40 Gallon Breeder Lighting.

Hi guys. I purchased a 40 gallon breeder + stand the first day of Petco's $1 per gallon sale. I was crossing my fingers that the light fixture from my 40 long would fit it, but it's just a hair off. It kind of fits, but it sits awkwardly with one end on the inner lip of the tank and the other end on the outer rim. So I guess I'm in the market for a new light.

I've been looking on Petco and PetSmart's websites and I'm kind of overwhelmed with all the options. I have no idea which one I really would need or want for my tank. My current light is just a basic Aqueon fluorescent w/ a piece of acrylic I cut to size to fit under it. I'd like to keep the price below $75 if possible.

What do you suggest?

-via Tapatalk

Marineland Single Bright LED Lighting System

36 - 48 inches $62.99 with free shipping

http://www.amazon.com/Marineland-32999-Aquarium-Lighting-36-Inch/dp/B0045LAS3O/ref=sr_sp-btf_title_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1388646056&sr=8-4&keywords=led+aquarium+light

This is what I would recommend and the reviews are great. The price on amazon is much lower than what you would find at the big box stores

What is the light for? Is it solely for illuminating fish or will plants be involved too? If it's the former, a simple LED fixture like the one mentioned by Yuki will suffice.

Before you buy a new fixture, does your current fixture have mounting holes? You may be able to suspend your fixture above the tank instead.

I just purchased a Beamworks LED light from Ebay for $60 for my 40G breeder. It's 35 inches. It states it is 2400 lumen which is much more than the Marineland lights. I have not received it yet, so I cannot endorse it at this point, but the reviews I have read online seem encouraging. This is a link to the light

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111221243601?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

What is the light for? Is it solely for illuminating fish or will plants be involved too? If it's the former, a simple LED fixture like the one mentioned by Yuki will suffice.

Before you buy a new fixture, does your current fixture have mounting holes? You may be able to suspend your fixture above the tank instead.

Just for illuminating the fish/basic light. I don't have live plants and don't plan to in the near future. I'm fairly sure the old fixture doesn't have mounting holes.

-via Tapatalk

Sounds like you could go with just about anything long/wide enough. :)

On my 40B I had a Marineland 21" hidden led light in the middle of the tank and it did an okay job. Two of the 17" ones would have done better just for length. I liked those just because I didn't have a big fixture up on top of my tank.

On my 55 I just used a cheap shop light I bought from the department store. It's strong enough to create algae, though, so I don't really care for it.

Edited by ChelseaM

I have the model, in the link below, on my goldfish tank and love it. It wasn't the cheapest option which is why I thought I would try the Beamworks strip. I will post a follow up when I get the new light (hopefully on Monday).

http://current-usa.com/aquarium-led-lights/satellite-freshwater-led-plus/

I've actually got an old storefront sign that uses three 24 inch T8 bulbs that I'm using; I just removed the little plastic cover with the store name on it and replaced it with a transparent one. I need new bulbs though.

I actually have a piece of glass with my old 20" fixture still on the 40 breeder. I like being able to have some shade in the tank. :teehee

Can't wait to see pictures of your tank with a new fixture, though. :D

On my 40B I had a Marineland 21" hidden led light in the middle of the tank and it did an okay job. Two of the 17" ones would have done better just for length. I liked those just because I didn't have a big fixture up on top of my tank.

Actually because of the lil knobby things on the end and the way the cord comes out of the other end, 2 17" lights won't fit on the 40B. Trust me, I tried. :lol2

Actually because of the lil knobby things on the end and the way the cord comes out of the other end, 2 17" lights won't fit on the 40B. Trust me, I tried. :lol2

One on the front left, one on the back right, or vise versa. ;)

OK, so the LED strip came yesterday. The packaging was nice and the build of the light seems very solid. I replaced a single strip T12 light with the new one. I really like the light brightness and the color of the lights on the new strip. It is not super bright, but it looks nice on my tank and I have low light plants. Overall, I am very happy with it out of the box, so I hope the durability of the unit is good. I think for the price, it can't be beat since there are no $20 bulbs to replace every 6-12 months.