Just Frustrated - A Bit of a Rant

When my 8 year old comet spot died over the summer I started looking for fish to replace him. I found two ryukins and a loach I really liked and put them in my 55g and thought I was done. (My 10 year old loach had died some months previously).

No sooner had I done that then my LFS got a single ranchu in. I'd never seen one here before, so I had to get him. I justified myself because I was planning on upgrading anyway. He was soon followed by two more ranchus from the next shipment - an all blue and a blue with orange and magenta from Japan. I thought the new tank was just around the corner and was willing to do daily water changes if neccessary. Then came the black moor, which was just dumb, but I had a 100g tank I was looking at in a couple days. Plus I would still have the 55g.

Had you asked me over the summer I would have told you that the new tank would be purchased, cycled, planted and up and running by Christmas at the absolute latest.

I have been combing kijiji (kind of like craiglist here in Canada) on a daily basis. I have contacted so many sellers. Some tanks are a great price, but too big (the 200g tank would never fit in my living room, at least not if I kept any furniture). Other tanks look great, are the right price, but don't have a stand. This is a deal breaker for me because I live in an apartment and don't have the means or location to make my own, so if I can't buy it . . . Other tanks look great online, are priced well, but once I see them in person find cracks or questionable caulking. At this point there's several tanks I've bypassed because I thought they were priced too high (i.e. someone expecting to get their full investment back after running the tank for years) that I'm now regretting passing up.

To make matters worse I just got outbid on two tanks I was willing to pay asking price for!!

I don't mind the continuous water changes, or that I have my only female living in quarantine because she's getting harrassed. I do feel incredibly guilty that I overstocked thinking things would be ok. The fish are all still young and small and have plenty of room to swim. I keep the water parameters well within ideal zones. But I still feel guilty and frustrated. I just want my new tank!!

I am now looking at brand new setups.

If you made it this far thanks for reading my rant.

I'm sorry, Bronwyn, but you deserve so much kudos for taking care of your fish so well. I hope that something awesome comes along your way ASAP, so that you don't have to spend on a brand new set up. :)

I think this is one of the reasons why we tell people don't plan for fish based on a future upgrade. Lots of things can happen between planning and actualization. I am really happy that you are able to resolve the issue though. :)

:bighug

:) I'm sorry things aren't working out as you planned :idont

Keep your chin up! It will all work out swimmingly in the end :Jig:

I can relate... I'm so sorry. I'm sending all the good wishes I can your way. :bighug:heart

There is a tank out there waiting for you and I can't wait until you find one another. :teehee

• Supporter

After reading this I want to make you a stand and deliver it too you. But I don't think I could swing the trip usless it was one way lol.

I wish you luck.

I've been thinking of rehoming my only female goldfish because sometimes the boys gang up on her and I think they are going to end up killing her. So I can understand you doing that aswell.:hug

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I know temporary housing doesn't look pretty but I've used many a containers to house fish. It took me two and half years to find a tank that I liked at a price that I liked. In the spring people will be cleaning out their stuff and you may find the tank you want then :)

• Supporter

I totally understand and sympathize... especially about the feeling guilty part, but you are doing a great job taking care of those little guys. You will find the perfect tank and hopefully for a great price and then those goldies will be in heaven with all of their swimming room :D

Thank you everyone for your kind words. I feel a lot better, but the push is definitely on to find the tank. I'm really hoping someone got an upgrade for Christmas and will list their old tank online. Mind you I'm looking for such a large tank this might not work, but a girl can dream!

So I've got a little good news. There was a 45g corner aquarium set up. The whole deal: tank, lid, lights, filter (a fluval), heater and stand for $50. I thought I missed it because no sooner had I e-mailed the seller than she changed the title of the ad to include 'Sold -- PPU Sunday"

Today I noticed the ad was still up with the same title. I decided to take a risk and e-mail her again asking if the pick up fell through. Sure enough it did!! She had already set a day next week for him to come by again, but she said that if he missed that one too the tank was mine. Yay!

It's not the 100+g I was hoping for, but combined with my 55g that's 100g. I won't be able to have all the fish in the same tank, but given Nephthys' recent issues that's ok. I'll probably put her in there with Baldrick who has been uninterested in her and remains unsexed.

This may sound mean, but I'd appreciate any and all good thoughts towards the pick up falling through!

