Mysterygirl's Floating-World

mysterygirl

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh no, Cali! A weird bump on her shoulder. Bacterical cyst?  

CaliCystcaption.jpg

I've maintained a quarantine tank, so she's just adjusting in a giant bucket of half pond water/ half tank water. I'm starting a Medi-gold course of anti-biotics. I'll list this in the disease section too.

Edited by mysterygirl

Yify is beautiful! 

No one has ever said that about YIFY before. She almost can't believe you really mean it.   :bighug  

I hope she surprises us all. Cali.....well, we're just standing by for a few weeks. Her D&D thread is HERE

Edited by mysterygirl

Yify is beautiful! 

No one has ever said that about YIFY before. She almost can't believe you really mean it.   :bighug  

I hope she surprises us all. Cali.....well, we're just standing by for a few weeks. Her D&D thread is HERE

I hope Cali feels better!

I agree that Yify is beautiful.  :wub:

Today marks my 2nd year anniverysary as a Koko's member. I can't imagine how my fish would be doing without you all. 

pondinLateNov2015.jpg

The pond in late November 2015

Edited by mysterygirl

Cali is back in the pond with her friends, and what a difference in her behavior.

From not moving, moping, bottom sitting, cowering in fear to .....the active Cali that we remember within an hour.

She really didn't like the tank, or being alone. Poor thing, so scared. She still has the bump. But is just happier now. If she doesn't have much time left, I'd rather see her like this.

Oh, and I turned on the UV light today. I'll leave it on for a few days and then turn it off again. 

She wasn't raised from an egg - but at least 3 years old, perhaps 4? She weighs about 250 grams.

Now when I feed the fish I so appreciate her acting normal. Funny what we take for granted until it disappears.

I've been giving her 7 medi-gold antibiotic pellets each day, and she's doing better than I'd thought she do catching them before any other fish. A few more days to go. And my Acriflavine arrived today, as a backup.

My sweet girl. Here is a photo of her a year ago:

CaliGOTM1.19.14.jpg

Here's the Cali bump when we released her back into the pond. She is still on antibiotics.

CaliBumpNov25.jpg

The bump seems less yellow. 

She is acting completely normal in the pond, I'd say sprightly. 

She wasn't raised from an egg - 

I meant that we didn't raise her from an egg. She wasn't raised from an egg here so her birth time is uncertain. 

Edited by mysterygirl

How do you treat with antibiotics in the pond?

I wait until she's away from the school and drop sinking medi-gold pellets in front of her. This method worked well with Vanilli.

I wasn't sure Cali could handle it,  which is why I removed her, but she's catching them before any other fish. Only 3 days to go. I'm not sure it is helping her bump, unfortunately. Vanilli's cyst, for comparison, is completely cured.

Edited by mysterygirl

I wanted to add that I realize how important it is for the healthy fish NOT to get any antibiotics. The method above requires paitience, as I wait her to completely consume a pellet before dropping another for her to catch. She gets 7.

• 4 weeks later...

Who's been eating the cat's food?

Last week the cat food bowl in our garage had been suspiciously moved. There was water spilled from the water bowl, and paw prints that we guessed belonged to a hungry raccoon.  We started to shut the cat door after midnight and moved L33t’s food and water inside. L33t, our cat prefers to sleep as high up as he can, as our cat door is always open for him, and we occasionally see evidence unwelcome guests.

HighTechKitty.jpg

On top of his game: our cat L33T putting the "high" in high-tech

Sounding the alarm of “raccoon!” to an outdoor pond owner is like yelling fire in film theatre. After reading about Koko’s tragic event with the raccoon family and her pond, I had purchased a used raccoon-sized Havahart. I saw a silhouette of a raccoon-sized animal across the street a few evenings later and that was all the encouragement I needed.

I baited the trap with cashews & banana. I set it behind a bush, where I had full view of its status from my living room window. It would be cruel to not check the trap at least every 12 hours. Then we waited.

On the fifth day I was rewarded at 3PM by a large fur ball in the trap, a sleeping fully- grown opossum!

opossum.jpg
(not the one I caught - but the same trap and a similar size)

I covered the trap it with a couple of towels, fed it and wondered where to take it. The two wildlife rescue places I called informed me that 

a. it is illegal to trap and relocate animals like this.

b. If you do catch one, you need to let it go within 3 miles of its home.

Too late now!  I drove it to a large local park with trees next to a stream and left it an offering of an apple and an orange.  I wish it well.

Opossums don't fish, but will eat frogs. He got a few of my tomatoes last year too.