seriously concerned

msmayhem

So I've returned to kokos with a bigger tank :) a beautiful 55 gal! I got the back ground painted and I'm just waiting for my AC110 to arrive which should be soon so I can start my cycle.

16lbdbr.jpg

Today, I found my self wandering into my LFS.. and some how a calico fantail and a oranda came home with me.. the details inbetween are fuzzy. lol

Any how I decided to set up a temp. quarantine tank out of a food safe storage bin. I put in a air stone and a small sponge filter. Im doing daily 100%water changes so no worries. I added prime.

30bmijp.jpg

my only concern is that I may have put them in the tank before they could properly get use to the temp... the tanks a chilly 50 degrees... and they are bottom sitting... thats a bad a sign right? they occasionally swim around I've been letting them rest with lights off. im just scared its to much a shock. should I get a heater?

Is there any way you can keep them in the tub? It would be best to QT them in the bin so you avoid draining 50 gallons every day/every day. I would be a good idea starting QT procedures, soon :)

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/105076-schedules-for-the-treatment-of-flukes-etc-using-praziquantel/

Since their metabolism decreases and they are unable to really process food at about 50 degrees, I would go ahead and get a heater...unless the tub's temp is higher :)

Bottom sitting could mean that they were either abruptly transferred to water of a different temperature, or that they are going dormant from the cold water. If you did not properly acclimate them to the tank, suspect they are in a bit of shock from the new temp. Is the cold temperature an ongoing thing? Or you just filled the tank with cold water? When did you put them in the new tank and how long have they been bottomsitting?

A heater would be a good idea. It will gradually bring up the temperature and keep it stable.

Edited by Georgia

20hptkw.jpg

Great news! I paniced and bought a heater for my babies... but the door didn't have a heater guard so I rigid up a wall so that the goldies are safe.

After an hour or so they perked right up! Thanks guys for your rapid response. The temp out side is way below freezing and my water just comes out that cold our water heater is out from the storm.

Is there any way you can keep them in the tub? It would be best to QT them in the bin so you avoid draining 50 gallons every day/every day. I would be a good idea starting QT procedures, soon :)

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/105076-schedules-for-the-treatment-of-flukes-etc-using-praziquantel/

Since their metabolism decreases and they are unable to really process food at about 50 degrees, I would go ahead and get a heater...unless the tub's temp is higher :)

I think you mis read my post lol. my 55 gal is cycling.. I have the goldies in a food safe storage bin :-)

I think you mis read my post lol. my 55 gal is cycling.. I have the goldies in a food safe storage bin :-)

I know :teehee I was just suggesting you quarantine them in the tub so you don't have to drain your 55 gallon, and once the procedures are done, you add them to the 55 gallon :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

If your heater is still out, you may want to get a bin or a few buckets of water into the same room they are in so that the temps will be a lot closer between the two when you change the water:)