• Supporter

My fingers are crossed for you that the pickup falls through and you get that awesome system all to yourself!! Keep us posted and let us know how it goes! I'm sending good vibes your way :)

What about getting another smaller tank instead of one big one? I have 3 tanks totaling 111 gallons in my boyfriend's 1 bedroom apartment and it works great. We added the two tanks when we found ourselves with too many fish and not enough water, like you. Also, with smaller tanks you don't necessarily need a stand; our 36 gal and 20 gal both sit on sturdy dressers. Only our 55 gal has a stand.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Fingers crossed you get the tank! :)

I know you said you don't want to build a stand, but if it came down to a standless tank, have you considered a concrete block stand? They're not overly complicated.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/101199-concrete-block-aquarium-stand/

Have you advertised yourself? This is really common in Norway because people have tons of stuff in their houses and don't always think about selling it (even if they are not using it). I would think about becoming a guy named Gus looking for a 45 plus tank at a max price of X and see what come up.

Good luck on finding what you're lookking for, I'm from Canada too and have been looking through kijiji like crazy, I'm looking for a 90-100g but its mostly small tanks in there, I have a 29g, a 25g, a 20g and a 10g qt. I'm upgrading so I can put all my adults together. It's pretty hard to find a stand for a large tank unless you order online and pay up the @$$... Or know someone that can build you one for the cost if materials. Just a suggestion you don't technically need an 'aquarium' stand if you can get your hands in a piece of used furniture that's sturdy enough, make sure its solid wood and built well, that's what I've done with most of my tanks, either solid wood hutches or large metal/wooden dressers, I always look at kijiji at the used furniture section with my tank measurements and look under the display/hutches and tv stand section, heavy duty tv stands also work well because they already usually have the pree drilled holes for all your aquarium wiring, good luck on the search and post pics when you find something

Have you advertised yourself? This is really common in Norway because people have tons of stuff in their houses and don't always think about selling it (even if they are not using it). I would think about becoming a guy named Gus looking for a 45 plus tank at a max price of X and see what come up.

Why would she pretend she's a guy named Gus? Lol

This is so she will not get wierd replies from guys wanting more than to simply sell her a tank.

Edited by TorontoBoy

?

Have you advertised yourself? ?This is really common in Norway because people have tons of stuff in their houses and don't always think about selling it (even if they are not using it). ?I would think about becoming a guy named Gus looking for a 45 plus tank at a max price of X and see what come up.

?

This is so she will not get wierd replies from guys wanting more than to simply sell her a tank.

Exactly.

I would also put out your own ad. That was how I got my 180. A guy in south carolina saw it and emailed me.

Thank you everyone for your good wishes!

What about getting another smaller tank instead of one big one? I have 3 tanks totaling 111 gallons in my boyfriend's 1 bedroom apartment and it works great. We added the two tanks when we found ourselves with too many fish and not enough water, like you. Also, with smaller tanks you don't necessarily need a stand; our 36 gal and 20 gal both sit on sturdy dressers. Only our 55 gal has a stand.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I am now considering a second tank because I'm going to have to keep Nephthys separate from the boys. Originally I wanted one larger tank because the only way to convince my husband to make space for another tank is if I gave him my 55g. (He gave up his 33g some years ago and now only has his 10g). But I think I have him convinced now.

Fingers crossed you get the tank! :)

I know you said you don't want to build a stand, but if it came down to a standless tank, have you considered a concrete block stand? They're not overly complicated.
http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/101199-concrete-block-aquarium-stand/

That's a thought!

I haven't put up an ad myself because I didn't want a bunch of weird e-mail replies. I get enough of those when I try to sell something! But perhaps Gus would feel better about placing an ad ;) .

Good luck on finding what you're lookking for, I'm from Canada too and have been looking through kijiji like crazy, I'm looking for a 90-100g but its mostly small tanks in there, I have a 29g, a 25g, a 20g and a 10g qt. I'm upgrading so I can put all my adults together. It's pretty hard to find a stand for a large tank unless you order online and pay up the @$$... Or know someone that can build you one for the cost if materials. Just a suggestion you don't technically need an 'aquarium' stand if you can get your hands in a piece of used furniture that's sturdy enough, make sure its solid wood and built well, that's what I've done with most of my tanks, either solid wood hutches or large metal/wooden dressers, I always look at kijiji at the used furniture section with my tank measurements and look under the display/hutches and tv stand section, heavy duty tv stands also work well because they already usually have the pree drilled holes for all your aquarium wiring, good luck on the search and post pics when you find something

I don't want to use furniture because I was wanting a 100g+ and I was pretty convinced I wouldn't find something sturdy enough or even the right dimensions, but Dan's suggestion seems reasonable. Of course now that I'm thinking about another 45-50g furniture doesn't seem as unreasonable.