Static Water?

• Helper

Sorry if this isn't the right place, feel free to move.

Anyway, I walked past my axolotl tank earlier, and noticed that the filter (which is an internal one) had come unstuck from the side of the glass. So I put my hand in to pick it up and put it back in position and when I touched the water I got 'zapped'. It was like quite a strong shock, like static but much stronger than like from carpet or whatever.

It seems fine now, I can touch it without problems, but am wondering what could have caused this and is it going to cause any harm to my axolotl?

I don't think so. I got shocked really hard last week from the water dispenser at work. I think if it had caused any problems with your fish, you would have noticed it immediately after the shock occurred.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

• Supporter

Anyway, I walked past my axolotl tank earlier, and noticed that the filter (which is an internal one) had come unstuck from the side of the glass. So I put my hand in to pick it up and put it back in position and when I touched the water I got 'zapped'. It was like quite a strong shock, like static but much stronger than like from carpet or whatever.

It seems fine now, I can touch it without problems, but am wondering what could have caused this and is it going to cause any harm to my axolotl?

i am not sure what would cause it... do you have a heater in there? i would have ALL electrical appliances for that tank either replaced or checked. it's just not worth the risk for you or the axolotl. better be safe than sorry.

If you got shocked, I would not take the chance and keep that filter. Do you have a heater in that tank? Could it have been the heater and maybe not the filter?

Sniped by Helen. :pp

Edited by Mikey

i am not sure what would cause it... do you have a heater in there? i would have ALL electrical appliances for that tank either replaced or checked. it's just not worth the risk for you or the axolotl. better be safe than sorry.

I completely agree with this. That definitely isn't supposed to happen. I ran an internal filter on my betta tank for a while and never got zapped. Seriously, malfunctioning electrical devices and water don't mix.

I completely agree with this. That definitely isn't supposed to happen. I ran an internal filter on my betta tank for a while and never got zapped. Seriously, malfunctioning electrical devices and water don't mix.

Queer and very unsafe. You might have an unsafe grounding issue. Since you are in Australia, which uses 240v you are at twice the shock risk of us North Americans. It would be worthwhile finding out why you received this shock. Use 3 prong devices if possible, as they have a secondary ground built in.

In this case you provided a quick route to the ground, thus completing the circuit. This is how you received the shock. Your axolot, not having contact with the ground, cound not complete the circuit and is, therefore safe. This is similar to birds that perch on high voltage electrical transmission wires: They are completely safe because they have no access to a ground. Put a drunk bloke up there thrashing around and touching poles and other wires and he will die by electric shock.

Water and electricity, as stated do not mix. We have GFCI outlets here in North America that will shut the power off if it detects an unsafe ground. There must be something similar in Aus?

As an aside, did your hair go curly?

• Helper

Thanks everyone. I touched the water again today to see if it was a one off thing but got zapped again. The filter is now unplugged but I wont be able to get a new one until next week :( Thanks for explaining about the axolotl been ok, I was worried.

The filter is the only thing in the tank since they don't like warm water or a lot of light :P

My hair didn't go curly ;)

Here are some adapters that will make your outlet function as a GFCI outlet. If there is a fault in the circuit it will turn off. I'm sure you can find these locally. I like the second one since I always need more outlets. :)

I completely agree with this. That definitely isn't supposed to happen. I ran an internal filter on my betta tank for a while and never got

Water and electricity, as stated do not mix. We have GFCI outlets here in North America that will shut the power off if it detects an unsafe ground. There must be something similar in Aus?

GFCIs (residual current devices) have been compulsory for homes in Australia since before I was born. Unless Mandy's house was built in the 80s or prior, and has had no electrical work done to it in that time, the mains should trip. Ours have done so several times with faulty electronics.

Thanks everyone. I touched the water again today to see if it was a one off thing but got zapped again. The filter is now unplugged but I wont be able to get a new one until next week :( Thanks for explaining about the axolotl been ok, I was worried.

The filter is the only thing in the tank since they don't like warm water or a lot of light :P

My hair didn't go curly ;)

That is scary if it happened again. I would contact your electric company. I get shocked by things from time to time, and normally don't think much of it, but if it's happened a few times, especially in a fish tank, you could have an electrical problem that needs to get resolved quickly.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Edited by *Amanda*

• Helper

I completely agree with this. That definitely isn't supposed to happen. I ran an internal filter on my betta tank for a while and never got

GFCIs (residual current devices) have been compulsory for homes in Australia since before I was born. Unless Mandy's house was built in the 80s or prior, and has had no electrical work done to it in that time, the mains should trip. Ours have done so several times with faulty electronics.

Missed this, but yea, I've tripped it quite a few times, like when I accidentally dropped the hose when I was filling the tank up and it went all over the powerboard...I knew if it was really bad that it would trip it but I'm going to get a new filter to be safe.

• Helper

I found a cheapo filter today, I don't think it's big enough for the tank really but it will do for keeping some water movement and holding the media until I can get a good one. (This one was only $9 lol)

I think it just made me feel ancient realizing that you are not even a child of the 80s. :rofl :rofl :rofl

I think it just made me feel ancient realizing that you are not even a child of the 80s. :rofl :rofl :rofl

90s represent. :rofl :rofl :rofl