to maintain a stable temp and I have the sponge filter on low.

Sounds reasonable. I didn't put mine in until about the three week mark last time, as much as I wanted it in right away. I think I'll put it in today. It's just so scary when they are so small. Thanks!

Your welcome, I just find it easier to put in when they are eggs still so I don't smash anyone putting it on later.

That's what I'm cringing at right now lol. I'm glad they're in a separate container so I can add the filter to the small tank before they go in:) Phew!

Hi Guys,

I have had the worst luck with raising fry. I usually lose the eggs at day 4. ....

sorry to hear that. sometimes happens. I have found that there are a few things that can really screw up a spawn fast. Such as water quality, parasite infest, and poor food quality control. I have made some bad mistakes in all of those areas and now always treat for fluke early, turn off the filters during hatch and first days, and provide plenty of live food and of course maintain high quality water conditions. hope these thoughts help.

Hi Guys,

I have had the worst luck with raising fry. I usually lose the eggs at day 4. ....

sorry to hear that. sometimes happens. I have found that there are a few things that can really screw up a spawn fast. Such as water quality, parasite infest, and poor food quality control. I have made some bad mistakes in all of those areas and now always treat for fluke early, turn off the filters during hatch and first days, and provide plenty of live food and of course maintain high quality water conditions. hope these thoughts help.

Thanks so much, awesome points. I have definitely done the poor food management (not getting every little piece out) and the delayed Prazi. This go around I am doing 50% water changes daily ensuring all food/waste is siphoned out. I am leaving smaller amounts of food in for 45 minutes only, three times a day and am starting Prazi today at one week old. Fingers crossed. Great points. I found myself getting lost in the details of fry care... and as always, keeping the basics in mind is more important:)