Injured fish

chrisinha

George had an accident 2 nights ago. He got stuck in one of the ornaments and is severly injured :(
I've added Melafix and aquarium salt to the tank. I dont have a hospital tank and cant set one up. Anything else I can do without disrupting my tank's ecosystem?

Without the full info needed, the mods will have a hard time assisting. Pics would be extremely helpful to determine the extent of injury. If it is fairly minimal, salt and clean water do wonders by themselves but post all the data so a qualified (ie. not me :no:) person can assist.

There is list of questions up top. If you could please answer them, as well as telling us how much salt and Melafix you've used, that's great. Also, pics or a video will be of great help!

I'm so sorry to hear this. My fish just had a similar experience - he got stuck between driftwood and the tank wall. In addition to filling out the checklist, please describe the injuries in detail and provide photos and video if possible.

A quarantine tank will be necessary if your fish is badly injured. This serves a few purposes, including clean water and isolation (healthy fish are known to pick at sick or injured fish and may do so when you are not looking). Also, if medications are needed, you don't want to treat the healthy fish. Medications, and remedies such as Melafix, should only be used on sick fish when necessary and can actually do harm when used on healthy fish. A QT can be as simple as a $5-10 Sterilite tub; it does not need to be a big, expensive tank.

I wish you and your fish the best of luck.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk